Cancellation fee increase to 23 EUR

Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Cancellation fee increase to 23 EUR

Just a heads up, not sure if it has been mentioned here but the cancellation fee has gone up from 20 EUR to 23 EUR. I found out today while cancelling an award booking.

https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/bookin...cancellations/
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks for letting us know.

As a side question - how was the waiting time to get through CS today? I'm booked for a flight tomorrow morning and it is unclear if I will be able to fly or not, potentially having to cancel last minute. Are the phones reachable again after yesterdays strike?
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks for letting us know.

As a side question - how was the waiting time to get through CS today? I'm booked for a flight tomorrow morning and it is unclear if I will be able to fly or not, potentially having to cancel last minute. Are the phones reachable again after yesterdays strike?
I knew there was a problem with call centre waiting times (thanks to posts here on Flyertalk), so I sent a tweet instead. It took them just over an hour to reply, and after my second tweet it took them less than 10 minutes to reply.

Probably not useful in your situation though, if you need to cancel 'last minute'.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks! Just called to cancel my flight. Less than a minute hold time on the Gold line. Seems they have everything under control again

And to confirm the topic of this discussion; I was quoted 23 euro fee to make the refund/change. A 'modest' 15% increase on the fees.
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The extra 3 EUR to cancel is not a big deal, unwelcome as it is by me. But instead of seeing a fee hike, I would have preferred if A3 were to enable an online cancellation ability so I don’t need to ever call them up 2 hours before departure in order to be far more certain of being able to cancel on time. I would be more willing to pay an extra 3 EUR to avoid having to get on the phone and remain on the phone to cancel the bookings, but this is just charging more without giving me more for it.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:37 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I'm surprised Aegean thinks it's legal to increase the fee on cancellations to existing bookings where there was no disclosure. This would land them into trouble in many countries.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by GVA
I'm surprised Aegean thinks it's legal to increase the fee on cancellations to existing bookings where there was no disclosure. This would land them into trouble in many countries.
They probably just know that nobody will take them to court over 3 EUR, and if someone comes close enough, they can just offer to refund the 3 EUR as a 'one-time courtesy'.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by GVA
Haha, you should have seen how that went a couple of years ago, when I had several bookings made in the category that didn't include luggage with the intention of later adding a piece or two, but Aegean increased the price for additional luggage between my booking date and the flight's date by a considerable amount (from 20€ to 25€ and from 27€ to 33€ respectively I think). At the time I booked the tickets of course they would advertise the cheaper prices everywhere, including under the options for my ticket (sometimes along the lines of "Flex: Extra luggage: 20€") so this to me was a clear violation of existing terms and conditions agreed upon when booking. I did complain, but to no avail.

I still find it totally insane though, that they changed the tier retention rules (for those not flying Aegean/Olympic) on such short notice though, much worse than all aforementioned price increases ​​​​​​.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:55 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
They probably just know that nobody will take them to court over 3 EUR, and if someone comes close enough, they can just offer to refund the 3 EUR as a 'one-time courtesy'.
Whilst nobody will take them to court, a chargeback is probably more likely. I'd also expect the risk of fines for non /improper disclosure of fees would be a serious deterrent. There's a reason most airlines don't retroactively apply fee changes.

Originally Posted by giorginho
I still find it totally insane though, that they changed the tier retention rules (for those not flying Aegean/Olympic) on such short notice though, much worse than all aforementioned price increases ​​​​​​.
Aegean has been doing this for years now. It's bad customer service and doesn't really build a positive relationship. I think Aegean could at least give 15 days advance notice on any change they implement to M+B. Of course other larger airlines do the same sleazy tricks (BA).
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just to understand, we pay €23 and get all miles, taxes and fuel surcharges back? This also applies to Star Alliance awards (not on Aegean/Olympic Air)?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Just to understand, we pay €23 and get all miles, taxes and fuel surcharges back? This also applies to Star Alliance awards (not on Aegean/Olympic Air)?
Yes
ChocolateFactory and Squerez like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.