Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean name change fee - normal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Lesson learned folks, ask a second set of eyes to double check details, like DOB, PP # and esp Name before making that payment. Unfortunately airlines are bleeding money and I don't blame them. But here was another option if you wanted to save your 20 Euros:

As per Aegean Airlines 24-hour Cancellation policy, passengers can cancel a flight booked on Aegean Airlines within 24 hours of the purchase. Aegean Airlines will provide a complete refund of your ticket cost in case the booking was made a week or more prior to the departure date of your Aegean Airlines flight.
Unreal. I asked her that. I asked her if I was allowed to cancel my flight since it was booked moments ago. She said your (my) flight is non-refundable. I just believed her instead of double checking the website T&C's. Grrrr.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Did a little digging and KLM allows name changes in the first 24 hours for free.
That's not correct. KLM allows you to cancel a ticket within 24 hours of booking, but it doesn't allow you to change a name.

KLM does not allow name changes; most tickets are non-transferable and I know of no airline anywhere that allows you to change the name (except on group tickets, where names don't have to be entered at the time of purchase).

If this were the case, the ability to buy up seats at the cheapest fares would be taken up by many, who would then later sell them at a profit to people who actually want to travel, with the person merely applying to KLM to change the name while pocketing their own healthy "profit" - the equivalent of ticket scalping.

KLM allows free changes of typographical errors in the name; and this can be done anytime up to 30 hours before departure - it's not limited to the first 24 hours; but fixing a typo is *NOT* the same thing as changing the name.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's not correct. KLM allows you to cancel a ticket within 24 hours of booking, but it doesn't allow you to change a name.

KLM does not allow name changes; most tickets are non-transferable and I know of no airline anywhere that allows you to change the name (except on group tickets, where names don't have to be entered at the time of purchase).

If this were the case, the ability to buy up seats at the cheapest fares would be taken up by many, who would then later sell them at a profit to people who actually want to travel, with the person merely applying to KLM to change the name while pocketing their own healthy "profit" - the equivalent of ticket scalping.

KLM allows free changes of typographical errors in the name; and this can be done anytime up to 30 hours before departure - it's not limited to the first 24 hours; but fixing a typo is *NOT* the same thing as changing the name.
Right, and if you read my Original Post you'd see what I needed to do was add one character to a name.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KML allows name changes for free (at least according to this KLM Korean site):

https://www.klm.co.kr/en/information...ting-typo-name
"Noticed a typo in your name? If you booked your trip via KLM and are flying with KLM, Air France, or Delta Air Lines, you can request a name correction free of charge by contacting us up to 30 hours before departure."
Like I said, fixing a typo (June->Jane) is not the same as changing a name (Joe Bloggs -> Jane Doe)
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Like I said, fixing a typo (June->Jane) is not the same as changing a name (Joe Bloggs -> Jane Doe)
yes, yes, we get it. Aegean doesn't even allow typos to be changed without a fee. That is the point of this thread. KLM does. Aegean sucks. KLM doesn't
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Unreal. I asked her that. I asked her if I was allowed to cancel my flight since it was booked moments ago. She said your (my) flight is non-refundable. I just believed her instead of double checking the website T&C's. Grrrr.

Write to Customer Service via Twitter and let them know what happened
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Lesson learned folks, ask a second set of eyes to double check details, like DOB, PP # and esp Name before making that payment. Unfortunately airlines are bleeding money and I don't blame them. But here was another option if you wanted to save your 20 Euros:

As per Aegean Airlines 24-hour Cancellation policy, passengers can cancel a flight booked on Aegean Airlines within 24 hours of the purchase. Aegean Airlines will provide a complete refund of your ticket cost in case the booking was made a week or more prior to the departure date of your Aegean Airlines flight.
Have you got this from the Aegean website? I google this exact phrasing and the only website that came up with it was a random airlinesmap. I would not take this seriously unless it's coming from an official channel.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: LH HON, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
Have you got this from the Aegean website? I google this exact phrasing and the only website that came up with it was a random airlinesmap. I would not take this seriously unless it's coming from an official channel.
I tried to cancel a Business booking within 24 hours without a fee, but as per the call centre there is no such policy. They would have applied the €20/booking.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by baggage tag
I tried to cancel a Business booking within 24 hours without a fee, but as per the call centre there is no such policy. They would have applied the €20/booking.
See my post #15 here...
irishguy28 and giorginho like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:24 am

i have booked a ticket for a friend using miles through Aegean bonus and Miles with Turkish and Singapore
I made an error using G instead of J. I call them and told me to talk to Turkish airlines.
No one could do such a correction. They suggested me to cancel and rebook. From 133 euros on taxes i will receive back only 50. Or my friend has to take the risk and travel with the present ticket
Old May 11, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by MixalisK.
i have booked a ticket for a friend using miles through Aegean bonus and Miles with Turkish and Singapore
I made an error using G instead of J. I call them and told me to talk to Turkish airlines.
No one could do such a correction. They suggested me to cancel and rebook. From 133 euros on taxes i will receive back only 50. Or my friend has to take the risk and travel with the present ticket
Normally, up to 2 spelling errors are fine...
MixalisK. likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I would call back. If Aegean issued the ticket then they are the only ones that can make the name change.

Also... are mileage redemptions not fully refundable? I was under the impression that any mileage redemption (Excluding perhaps GoLight redemption on Aegean flights) could be fully refunded (Miles + all tax) for just the 20 euro callcenter fee?
irishguy28 and MixalisK. like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by MixalisK.
i have booked a ticket for a friend using miles through Aegean bonus and Miles...
From 133 euros on taxes i will receive back only 50...
If by "a ticket" you mean 1 ticket (one reservation anyway for the whole trip), then you're getting back everything minus 20 Euros (so 113 Euros back). However, while it is highly likely, there's no guarantee that award space (in case there isn't already any available) will open up again after you cancel (most likely scenario is, that it will take a few minutes or even a couple of hours for award availability to appear again, but in very rare cases it may not open up at all). I'd still try to sort it out with the airline(s) first...
Old May 11, 2022, 3:56 pm

I know of no airline anywhere that allows you to change the name (except on group tickets
Air North does (4N, the airline in Canada, not the one in Australia). There is a flat fee of CAD 25 or CAD 80 plus tax (depending on what flavour of ticket you bought in the first place), but no fare difference charged. Air North is hands down the most customer friendly airline in Canada.

So, yes, theoretically, you could go in an buy loads of tickets at low prices, then try to resell them later when the ticket price has gone up by $100. But they would notice quickly and shut you down. However, if you have a ticket or two you can't use, and you find a buddy who's happy to take them, Air North has won two happy customers. It works for them. They've been in business for 45 years without going bankcrupt.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
They've been in business for 45 years without going bankrupt.
Given the high prices charged in the Canadian domestic market, I'm not surprised!

On my first trip to Canada, I was shocked to discover that a side trip to Vancouver was going to cost me more than I had paid for my return flight from Europe to Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.