Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Catering in C : A3 is ruining a stunning product. Sad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.

Did maybe 10+ C class flights with A3 since COVID and what I can say is that I'm not impressed anymore (I used to be and was always super happy and excited to fly with them). It's still a solid intra European C class, no doubt, but compared to what it used to be it's night and day.
Now catering is closed to what Y used to be 5 years ago imho. Better than the white paper bag but not back to what made this C one of the best, if not the best on Intra European routes.

Main concerns :
- No more wine list / amazing wine selection. This was a great touch and something unique (with the introduction to growers and wine area in the magazine and wine menu). The wine they are serving now is garbage, barely drinkable. I have discovered wines I loved and bought at duty free as they were available.Was amazing.
- First dishes : used to be some very nice and elaborated (I remember some octopus and some shrimps salades etc). Now it's a basic and not so tasty greek salade. Cost cutting 100%
- Main Dishes : Looks sad / taste average. Used to be great, now it's just average.
- Dessert : inexistant. Small and nothing compare to what they used to be. (same for cheese, sad little piece of boring cheese).
- Bread : not even a question, the new chewing gum under plastic is garbage. Period.
- Overall presentation : from poor to bad. Looks like old school Y class service and presentation. Tons of plastic for nothing and not very appealing or elegant.
- Maybe it's me but I feel that it's always the same dishes (before I didn't have this feeling) and that everything taste the same.

Good points :
- Mastica is still available and ice too.
- Chocolate are still here (dark and milk).
- Expresso is still available but I used to prefer illy than the new brand.
- The light snacks on short flight is very tasty (the 2 toasts with meat and smoked salmon), very good point.
- FA are still great and they deliver great service as usual.

Overall A3 is ruining what was the best C class product intra European and it's sad that they do not realise it.
Talked with few FA : they are desperate by the new service rules and the quality of what they serve. One even told me : "it's a shame and I feel ashamed but the new service". Time to wake up A3!

What do you think guys?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:17 am

I think service is still not back to pre-covid levels, unless I'm mistaken they used to serve dish-by-dish, now everything is served at once on a single tray, so I don't know how good a "first dish" can be when served that way (certainly a downgrade, but I hope it will get better once they return to 100% normal service). This is probably also why you get the feeling that it's the same dishes (and the lunch-time mains have probably circulated around 3-4 dishes ever since dismissing the white paper bag).
The mains can be a hit or miss, in my experience they're more often a hit than a miss (at least after they ditched the white paper bag, before that and during the first year or two of "gastronomics" it was more a miss than a hit. But when they're a hit they are really good, often better than the mains from 4-5 years ago (with a couple of very shiny exceptions from back then).
I couldn't care less for alcoholic beverages to be honest, I might enjoy a cocktail, but Aegean never served any. Beer/wine = no thanks (unless there's an exceptionally sweet red available after dessert ).
I agree on the bread, it used to be better and also the dessert has taken a turn for the worse since gastronomics. I'm still happy with the cappuccino (I even think their espresso got stronger!).
What I'm not sure about is if there's a drinks service prior to the meal service (not pre-departure obviously). On one of my flights there was one, on the other, more recent one, there wasn't.

Overall I'm about 80% satisfied with in-flight catering regarding to how I felt before gastronomics. I am however far less satisfied with what the lounge at Athens has been offering (or rather not offering) lately.

But hey, at least their trademark for business class is not an... apple (or what would the Greek equivalent to what Lufthansa has changed to be? a single olive? ).

