SAS leaving Star Alliance

Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, SAS Eurobonus Silver
That's very soon! Are there still any regulatory/competition hurdles, or is this a done deal?
Unless I missed it, I couldn't find anything in that article to do with earning Star Alliance points on other airlines, after September 1st.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:41 am

I understand it the same way. As of September 1st, basically everything that has to do with star alliance is over with SAS!
To make matters worse, this will also apply to bookings already made, not only prior to September 1st, but even before this very announcement (regarding flights from September 1st onwards).
tony2022 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:22 am

Indeed. Redemptions, if you've made any on SAS will be honoured as ticketed but earning and burning stops on 31st August and on 1st September, earning and burning on SkyTeam is the norm, it almost reads like a like for like swap. Given my experience of SAS IT, I can't imagine it being smooth. At present, if you want to make a booking for after 1st September, there's no possibility of entering Flying Blue details, you can still enter *A carriers but there won't be miles or benefits.

I think I can see several months of chaos coming on! A change of alliance like this hasn't happened before unless it has been a takeover or the like.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:05 am

Change in codeshare agreement with Lufthansa Group (LH, LX and OS)

The codeshare agreement with Lufthansa Group will be terminated as of 11 April 2024. This will affect SAS codeshare reservations on LH, LX and OS with travel date on and after 1 September 2024.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
It was a matter of time. Sad thought. I always liked SAS. Also I have found skyteam flying blue a terrible FFP. Impossible to earn much if you dont pay and the dynamic pricing gives you Paris to London for 50k miles plus X amount of euros. Pathetic but many airlines are going that way.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
On a separate matter from discussed, do you think M+B status match from SK is likely? (and if, then when, as I have some longhaul J planned soon)
I have lapsed from Gold, unfortunately, but even maching to A3*S would start me well on the way to A3*G. I'm pretty sure I could maintain A3*G but was vary about reaching it in the first place. Any form of kickstart would be good.
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 11:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Change in codeshare agreement with Lufthansa Group (LH, LX and OS)

The codeshare agreement with Lufthansa Group will be terminated as of 11 April 2024. This will affect SAS codeshare reservations on LH, LX and OS with travel date on and after 1 September 2024.
And interestingly... a new codeshare agreement with Aegean has started as of April 1st. As per AeroRoutes: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240417-ska3codeshare

Aegean Airlines operated by SAS
Athens Copenhagen
Athens Gothenburg
Athens Stockholm Arlanda

SAS operated by Aegean Airlines
Athens Copenhagen
Athens Oslo
Athens Stockholm Arlanda
DELLAS and irishguy28 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
And interestingly... a new codeshare agreement with Aegean has started as of April 1st. As per AeroRoutes: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240417-ska3codeshare
But I wouldn't hope for much. A3 hast quite a lot of Codeshare Flights with EW and some with EK but there is no sign of including M&B into that cooperation.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by tony2022
That's very soon! Are there still any regulatory/competition hurdles, or is this a done deal?
AF/KL ist aquiring only 19.9% so I would assume regulatory hurdles (if any) will be much lower than the current takeover Projects of IAG and LHGroup.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by vectrox
AF/KL ist aquiring only 19.9% so I would assume regulatory hurdles (if any) will be much lower than the current takeover Projects of IAG and LHGroup.
The deal as agreed between the investors in the consortium allows Air France-KLM to take a controlling stake after a minimum of two years.

From the initial Air France-KLM press release announcing the transaction:

https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/news...al-cooperation

Talks are well underway regarding AFKL increasing its stake.

From a recent ch-aviation post:

Originally Posted by CH-Aviation
He went on to say that the company doesn’t expect any significant competition policy issues but that once the group does get a majority stake in SAS, some slots at Amsterdam Schiphol will have to be surrendered due to dominance on Scandinavia-bound routes. ch-aviation capacities data shows that KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (KL, Amsterdam Schiphol) and SAS make up over 90% of the total seating capacity from Amsterdam Schiphol to airports in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 18, 2024 at 1:54 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:21 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
On a separate matter from discussed, do you think M+B status match from SK is likely? (and if, then when, as I have some longhaul J planned soon)
I have lapsed from Gold, unfortunately, but even maching to A3*S would start me well on the way to A3*G. I'm pretty sure I could maintain A3*G but was vary about reaching it in the first place. Any form of kickstart would be good.
I'm in the same position. Currently SK*S and planning a trip that earns 25k points with Aegean in January. If they do a status match, all I'll need will be four sectors on A3.
romans likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by the810
I'm in the same position. Currently SK*S and planning a trip that earns 25k points with Aegean in January. If they do a status match, all I'll need will be four sectors on A3.
If A3 matched your SK*S to Aegean Silver, you would still also need to reach 24,000 Tier Miles within a year (along with those 4 A3/OA Sectors) to go up to Gold
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If A3 matched your SK*S to Aegean Silver, you would still also need to reach 24,000 Tier Miles within a year (along with those 4 A3/OA Sectors) to go up to Gold
Similar to the810 I already have a trip planned that I could credit to A3, unfortunately it happens quite soon so I need to figure out where to credit. Or not to credit and do a retrocredit once things are clearer.

The trip will net me over 12k alone, supposing that I would take two well-timed trips to Athens, or maybe even one trip elsewhere in Greece, that will give me the 4 segments needed and the rest of the miles to Gold. Or at worst some opportunistic credit here and there will take care of the rest.

But, I need to be at least Silver, else the trip will just get me to A3*S and then I'll have to get the 24k all over again (which, with LH group earnings in A3, is not normally easy for me)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:00 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Of course, that's why I mentioned that January trip which will earn 25 000
Old May 5, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
SAS to Leave Star Alliance for SkyTeam in 2024

Was surprised by this news, was abou to book an SAS ticket to start fulfilling yearly 12,000-mile duty. Hope it's not old news to most of you.

https://businesstravelerusa.com/news...e-for-skyteam/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.