Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
We would like to inform you that as of 01.06.23, the rules policy related to tier retention and upgrade will be updated as follows:

Upgrade to Silver tier
To reach the Silver tier, all you need to do is fly with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air at least twice and earn 12,000 tier miles within 12 months,
or
collect a total of 35,000 tier miles regardless the airline you choose to fly with.

Silver tier retention
To retain your Silver tier, you have a fixed 12-month period from the date of your tier upgrade or renewal, to collect 8,000 tier miles including 2 flights with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air,
or
collect a total of 35,000 tier miles, regardless the airline you choose to fly with.

Upgrade to Gold tier
To upgrade from Silver to Gold tier, all you need to do is fly with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 tier miles within 12 months,
or
collect a total of 70,000 tier miles, regardless the airline you choose to fly with.

Gold tier retention
To retain your Gold tier, you have a fixed 12-month period from the date of your tier upgrade or renewal, to collect 12,000 tier miles including 4 flights with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air,
or
collect a total of 70,000 tier miles, regardless the airline you choose to fly with.
Print Wikipost

Change on Tier retain & upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:44 pm

I would even welcome an increase of the 4 required flights per year on A3/OA.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
I get the changes, and ok, I can either continue and have my 4 A3 flights and a low requalification or I can look elsewhere. I won't be flying 70k to reach Gold so I could look elsewhere. I was EU based but am now SE Asia based. A stop in Greece, 4 flights and a return to SIN/KUL/BKK would give enough miles to requalify.

However, I don't understand the current position - I need 4400 miles to requalify, and my expiry date is November 23. Do I need the 4400 miles by 31st May to requalify for Gold? or does it run until November and I join the new requirements from them, thus Nov - June?

It doesn't appear that clear to me.

Longer term as a SE Asian resident (work related) then I would have to look at this differently.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:08 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You will need the 4,400 by 31st May - and that highlights what's the worst thing about this announcement, that A3 has changed the rules without any notice mid-year. You might have planned a flight on 1st June to take you to 24k, and now you suddenly need another 46k or to plan time in Greece when you're in completely the wrong part of the world to make that straightforward.

It shouldn't have been beyond them to give notice that these would be the thresholds in each member's next earning year. This is a customer fail.
sokolov, Squerez, Xandrios and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You will need the 4,400 by 31st May - and that highlights what's the worst thing about this announcement, that A3 has changed the rules without any notice mid-year. You might have planned a flight on 1st June to take you to 24k, and now you suddenly need another 46k or to plan time in Greece when you're in completely the wrong part of the world to make that straightforward.

It shouldn't have been beyond them to give notice that these would be the thresholds in each member's next earning year. This is a customer fail.
When you're right, you're right. I remember last time there was a major change to the program - when they instituted the requirement for 4 flights on A3/OA or miles flown regardless of carrier on an annual basis as opposed to just having a flying activity before your card expires, there wasn't much notice either. But still, for the flights they require on their metal - they provide coupons for upgrade, so if you're lucky, all of them could be in Business and the rest of the travel can be on any other *A carrier which suits your needs. My point was that even as Silver, you are given upgrade and lounge coupons, which I find quite generous.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: SQ *G / A3 *G
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You might have planned a flight on 1st June to take you to 24k, and now you suddenly need another 46k or to plan time in Greece when you're in completely the wrong part of the world to make that straightforward.

Agree on both counts here: I have flights planned from Singapore, and secondly it is a customer fail.
I feel it would have been better to say that it was changing from 31st May and would come into effect at your next membership date.

I will still be able to do the 12k and 4 flights it is just a PITA from Singapore. SQ doesn't fly to ATH only Scoot so even that routing is out.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDobber
Agree on both counts here: I have flights planned from Singapore, and secondly it is a customer fail.
I feel it would have been better to say that it was changing from 31st May and would come into effect at your next membership date.