PS. As far as I remember catering in economy 5 years ago was usually pasta (penne) with red sauce and a hint of grated cheese. If you were comparing Aegean's business in-fight catering to Emirates economy, I would agree .
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:58 am

Do you think that the service you get depends on the flight attendant? It's not solid on every flight.
My experience. You get only one bread (3 people, 3 pieces) at breakfast, or she offers also the croissants (another flight).
At the end of the flight she comes around with the chocolates, or you get it with the coffee or in 2 flights they don't offer any.
On a flight she comes and greets me with my surname, introduces herself, on other flights they don't.
I ask for Souroti (sparkling water in a can). I either get the can and refill the 100ml glass myself, but once she kept it, and I asked for a refill once. I was ashamed to ask her again.Minor details of course.
Arrivals likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
I quite agree that business class is not what it used to be. No more welcome drink before take off (but it was quite awful anyway). I also have the feeling that I was served the same food to Athens and then back to Paris.
I think cabin attendants are not as attentive as they used to be. They serve you and look somewhere else. On my inbound flight, I asked for ouzo and the girl seemed at lost with such a request. I then asked for some red wine and got white wine instead LOL
I still love the airline, because I feel like I am in Greece as soon as I board, but it’s not what it used to be a few years ago, for sure.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by giorginho
in-fight catering
Had some bad experiences with cabin crew lately?
giorginho likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I think service is still not back to pre-covid levels, unless I'm mistaken they used to serve dish-by-dish, now everything is served at once on a single tray, so I don't know how good a "first dish" can be when served that way (certainly a downgrade, but I hope it will get better once they return to 100% normal service). This is probably also why you get the feeling that it's the same dishes (and the lunch-time mains have probably circulated around 3-4 dishes ever since dismissing the white paper bag).
The mains can be a hit or miss, in my experience they're more often a hit than a miss (at least after they ditched the white paper bag, before that and during the first year or two of "gastronomics" it was more a miss than a hit. But when they're a hit they are really good, often better than the mains from 4-5 years ago (with a couple of very shiny exceptions from back then).
I couldn't care less for alcoholic beverages to be honest, I might enjoy a cocktail, but Aegean never served any. Beer/wine = no thanks (unless there's an exceptionally sweet red available after dessert ).
I agree on the bread, it used to be better and also the dessert has taken a turn for the worse since gastronomics. I'm still happy with the cappuccino (I even think their espresso got stronger!).
What I'm not sure about is if there's a drinks service prior to the meal service (not pre-departure obviously). On one of my flights there was one, on the other, more recent one, there wasn't.

Overall I'm about 80% satisfied with in-flight catering regarding to how I felt before gastronomics. I am however far less satisfied with what the lounge at Athens has been offering (or rather not offering) lately.

But hey, at least their trademark for business class is not an... apple (or what would the Greek equivalent to what Lufthansa has changed to be? a single olive? ).

PS. As far as I remember catering in economy 5 years ago was usually pasta (penne) with red sauce and a hint of grated cheese. If you were comparing Aegean's business in-fight catering to Emirates economy, I would agree .
You are right, it's not for sure back to pre-covid but the prices are. I don't see any reason not to bring back the pre covid service.
I have also forget to mention : their own magazine is back but newspapers are not available for sanitary reasons. This is pure BS.
sokolov likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chr04
Do you think that the service you get depends on the flight attendant? It's not solid on every flight.
My experience. You get only one bread (3 people, 3 pieces) at breakfast, or she offers also the croissants (another flight).
At the end of the flight she comes around with the chocolates, or you get it with the coffee or in 2 flights they don't offer any.
On a flight she comes and greets me with my surname, introduces herself, on other flights they don't.
I ask for Souroti (sparkling water in a can). I either get the can and refill the 100ml glass myself, but once she kept it, and I asked for a refill once. I was ashamed to ask her again.Minor details of course.
The whole flight service process has been changed for the worst and most FA are not happy / ok with it (and pax neither for a reason).
I will be honest with you I never have experienced "US airlines style" service and FA... Most of the time I really appreciate them (in Y but also domestic it's another story).

