Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard WiFi - roll out and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:08 pm

In which flight? I noticed that too on Madrid. I believe some destinations (maybe where the system knows will get poor ground station reception and will have poor wifi performance) give it for free to anyone on the lowest possible bandwidth..
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:51 am

Was on the SX-DVV 2 days ago and on the A321 with the playground space in front of 1A-C a month ago, neither had Wi-Fi, though both had that Wi-Fi logo sticker on the first overhead bin in front of 1D. I didn't bother asking this time, but I remember that when I asked about the logo a couple of years ago (way before this version of the Wi-Fi roll-out) the flight attendant had told me that they did in fact offer Wi-Fi on very few selected routes (I think she mentioned London as an example). Anyway, the feeling I get is that by now pretty much every Airbus in Aegean's fleet has that Wi-Fi logo sticker but very few offer Wi-Fi.
What I can't understand is what happened to the "entertainment system" which already existed! If you remember, you could log on to the local network and browse newspapers, magazines, games, listed to some music or watch the live map with the aircraft on it (I think I posted some screenshots of that back in the day) etc. Does anyone know if that's gone completely while they're in this roll-out phase? I couldn't access anything on my last 2 flights...
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:23 am

This (Aegean Stream) is still available on the routes/aircraft that don't have WiFi
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The WiFi-signal logo has been on the cabin for years I believe. This is the one only showing the signal bars, right? This previously indicated that the entertainment system is available. Aircraft that offer internet say so on the outside with a new (full) WiFi logo I believe.

Originally Posted by MerNion
In which flight? I noticed that too on Madrid. I believe some destinations (maybe where the system knows will get poor ground station reception and will have poor wifi performance) give it for free to anyone on the lowest possible bandwidth..
This was the flight to Lisbon. Which is very similar to the Madrid one. Its possible, but why would they then offer higher speeds than usual for the text-option? They only limit to 0.6 mbit’s, which is still faster than the normal text-only option when we also have the other two choices.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:58 am

Maybe it is the maximum bandwidth they can offer at times (when over land, because over the Mediterranean I dont think there was any signal). And if you pay for something that will not work, then they would have to deal with complaints, refunds, bad reviews etc…
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MerNion
This (Aegean Stream) is still available on the routes/aircraft that don't have WiFi
Good to know, however I checked (fyi a couple of times during the first hour of those 3h-long flights, I didn't bother checking again after that) and it wasn't availabe on either of my recent flights (both had Athens as either destination or origin, which is where Aegean stream is supposed to be available on and indeed it was in the past, but not now...).
Xandrios Yes, that one .
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:05 am

The newest A21Ns don't seem to be wi-fi equipped which I find very strange give they were delivered after the wi-fi roll out started.

This week I've been on SX-NAH and SX-NAK and on check in was a message saying no wi-fi. To add insult, SX-NAK is equipped with Aegean Stream which didn't work either but SX-NAH isn't.

I've also been on SX-DNB recently where wi-fi worked perfectly and SX-DNE where there was a wi-fi signal but I couldn't log in with either my M&B account or my name and PNR - my PNR apparently wasn't valid and my M&B login wasn't recognised.

This is still very patchy but I can't find any updates on the rollout that are recent.

Has anyone any info on this?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
From what I understand Aegean is installing Wifi themselves, likely during a time when the aircraft is already out of service for maintenance. So when new deliveries from Airbus come in they may not be pre-installed with the wifi equipment. Possibly they have gone with a Wifi partner that does not work with Airbus directly..

I've noticed on some flights where that "No WiFi available" message was shown that they offered Messaging-only. Available to anyone, for free, at a speed of 0.6Mbit. It also works perfectly fine for general internet browsing. I've also noticed that connecting often does not work straight away (Option is greyed out) on an iPhone, but then opening the page on Google Chrome (Rather than Safari) allows you to connect instantly. Not sure if thats a fluke or some kind of incompatibility or bug.
DELLAS and Alexandros Bravos like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Harper50505
The newest A21Ns don't seem to be wi-fi equipped which I find very strange give they were delivered after the wi-fi roll out started.

This week I've been on SX-NAH and SX-NAK and on check in was a message saying no wi-fi. To add insult, SX-NAK is equipped with Aegean Stream which didn't work either but SX-NAH isn't.

I've also been on SX-DNB recently where wi-fi worked perfectly and SX-DNE where there was a wi-fi signal but I couldn't log in with either my M&B account or my name and PNR - my PNR apparently wasn't valid and my M&B login wasn't recognised.

This is still very patchy but I can't find any updates on the rollout that are recent.

Has anyone any info on this?
I recently did LHR-ATH on SX-NAG and I was also told "No Wi-fi" at check-in. Personally I don't care, but I'm guessing there might be people who choose A3 specifically so they can work during the trip. After all, what's the point in them even offering the service if they don't expect it to specifically attract customers. If it's true that the newer a/c don't have it, that's a VERY poor business decision.

Also I flew ATH-DUB a couple of weeks ago on the A320 SX-NEO. The DID have Wi-fi/Stream but the Wi-fi was almost useless. I tried it regularly throughout the flight (bored!) and I only managed to get it to work for about 10 minutes over the Balkans. It was pretty fast though (around 10Mb) and the login issues seem to be solved - I used my booking reference (Gold, in business class upgraded with a voucher) and it immediately offered me the top-tier package (whatever that's called).

It just seems to be a VERY bad quality service all round. Maybe that's why the new aircraft are arriving un-fitted? Maybe they're in the middle of changing equipment/provider? They need to do something - if I'd paid (is it 9 Euro or more) for that service or really needed to work I'd have been quite annoyed!
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:08 am

They install the wifi equipments in Athens by a 3rd company.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:37 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I was in a A321Neo which had Wifi (SX-NAB) while a A320Neo (SX-NEE) only had Aegean Stream. Not sure there is any logic ?
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:34 pm

I recently flew from CDG to HER, a total of 3 hrs and 50 minutes on board from closing of the doors to landing (50 of which on the earth at CDG!). There was no wifi on board and I really enjoyed being able to read the book I had taken along this trip. I must say that after many, many years of sitting behind a screen for more than 14 hours a day I love it when I spend time unconnected...
cad-spe, intuition and romans like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I recently flew from CDG to HER, a total of 3 hrs and 50 minutes on board from closing of the doors to landing (50 of which on the earth at CDG!). There was no wifi on board and I really enjoyed being able to read the book I had taken along this trip. I must say that after many, many years of sitting behind a screen for more than 14 hours a day I love it when I spend time unconnected...
You know the onboard wi-fi isn't compulsory, yes? Seriously, I do like that the new a/c don't have the overhead screens. Always seeing the route map makes it difficult not to 'clock-watch' and the time seems to go quicker without it. Having said that, going back to a manual safety demo by the crews somehow seems backward.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
So, I have a flight today and am curious if the Gold in Business problem has come back or if it is only an issue before the flight. It is offering me the opportunity to pay to upgrade to the streaming Wi-Fi, even though I am flying business. Curious if others have encountered this and if it will be resolved once I am onboard.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:32 am

A few weeks ago on my LHR-ATH-LHR flights the log in was a bit buggy. It was only letting me in with my business class booking ref and not my Gold card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.