Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Airlines MCT/Interline missed connection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean Airlines MCT/Interline missed connection question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would have thought that this is obvious. You pick up and recheck bags at the first port of entry. If I was flying DEL-EWR-PVD, I would pick up my bag at EWR and recheck it. Why should it be any different for Greece?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I would have thought that this is obvious. You pick up and recheck bags at the first port of entry. If I was flying DEL-EWR-PVD, I would pick up my bag at EWR and recheck it. Why should it be any different for Greece?
If you'd fly DEL-HEL-RVN you wouldn't recheck your bags.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
It's not in the least obvious to me - these things vary wildly from country to country and from airline to airline and airport to airport. I regard the 'collect bag at point of entry' thing as an particularly American peculiarity; think about intra-Schengen connections - you collect baggage at your destination regardless of your origin - think of EWR-FRA-ATH - you would never think of collecting your bags at FRA on a thru-ticket, would you?

Of course, if travelling on two separate tickets that might be different, depending on how the EWR agent tags your bags. My experience of such things is that they will typically will onward-tag it for you in America.

Now if an airport doesn't have a customs facility (leading to the American peculiarity of humping bags form one belt to another) then you would need to collect your bag, clear it and re-deposit it.

I'm not disagreeing with the ATH procedure (because I simply don't know), but it's not a foregone conclusion and certainly not obvious, unless you have been told.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
It's not in the least obvious to me - these things vary wildly from country to country and from airline to airline and airport to airport. I regard the 'collect bag at point of entry' thing as an particularly American peculiarity; think about intra-Schengen connections - you collect baggage at your destination regardless of your origin - think of EWR-FRA-ATH - you would never think of collecting your bags at FRA on a thru-ticket, would you?

Of course, if travelling on two separate tickets that might be different, depending on how the EWR agent tags your bags. My experience of such things is that they will typically will onward-tag it for you in America.

Now if an airport doesn't have a customs facility (leading to the American peculiarity of humping bags form one belt to another) then you would need to collect your bag, clear it and re-deposit it.

I'm not disagreeing with the ATH procedure (because I simply don't know), but it's not a foregone conclusion and certainly not obvious, unless you have been told.
Actually, to be honest, I never knew that in Europe it is like that. I go through immigration in FRA when I connect through there. I've never checked a bag on the BOS-LGW hop that I do every so often, but if I did, I would be expecting to pick it up in FRA.

In India, the same policy as the US is used. Same in China.

Also, this policy brings the question: what do you do if you are arriving in a non-international airport?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
same as japan, but in europe/uk you do not clear at port of entry. and since europe is so small i dont think there are many airports with 0 customs facility, since back then you need to clear customs for any european flights (just not pure domestic).
I have yet to go to an airport with no clearing facility...

ok...
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...s/index_en.htm
this should answer the questions. they could in theory make you clear customs if you need to through tag to an airport without facilities.

Last edited by kaka; Nov 30, 2011 at 2:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.