I can't talk about breakfast as I think I never flown A3 during breakfast time or maybe long time ago in Y domestic.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
I quite agree that business class is not what it used to be. No more welcome drink before take off (but it was quite awful anyway). I also have the feeling that I was served the same food to Athens and then back to Paris.
I think cabin attendants are not as attentive as they used to be. They serve you and look somewhere else. On my inbound flight, I asked for ouzo and the girl seemed at lost with such a request. I then asked for some red wine and got white wine instead LOL
I still love the airline, because I feel like I am in Greece as soon as I board, but it’s not what it used to be a few years ago, for sure.
Same here, I still love this airline and even use them instead of direct flights from CDG. Intra European they are my fav *A, only exception is if TK are flying 777/330 or their 2-2 in C with real business class seats.

I agree with this feeling of being in Greece since you enter the cabin and it was a strong asset of the airline but now it's gone, mostly for the reasons mentioned here.
The wine is a nightmare now... it's a good vinegar, not a decent wine. What a shame compared to the amazing curation work they where doing to promote local productions...

This only thing that would make me stop flying A3 : if one day they remove my fav combo : expresso - dark chocolate - mastica with 2 ice cubes.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I am however far less satisfied with what the lounge at Athens has been offering (or rather not offering) lately.
The lounges in Athens since renovation are really below average.
The non Schengen one is way too small and the Schengen one is a total zoo 24/24.
I don't use them anymore and go instead to LH in Schengen (food is better and wine is very good / great monthly selection / interesting & surprising selection of premium spirits).
Non Schengen I exclusively use the Gold Air lounge with PP. Food selection is really basic but I like how bright and comfortable it is compare to the A3 rabbit cage. I avoid it for mid day flights (US departures).
As there is no more newspapers I don't even stop by A3 lounge for newspapers.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
I don't use them anymore and go instead to LH in Schengen....
Been there a couple of times (mostly on purpose, just to see how it compares to the Aegean lounge and once because it was completely empty and the other wasn't. However: Flying out of Athens between 9a.m. and 2p.m. I've often (pre-covid) come across... waiting lines (!!!) outside the Lufthansa lounge. I really felt sorry for those people. The lounge itself is minuscule and last I remember (Summer 2020) it was lacking something I thought was inexplicable (I believe it was that it didn't have a bathroom/toilet!!). But I would agree on food (though nothing beats the Thessaloniki lounge).
You are right, it's not for sure back to pre-covid but the prices are. I don't see any reason not to bring back the pre covid service.
I have also forget to mention : their own magazine is back but newspapers are not available for sanitary reasons. This is pure BS.
Regarding prices: I couldn't disagree more. 2 reasons: a) It's an extremely general statement. I don't overwatch all their prices, but I can imagine some high-demand routes seeing expensive fares available (there were quite a few 100% sold-out flights this summer season). Plus some economy class prices were already extremely low even long before the pandemic. b) You really can't make that statement, when you have people like myself making gold from blue for 500 Euros! I've booked the most insanely priced tickets in the last 18 months and even now (well, late September) I booked Z fares in business class with 50% discount for next summer, (in part) thanks to targeted promotions (and on quite a few routes there are A fares available). The pandemic brought up A and Z fares on routes that had never seen them in at least the previous 8 years! Considering a 200 Euro A or Z fare goes up to 300 when available as D, the savings for people buying full revenue business class tickets are huge! Combine that with a discount code (which were previously almost never applicable to business class fares, now I'd say 3 to 5 out of 10 codes are!) and it's getting ridiculous. I've had tickets where just the award miles that these alone generated were worth more than the price I had paid.
Aegean's fares prices have remained the same as before (my Greece-Germany routes have a non-discounted P at 24 Euros, which has been the case for as far as I can remember, which is around 5-7 years now), except for one important difference: There are now 3 economy fare categories available. So, for the same price as before, the cheapest fares in the cheapest categories now get you less miles and less baggage allowance, but up until 13 days ago you could book "light" (the cheapest) fares and be able to change them with no rebooking fees! Even better: The now so-called "flex" fares offer the same benefit (unlimited changes with no rebooking fees) for an absolutely negligible additional charge, which makes them more attractive than even the older "go light" fares. One other factor that has changed are airport fees and taxes. These have gone up, but have basically nothing to do with the airline. I am still extremely happy with Aegean's prices, but of course this can heavily depend on how much you value your own transportation and how much of a "premium" a route or a season for a specific route is.
Regarding "entertainment". Sure, the newspapers are out... I did at some point read one or two, just to get an even more "hey, I'm a business person" feeling on board (don't want to comment on newspapers in general right now) but we've seen the introduction of in-flight wi-fi or at least through Aegean's app, the ability to read tons of stuff on your own digital device, listen to music, see live maps etc. I much prefer that to the old little monitors up on the ceiling and the now long gone music via earphones from the jacks on your seat. You can even play some games if you want.