I will still be able to do the 12k and 4 flights it is just a PITA from Singapore. SQ doesn't fly to ATH only Scoot so even that routing is out.
Nothing much has changed after Scoot was given the flight(s) to ATH by SQ: shortly before that happened, my son bought an one way A3 code-share ticket from SIN to ATH in coach. Not cheap, but he was aiming at the miles. After he arrived here he found out that the fare class his A3 booking mapped to was earning zero miles on M&B!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by frenchft
It’s a good move but 12k is not enough. Should be 24k + 4 A3 flights. Time to clean the ATH lounge zoo.
Guess I qualify for "zoo material" as I have only 11.750 + 5 flights (considering paying €37.50 or booking another A3 flight)...
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by frenchft
It’s a good move but 12k is not enough. Should be 24k + 4 A3 flights. Time to clean the ATH lounge zoo.
Whoa.. my wife will get suspicious if I have to fly to Greece 4x a year
testman and romans like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by KLouis
Nothing much has changed after Scoot was given the flight(s) to ATH by SQ: shortly before that happened, my son bought an one way A3 code-share ticket from SIN to ATH in coach. Not cheap, but he was aiming at the miles. After he arrived here he found out that the fare class his A3 booking mapped to was earning zero miles on M&B!
That’s really common on any *A partner flight. I always checking the fare class against the A3 website before booking.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:41 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
That’s really common on any *A partner flight. I always checking the fare class against the A3 website before booking.
That's the point. It may be booked in a fare class that is earning with A3, however because it is a codeshare there is no reasonable way te determine what the fare class is at the operating airline. Meaning that you cannot check if your ticket would be earning or not.
irishguy28 and AlwaysFlyStar like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So in less than 10 years, A3*G retention qualifications have gone from having no flight requirement beyond making sure the account is active at least once every 36 months to now potentially needing up to 70k tier miles credited.

Why do I guess that the next shoe to drop for A3*G requalification will be the hiking of the 12k tier miles w/4 A3 segments requirement for re-qualification.

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Whoa.. my wife will get suspicious if I have to fly to Greece 4x a year
One trip with 4 segments — say AMS-ATH-SKG-ATH-SKG — can work. Or make a family trip out of it, especially if A3 has some kind of promo having children fly for just taxes.
OttoMH and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So in less than 10 years, A3*G retention qualifications have gone from having no flight requirement beyond making sure the account is active at least once every 36 months to now potentially needing up to 70k tier miles credited.

Why do I guess that the next shoe to drop for A3*G requalification will be the hiking of the 12k tier miles w/4 A3 segments requirement for re-qualification.

One trip with 4 segments — say AMS-ATH-SKG-ATH-SKG — can work. Or make a family trip out of it, especially if A3 has some kind of promo having children fly for just taxes.
SKG-ATH-SKG would be even more suspicious
GUWonder and Squerez like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
lol, "why?"... because taking one look at the retention criteria as of June 1st, one finds it hard to believe that Aegean's only two methods (regarding total tier miles required) are now separated by nearly a factor of 6! That's simply huge! Anyway, since I'm not really a "frequent flyer" if that threshold moves up from 12k, I'm out (I'm already going a bit out of my way to reach that).

However, contrary to what murilix suggested (though clearly a pinch of irony was included), I really don't see how someone who's flying the bare minimum, taking 2-3 round trips with Aegean (meaning 2 or 3 lounge visits per year, probably less in average, if you only consider ATH and take into account the occasional delays due to traffic or slow check-in or security checks!!) is "zoo material". I would even argue it's the exact opposite, it's those who take 100 flights per year that actually contribute the most to making it a zoo (though I'd generally refrain from calling the lounge a "zoo" and also from trying to put the "blame" for that on any single customer or customer group of the airline, but since I see a very high sense of entitlement lately around here, perhaps it's time for some to take a look in the mirror... and if one is really flying that much, perhaps consider a switch to a FFP that offers more ...exclusivity?).
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by giorginho
However, contrary to what murilix suggested (though clearly a pinch of irony was included), I really don't see how someone who's flying the bare minimum, taking 2-3 round trips with Aegean (meaning 2 or 3 lounge visits per year, probably less in average, if you only consider ATH and take into account the occasional delays due to traffic or slow check-in or security checks!!) is "zoo material". I would even argue it's the exact opposite, it's those who take 100 flights per year that actually contribute the most to making it a zoo (though I'd generally refrain from calling the lounge a "zoo" and also from trying to put the "blame" for that on any single customer or customer group of the airline, but since I see a very high sense of entitlement lately around here, perhaps it's time for some to take a look in the mirror... and if one is really flying that much, perhaps consider a switch to a FFP that offers more ...exclusivity?).
Hear, hear!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
That's the point. It may be booked in a fare class that is earning with A3, however because it is a codeshare there is no reasonable way te determine what the fare class is at the operating airline. Meaning that you cannot check if your ticket would be earning or not.
I’ve never had a problem doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.