Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus offering Status Match to BMI Destination Club Members.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat

email received from Aer Lingus today.

Dear xxxx

As one of our Gold Circle applicant members we would like to thank for your valued custom.

Based on your feedback we understand that you may also be a member of other Frequent Flyer programmes.

As a service to our Gold Circle applicant members we are delighted to offer existing BMI Diamond Club Blue, Gold and Silver members the opportunity to tier match your current Diamond Club status to your Gold Circle account†. Full details of all Gold Circle membership benefits can be found on our website aerlingus.com

BMI Blue members are eligible for Gold level membership of our Gold Circle Club , BMI Silver members can avail of our Gold Circle Prestige level benefits and BMI Gold level members will be offered all the benefits of Gold Circle Elite membership.

Gold Circle Tier membership offers you the ability to redeem your existing Gold Circle points for reward flights and all tier members have access to Gold Circle lounges*. Full details of all Gold Circle membership benefits can be found on our website aerlingus.com

To avail of this facility simply click here and complete the tier matching form. As soon as your application is processed we will send you a new Gold Circle membership card valid for 12 months allowing you access to all the benefits of Gold Circle Membership.

†Status tier match on Gold Circle account valid for 12 months from date of application. After 12 months normal Gold Circle membership criteria will apply.
*Reward flights subject to availability. Standard Gold Circle terms and conditions apply Gold Circle lounge access available when travelling on Aer Lingus operated flights only.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catharsis
Destination Club?

cheers,

Henry
Old May 31, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Emirates Silver, Aer Lingus GC Gold
I got this email too. I usually travel on BA codeshare flights with EI so wont get any benefit from the offer, but i cant understand why EI are doing this?
Can anyone explain the reason for the status match after the sale of BMI to BA?

Thanks in Advance,

J
Old May 31, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Capture BD's Dublin/Belfast to London travelers.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by colmc
Capture BD's Dublin/Belfast to London travelers.
By giving free Gold Circle membership to everyone?
Old May 31, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
With it's limited benefits outside of EI, I doubt everyone will be rushing. I highly doubt that outside FT etc, a massive contingent of BD fliers will jump ship - especially with BA and other *A programs matching BD Gold.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
2 years on, I've just received another soft landing, this time to Gold.

Thanks again, Aer Lingus!
Old May 28, 2014, 3:10 am

Yes a few have reported this over the last few days so not bad for nothing ! Still next year I predict a drop in EI GC membership as many seem to say they have given up on it and wont renew even at basic level.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Yep, I got a soft landing too - and, you know, while the GC staff are great, the programme lacks any meaningful stickiness for me - and there's close to no incentive in using this programme.

If you worked for a blue chip with a corporate deal on EI and were regularly doing TATL runs in Y, well perhaps there would be something for the uninitiated, but that is not using the FFP to attract business...
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
just wondering if anyone has successfully had ba silver status matched?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Yep, I got a soft landing too - and, you know, while the GC staff are great, the programme lacks any meaningful stickiness for me - and there's close to no incentive in using this programme.

If you worked for a blue chip with a corporate deal on EI and were regularly doing TATL runs in Y, well perhaps there would be something for the uninitiated, but that is not using the FFP to attract business...
I had friends in a tech company in Ireland who used their EI points for upgrades. They flew Y normally and would regularly do TATL runs and other trips around Europe. Doing the math you need to do 7 return economy flights to earn 1 one-way upgrade. Or 2 business flights. or 27 one-way European flights.

27 european flights for a one-way TATL upgrade isn't a bad deal though. Try that on United and you'll get *A Silver and enough miles for a shorthaul award.

7 return TATL economy flights would get you *G but not upgrades (Unless you did it on AC but the new co-pays on upgrades pretty much make those worthless now.

I suppose this is enough to incentivize someone to fly EI over Ryanair and fly EI over connecting in LHR or AMS but only barely.

FWIW I did the status match thing too and I lost it entirely after a year. I guess if you don't credit any miles they didn't do the soft landing :/
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Built in to your argument is the assumption that all, or even many, flights will qualify for GC point. The reality that almost no flight booked will earn, because the cheapest fare on offer never earns until about 1 week before departure.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Indeed! I fly Aer Lingus relatively frequently but have only had perhaps two mileage-earning sectors in the last 5 years.

You could fly Aer Lingus every day and never become a Gold Circle member. And there really is no incentive to become a member. But it's been nice having this succession of shiny cards from them these past few years :-)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Built in to your argument is the assumption that all, or even many, flights will qualify for GC point. The reality that almost no flight booked will earn, because the cheapest fare on offer never earns until about 1 week before departure.
Well it works if you buy plus fares (and have the patience to retro claim most of them).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:19 am

Totally agree its actually a program you would love to be in if only they made it more than a basic product. As a GC Elite/Prestige member you should get free seat selection and one free bag on European routes. You don't get Elite from flying Euro routes so it must be mostly TATL in Prem fares. So clients should be rewarded accordingly.

For basic GC tier seat selection and one extra bag if you pay for one would be an advantage. Just to add a bit more to make it worthwhile to those who maybe do 2-3 TATL a year but 10-15 EU flights also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.