PS. Apart from saving money, I see only one reason why the airline wouldn't want the full wine cellar (I mean the full service) restored to the pre-covid state: Covid is far from over and in my experience, people use any and all excuses to remove their masks (this also means not wear them properly) in-flight, there was even a man on my last flight who boarded with a "I don't give a &^%$" attitude without a proper mask (the crew gave him one, I'd bet my right hand he took it off first chance he got) and continuously serving drinks in business (or any) class, would result in absolutely no passengers wearing masks. Of course you can argue "nobody there has covid!", but I'd personally right now only feel more comfortable if everyone on board was both vaccinated and also just prior to the flight rapid-tested. People generally need to start simply behaving better and I mean also regardless of the pandemic. I see the world becoming full of egomaniacs.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Sadly I agree with frenchft's assessment of catering in Business at the moment. Firstly, the choice of meals is not as interesting as it used to be. I have a flight next month which has exactly the same options as I had on flights in August and September. Quinoa seems to be the new fad for the salad (which I find tasteless and hardly Greek!). Desserts have become almost non-existent, on the surveys I always mention that! The mains are pretty bland now too, which I don't remember thinking 3 or 4 years ago.

Regarding the attentiveness of the crew, it is unfortunately pretty hit and miss, just like most other airlines.

Hopefully most of these issues are Covid-19 related (presentation because of all the plastic, dessert has to go on the same tray - hence smaller portions, crew are advised to interact less, etc, etc.).
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I also tend to agree, to a certain degree:
- Starter are quite poor indeed, except the quinoa salad with salmon, which I find fresh and good, away from the usual carb ladden equivalents on other airlines
- Mains are still good IMHO and they have improved the main for breakfast
- Desert and cheese: not as good as before
- Bread is really sad
- Alcohol: I do not drink so leave that to the experts
- Coffee and chocolates: glad for that
- Crew: usually good, some a bit miss

I also hope for some improvements,we will see. Despite all of this A3 C remains one of the best of Europe.
KATERGOO and romans like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Talked with few FA : they are desperate by the new service rules and the quality of what they serve. One even told me : "it's a shame and I feel ashamed but the new service". Time to wake up A3!
I think we were on the same flight. I remember someone in the row in front of me talking about all this to the FA, and I was almost certain it was an FTer!

FWIW, I agree with most of the comments in this thread.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackball
I think we were on the same flight. I remember someone in the row in front of me talking about all this to the FA, and I was almost certain it was an FTer!

FWIW, I agree with most of the comments in this thread.
Would be funny. Wich route?
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
One thing that amazed me earlier in the week was to be told that at the moment, they are forbidden from having lemon slices to put in drinks for hygiene reasons - though the do have ice. The crew member said she was as puzzled by it as I looked.

The pudding on my tray was about the size of a €2 coin, a far cry from what was eighteen months ago.

I no longer regard Covid as an excuse for reduced/poor service, there has been long enough now to get things back to normal. It's now a service reduction.

On quinoa, I detest the stuff but it came as a main with the ever present chicken thigh in a cheese sauce, very strange dish and not what I had pre-ordered from the menu on line less than a week before.
KATERGOO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.