Need to cancel Aegean flight

Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Need to cancel Aegean flight

We have a one-way IST-VCE (w/ layover) in July. I have to cancel these flights. I don't want a new flt from them They are econ flights, not fancy. I see you have to call to cancel flights. Are they going to charge me for canceling a flight? I don't expect any compensation.
Wouldn't it be worse for them (or me?) if I just didn't show up? Any advice? I can't find info anywhere.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by bvmcginnis
We have a one-way IST-VCE (w/ layover) in July. I have to cancel these flights. I don't want a new flt from them They are econ flights, not fancy. I see you have to call to cancel flights. Are they going to charge me for canceling a flight? I don't expect any compensation.
Wouldn't it be worse for them (or me?) if I just didn't show up? Any advice? I can't find info anywhere.
You're probably best just not showing up and you would not be charged extra either for no-show or for cancelling. You won't get anything back for cancelling any economy ticket anyway and I suppose there is a slight chance that, between now and then, Aegean might cancel or change your flight. Even if they make a small change to your flight times (just 5 minutes on either leg) they will offer you the choice of a full refund! They don't HAVE to do that but it's what they have been doing recently. So... what I would do is wait until nearer the time (less than two weeks to departure). If the ticket is in Flex or ComfortFlex you could then find a cheap date in the future and re-book for free. Then you might eventually get a refund if they make a schedule change later. I wouldn't just give up and let them keep my money. I guess it depends if you can be bothered.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jun 19, 2022 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
You're probably best just not showing up and you would not be charged extra either for no-show or for cancelling. You won't get anything back for cancelling any economy ticket anyway and I suppose there is a slight chance that, between now and then, Aegean might cancel or change your flight. Even if they make a small change to your flight times (just 5 minutes on either leg) they will offer you the choice of a full refund! They don't HAVE to do that but it's what they have been doing recently. So... what I would do is wait until nearer the time (less than two weeks to departure). If the ticket is in Flex or ComfortFlex you could then find a cheap date in the future and re-book for free. Then you might eventually get a refund if they make a schedule change later. I wouldn't just give up and let them keep my money. I guess it depends if you can be bothered.
Thank you for that. I will not need them in the next (at least 2 years). I have flex U economy. No idea what that is. I was going to wait to see if by chance they chgd/canceled the flight (July 1). I have been watching and that hasn't been happening on any flights, same flight over the past weeks. But you think it's best just not to contact them at all and just not show up? I don't want penalties showing up on my cc.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
If you have a Flex ticket you can get a refund when you ask for it to be cancelled. It depends on the value of the original ticket, the costs to refund may be 60-80 euro. If your ticket costs was higher than that, you'll get that money back.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you have a Flex ticket you can get a refund when you ask for it to be cancelled. It depends on the value of the original ticket, the costs to refund may be 60-80 euro. If your ticket costs was higher than that, you'll get that money back.
Interesting, thank you.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:54 am
Original Poster

When you say I would be charged for canceling, does that mean I would be reimbursed for the cost of the ticket minus the cancellation charge? And only if I call ahead of time? I'm getting mixed messages or just confused.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Yes, they will refund whatever value is left over after having subtracted the fees. The fees depend on your original booking, route and other details. Best to call in and ask them.
bvmcginnis likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Yes, they will refund whatever value is left over after having subtracted the fees. The fees depend on your original booking, route and other details. Best to call in and ask them.
yup, thank you, followed that advice and it worked out like you said, pretty much a wash. Rep said would be the same if I simply did not show up. I find that surprising.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.