Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus moving in to T5 at JFK, easing interline connections with Jetblue

Aer Lingus moving in to T5 at JFK, easing interline connections with Jetblue

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Just checked and Houston is a JetBlue city and excluded from the codeshare.

The answer seems to be UA exterting some power.
Aer Lingus at Jetblue is essentially JetBlue's answer to the Delta/Virgin Atlantic or British Airways/American Airlines alliance at JFK.

Obviously Business travelers who need direct service won't use Aer Lingus but for leisure and for customers looking for the cheapest possible price on a UK flight, Aer Lingus seems to be a well run carrier that handles it.

Even other carriers are expanding flights to Dublin to compete against Aer Lingus as well.

New York-JFK (begins 13 June 2013) for American Airlines to Dublin

Delta will compete along with Aer Lingus and AA @ JFK for Dublin flights.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Details on the new JFK T5 lounge

Over on Jaunted:

JetBlue's Terminal 5 at JFK is Getting a Lounge! With Showers! And Free Booze!

Hot breakfast sandwiches. Free WiFi. A power outlet for each comfy chair. A slick bar stocking all the good stuff for complimentary cocktails. Cheese plates. Private restrooms with showers. Macbooks.

Hello, this is airport heaven.

Though it kinda sounds like we've been describing an ultra-premium airline lounge for elite flyers at some exotic international airport, all this is in fact coming to a new lounge within Terminal 5 at New York-JFK, aka the home of JetBlue. It's to be called Airspace, and travelers will find it come May 2013 after security, near Gate 24....
One free alcoholic drink? That'll never work
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Over on Jaunted:

One free alcoholic drink? That'll never work
You beat me to it. New Lounge at JetBlue Terminal, about time. Great for Aer Lingus flights since it will be the longest haul flight at T5.

Airports in the NYC market were lackluster compared to the rest of the world, but lots of ongoing improvements.

Aer Lingus is an A330 and T5i won't be ready till 2015 so which terminal will Aer Lingus be using at T5? And will it migrate to T5i once that is complete?

If JetBlue uses one gate for Aer Lingus isn't it a reduction of gates till T5i is ready or is one gate of the new T5i expansion actually ready yet?

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
Aer Lingus is an A330 and T5i won't be ready till 2015 so which terminal will Aer Lingus be using at T5?
I assume Aer Lingus will use the same gate that Hawaiian uses with its daily A330. Not sure which number it is but I believe it's the one on the end (on the side where T5i will eventually be built). All Aer Lingus flights should be precleared at DUB/SNN so they won't need an international gate.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FoxBravo
I assume Aer Lingus will use the same gate that Hawaiian uses with its daily A330. Not sure which number it is but I believe it's the one on the end (on the side where T5i will eventually be built). All Aer Lingus flights should be precleared at DUB/SNN so they won't need an international gate.
Makes sense. What carriers will go into T5i? Most partners have other alliances.

Hawaiian Airlines and Aer Lingus will be the biggest jets so far at the JetBlue terminal with A330's.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
What carriers will go into T5i? Most partners have other alliances.
Probably just JetBlue. The main purpose of T5i is to allow JetBlue to clear international arrivals at its own terminal, instead of having them arrive at T4 and towing the aircraft over to T5 for departures as they do now. It will make things much easier for international-to-domestic connections. They might consider allowing partners in on a one-off basis as opportunities arise, like HA and EI, but I don't think adding other carriers is the primary goal.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
It appears that SFO is the no. 3 interline destination from DUB - I'd say EI feels there is sufficient traffic on the route to merit investigating it once again; I imagine the yield guys in route planning have a special folder for SFO. When the required yield is achievable we'll certainly see a green light - and the yanks are returning in droves to Ireland now, so I don't think it will be long before we start hearing credible whispers.

You'll note that 4 destinations on the list are also served non-stop by EI ops.

And Toronto is another favourite rumour for EI.

Giving a cut - especially a disproportionately large cut to a short haul interline partner - is no airline's first choice.

The other destinations are just too far for EI with their equipment and the middle-eastern giants have been hoovering up that business. (As an aside, I reckon the JNB is actually a mask for much ultimately CPT-bound traffic, as not so many airlines serve it year-round directly).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), A3 (Gold), Hilton (Gold), Priority Club (Plat)
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
It appears that SFO is the no. 3 interline destination from DUB - I'd say EI feels there is sufficient traffic on the route to merit investigating it once again; I imagine the yield guys in route planning have a special folder for SFO. When the required yield is achievable we'll certainly see a green light - and the yanks are returning in droves to Ireland now, so I don't think it will be long before we start hearing credible whispers.).
Now you're just taunting me
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
Lounge at T5 (JFK) for EI GC pax

FWIW .....

I am reliably informed that GC pax at T5 after EI switch will have lounge access and dedicated GC check in for flights to Ireland
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:24 pm

Greetings, I've two questions and didn't want to have to start own thread, first at least relates to JFK/Jet Blue.

If DUB-JFK on EI is booked separately than same day flight JFK-MSY, will I be able to check in for both flights in DUB and have baggage go all way through to MSY without having to check in with JetBlue at JFK. I realize I'd be okay if both flights were booked through AE at same time, but unsure if AE and JetBlue are booked separately.

Second question is about MSY-LON. Through EI website, I'm only able to book MSY to Dublin or Shannon, with SHN-LON or DUB-LON having to be booked separately. My question is if this last leg is a regional flight booked separately if I'll need to pay baggage fees for regional part, or if the free international bag will carry through without need for additional fee? If anyone's had to book an international with two stopovers like this, would rate be better calling AE to route MSY-LON or same as booking separately online myself asking to be checked all way through?

Much thanks in advance.

Last edited by courspanis; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:15 am Reason: corrected airline code
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I don't think many people here can help with Mandarin Airlines.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by stifle
I don't think many people here can help with Mandarin Airlines.
Corrected to EI, sorry about confusion.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
If DUB-JFK on EI is booked separately than same day flight JFK-MSY, will I be able to check in for both flights in DUB and have baggage go all way through to MSY without having to check in with JetBlue at JFK. I realize I'd be okay if both flights were booked through AE at same time, but unsure if AE and JetBlue are booked separately.
I don't believe so. Aer Lingus will only check bags through to other airlines when it's on the one booking.

Second question is about MSY-LON. Through EI website, I'm only able to book MSY to Dublin or Shannon, with SHN-LON or DUB-LON having to be booked separately. My question is if this last leg is a regional flight booked separately if I'll need to pay baggage fees for regional part, or if the free international bag will carry through without need for additional fee? If anyone's had to book an international with two stopovers like this, would rate be better calling AE to route MSY-LON or same as booking separately online myself asking to be checked all way through?
The check through would be dependent on the JetBlue agents. Technically you probably would be liable for a fee. They used have an carry over long haul allowance for short haul trips between arrival and departure but im not sure if thats still the case.

I'm not sure if Aer Lingus can ticket beyond Dublin with JetBlue connections, but you could always try.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Saw this on Aer Lingus website

Lounge Location
Business class passengers and Gold Circle members are invited to our temporary lounge located at Gate One in Terminal 5.

Other info on the move http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...fkairport/#lou

Didn't see this posted before, apologies if it has
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
JetBlue to Launch Business Class on LAX and SFO

So, now we know why EI has withheld its code... so when will EI announce it's intention to return to the west coast?

http://www.ittn.ie/bulletins/jetblue/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.