Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus

Cancellation & Refund on Paid Upgrades to Business

Old Oct 24, 21, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Hiya folks, long time since I last posted here!

Question on refunds as I have the impression something smells fishy about a recent interaction: I have booked a LHR-ATH-LHR, outbound in ComfortFlex S and inbound in Business A. After a couple of days, I decided to pay the fare difference for the outbound flight and upgrade it to Business Z as well in order to run for Gold before 05/22.

Some personal circumstances have arisen, and Ill be better off cancelling my booking altogether I then called A3s contact center and asked for my ticket to be cancelled and refunded. Alas, the agent told me that the original conditions still apply to my outbound leg and that Id have to pay the 60 cancellation fee of my original ComfortFlex S fare (on top of the 20 phone charge) instead of the full refund minus phone charge of the new Business Z fare. He advised me to wait and see if the flight will be cancelled or modified by them, in which case I might be entitled to a full refund.

I couldnt find this original fare conditions apply rule anywhere on A3s Fare Rules or T&Cs, and the Manage booking/Change flights page clearly states refundable when upgrading an existing Y ticket to Business. Any thoughts? Would it be worth it to raise an incident ticket or get ahold of another agent by phone?

Cheers and many thanks!
Old Oct 25, 21, 12:38 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
The non refundable amount of a ticket remains non refundable after ticket change/upgrade, standard practice, so the agent is correct. However the change fees are those of the new/changed/upgraded ticket.
Since the flight is changeable without a fee online, try to find dates in the future, change it, and either use the ticket or apply for a refund in the future if no flight gets cancelled.
Old Oct 25, 21, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
The non refundable amount of a ticket remains non refundable after ticket change/upgrade, standard practice, so the agent is correct. However the change fees are those of the new/changed/upgraded ticket.
Since the flight is changeable without a fee online, try to find dates in the future, change it, and either use the ticket or apply for a refund in the future if no flight gets cancelled.
Thanks for your answer ranskis! So both fares are refundable, however the original ComfortFlex S has a 60 cancellation fee whereas the upgraded Business Z has none. Ive been told the fees from the original fare applies, thats what I find strange
Old Oct 25, 21, 12:24 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Considering that the upgraded fare total costs the same as if you have bought the business class fare outright, I agree that the Business class fare rules should apply....
Old Oct 25, 21, 3:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
The rules that apply are the rules of the last fare, so business. However any non refundable amount remains non refundable otherwise it would just be too easy to get any ticket fully refunded by upgrading to an higher refundable fare and then claiming a full refund. However the price difference between the non refundable (or partly refundable) fare and the business fare is then fully refundable. If you have a ticket at 50 EUR+tax and a 60 EUR refund fee, it makes it actually non refundable, just the taxes would be refunded. If you upgrade to business by paying 200 EUR extra, and then cancel, you would not lose 60 EUR (refund fee of the previous fare) but 50 EUR which is the amount you would have lost if you had cancelled the original ticket.
nk15, F722 and giorginho like this.

Search this Thread