Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Athens: Several denied boarding, no protest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Athens: Several denied boarding, no protest

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
FWIW, I have never had a passport/ID check reception party at CPH when coming from Greece. At least pre-pandemic. Can’t say the same thing for arrivals in Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden.

The Greek police probably find it easier to just go through the motions in the lounge so they can go hang out at the gates for the regular boarding where there are more people to check.

I’m strongly opposed to racist profiling, and I don’t like that they do it. This airport thing is part of the dog and pony show to try to inform other countries that Greece takes Schengen seriously and does contribute to protecting the external borders of Schengen despite the challenges the country faces.
You sure about that? I think they are hanging out at the lounge for the free A3 spanakopita!
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
You sure about that? I think they are hanging out at the lounge for the free A3 spanakopita!
Good point.

The FTer indicated the Greek ones had German ones with them in the A3 lounge. Maybe the flirts at the front desk like the visits from spinach-eating Popeye & Co, but the Greek police and their German colleagues probably know better than to systematically raid the spinach pie and hang out there. It may comes across as lacking professional propriety to hang out like that in places where it’s not free coffee and donuts that keep the uniformed ones coming back again and again.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Think that's bad? My cousin flew into GOT on a Malaysian passport (also visa-free). Immigration literally had to flip through an atlas to make sure that wasn't a made-up country
As someone whose paternal family are largely Malaysian passport holders, I'm not in the least surprised I bet some of them probably think Singapore is some special Chinese province, too!

As an aside though I think some of my worst immigration experiences are in the Nordics — they make it like everyone's almost suspect and entering their country for some unsavoury reason, and ask the most inane questions. Oslo seems to have a knack for getting through passport control bloody painful since they grill everyone. And an immigration officer at CPH (when exiting Schengen) asked me why the Prague officers made the dubious decision of stamping the last page of my passport - I don't know, mate, don't ask me, and I'm not judging your probably-dubious decision for having a full tatted sleeve done for Liverpool FC! ​​​​
GUWonder, bostontraveler and eugnk like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
As someone whose paternal family are largely Malaysian passport holders, I'm not in the least surprised I bet some of them probably think Singapore is some special Chinese province, too!

As an aside though I think some of my worst immigration experiences are in the Nordics — they make it like everyone's almost suspect and entering their country for some unsavoury reason, and ask the most inane questions. Oslo seems to have a knack for getting through passport control bloody painful since they grill everyone. And an immigration officer at CPH (when exiting Schengen) asked me why the Prague officers made the dubious decision of stamping the last page of my passport - I don't know, mate, don't ask me, and I'm not judging your probably-dubious decision for having a full tatted sleeve done for Liverpool FC! ​​​​
That's interesting. I find my worst experiences are in the Five Eye countries (US/CAN/UK/AUS/NZ) + EI... an incredible amount of aggressive paranoid questioning.

That said I never had a problem in the Nordics probably because I have an EU passport.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:38 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
As someone whose paternal family are largely Malaysian passport holders, I'm not in the least surprised I bet some of them probably think Singapore is some special Chinese province, too!​​​​
When the Prince of Liechtenstein came to Hong Kong for some army thing there was an interview in the SCMP where he said the immigration officers thought Liechtenstein was a fake country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.