Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AEGEAN Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
I wanted to report some limitations on the pass usage with 0-day booking window. The limitations probably come from the way Aegean handles all flexible tickets, but these were not clear to me when purchasing the pass. I am also yet to find the limitations spelled out anywhere.

I was trying to perform a same-day domestic flight change. Any departure within 1 hour from current time seemed to be selectable/bookable through the flight modification process. However, when proceeding with a change to a flight departing in 2 hours, I have received an error of "You have to make your reservation at least 3 hours prior to your departure time". It took me some time to reach the call centre, and they agreed to make the change but requested 20 Euro handling fee. Feeling piqued by the unexpected charge, I declined.

To my surprise, a bit later I did succeed to change the flight at Thessaloniki airport at the Aegean ticket sales counter; for free. Even though it was only 57 minutes before the departure time.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks for reporting. That's an odd limitation that I have not seen before either. And obviously ticket changes are possible (through the CS), but just not through the app.

Looking at the fare rules here, it says the following:

**Changes can be made either online or via the call center. Ticket changes via the call center are charged with 20 EUR service fee. In case online ticket change is not technically supported as an option, service fee is not charged for ticket change via the call center.
I'd say you would probably have a fairly high chance to have that 20 euro fee waved due to the app not allowing to make the change.
eugnk likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:17 am

Well, unfortunately my explicit request to waive the fee due to to inability to change via the app was denied. I was not armed with the exact fare rules quote though.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:08 pm

I haven't tried this as of late, but I remember once messing around with the booking system a couple of years ago and I too got the "3 hour" issue when attempting to book a flight within that time window. So I'd say this has little to do with the pass and more to do with how the system handles such bookings. The "free same day change to an earlier flight" via comfort flex and business class tickets seems to be actually not impacted by this rule though.
Of course where the booking system can't help you, customer service usually can (and the airport agents even more, those at the hubs probably more than others), but of course the fee should be waived (or the "0 day" pass should be renamed to "3-hour pass" ​​​​​​).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:38 pm

Interesting reports in this thread though I still wish they would offer the pass on more routes. I'd happily take it if BER was an option.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:56 pm

Multi routes "Athens - Greek destinations" pass has more destinations now: Samos, Ioannina, Kefalonia, Lemnos, Chios, Kos.
My half used pass, which I bought a month ago before the change, also received the update.
Xandrios, KATERGOO, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Much better deal now with some new interesting islands...
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Thanks for the heads up. It also looks as the addition of new routes did not raise the price the Aegean Pass is offered.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eugnk
Multi routes "Athens - Greek destinations" pass has more destinations now: Samos, Ioannina, Kefalonia, Lemnos, Chios, Kos.
My half used pass, which I bought a month ago before the change, also received the update.
They should have done that from the beginning of summer, I would have probably bought one…I guess next year…

There is also now a domestic pass from SKG, I don’t remember if that was being offered from the start. Unfortunately it does not include KLX, I know some students and their parents would love one on that route…
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Aug 13, 2022 at 2:53 am
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Indeed, SKG-KLX would be interesting. However...that is a PSO route, and I don't believe any PSO route is currently available through a Pass. Most likely they will keep excluding these due to the financial compensation that they already receive from the government/EU.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:35 am

Can you buy a pack of business class tickets?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think so.

Last edited by nk15; Aug 13, 2022 at 2:29 pm
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
Can you buy a pack of business class tickets?
Haha, never bothered thinking about that, since it's not offered anyway, but now that you mentioned it, if the economy pass is equal to a U fare, then the business pass would have to be a Z fare or somewhere between A and Z, which would make it both attractive and probably successful! I'm always on the lookout now for A or Z fares with a discount code, but it's a tough game to play 😜.

A little data point (or intermediate conclusion if you wish) as my mother made it to silver with the reduced thresholds, 3 flights with the Athens-Düsseldorf pass, and a couple of flex or even light flights on the same route. Now unfortunately the reduced threshold for retaining status doesn't apply (since the status year expires post May 2023), but she is of course still offered the reduced threshold for reaching gold until May (sadly, contrary to what retaining silver with the 25% less miles would have been, not doable with the remaining 3 flights of her pass).
I was also able to voucher-upgrade 2 out of her 3 "pass flights" so far (one immediately thanks to I class being available and one after getting wait-listed, at around 23 hours before departure), while one upgrade request failed due to a full cabin.
The flight where I class was available would have actually been cheaper to book without the pass, but I used the pass to both, well, make use of it, since it's already paid for, as well as to get the additional tier miles that come with it (after all it was only a 8€ or 12€ difference, something like that). The other two flights, that the pass was used for, have so far saved us a total of somewhere between 250€ and 300€ (so now every flight left on the pass is pretty much taxes only).
One other little perk (besides the additional vouchers) is that now even more award miles will be flowing into the together account ​​​​​​. Let's see if we can get her to retain silver (I have a feeling this will actually happen about 2-3 days before status is due to expire, since I'm counting on a flight to be taken around those days ​​​​​​) and if Aegean will keep offering the pass for another year (if it's still available by the end of May, I'll probably buy it again).
​​​​​​
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
These are only for direct flights indeed. The 10-pass would be 10 segments indeed. Unclear to me if that means 5 in each direction, or, if you could also do 10 in one direction only.
has somebody actually confirmed that if you buy a “single route” 6-flight pass e.g. ATH-BRU, you can get either 6 ATH-BRU or 6 BRU-ATH or any other combination?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
has somebody actually confirmed that if you buy a “single route” 6-flight pass e.g. ATH-BRU, you can get either 6 ATH-BRU or 6 BRU-ATH or any other combination?
You can use the coupons in both directions, so 2 coupons for a return flight from Brussels to Athen, for exemple.
jerry_greece and giorginho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.