Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Catering in C : A3 is ruining a stunning product. Sad

Catering in C : A3 is ruining a stunning product. Sad

Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
One thing that amazed me earlier in the week was to be told that at the moment, they are forbidden from having lemon slices to put in drinks for hygiene reasons - though the do have ice. The crew member said she was as puzzled by it as I looked.

The pudding on my tray was about the size of a 2 coin, a far cry from what was eighteen months ago.

I no longer regard Covid as an excuse for reduced/poor service, there has been long enough now to get things back to normal. It's now a service reduction.

On quinoa, I detest the stuff but it came as a main with the ever present chicken thigh in a cheese sauce, very strange dish and not what I had pre-ordered from the menu on line less than a week before.
Agree. Prices are high. Planes are full. Time to bring back service. COVID is not an excuse anymore.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by frenchft
Would be funny. Wich route?
I think it was CDG-ATH, 3 weeks ago? Otherwise HER-CDG (my return was via HER), a few days later.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by blackball
I think it was CDG-ATH, 3 weeks ago? Otherwise HER-CDG (my return was via HER), a few days later.
Possible CDG-ATH.
HER not been since years.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Having just done my first 4 A3 flights since "the bag", I find it hard to agree with your sentiments. Yes, the portions are smaller but they were also shrinking pre-pandemic. I still found the quality of the food to be excellent, with the breakfast omelette the notable exception. However, I am still to find an airline that can do a really good breakfast, especially on short-haul flights within the EU.

On the subject of pricing, I was able to renew Gold for less than €400 which I consider a pretty solid deal when you consider I got 4 business class flights out of it too. I also rebooked some flights to next year and the price difference to upgrade from L to Z was so low that I decided to forfeit my upgrade coupons and just pay outright for business. That would never have happened a few years back.

In short, I'm still very happy with A3 and am quite willing to overlook one bad omelette when I consider how good things are on the whole.
giorginho likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I find the title of this thread to be a bit strong. The product might be less than it was, but I wouldn't say it is ruined by any stretch. I don't think any of their competitors come close to matching their level of service.

And as far as the idea that prices are as they were before, I can only say that we must be looking at very different routes. Aegean paid business class used to always be the most expensive option when I would look before. From AMS or LHR or FRA, (the main markets that I would fly from) I don't think I ever found Aegean business to be available for less than 150% of the price of discounted business on LH/LX/OS. Nowadays, it has been outright cheaper than competitors, even when I just booked some flights during the double tier mile promo. Perhaps I am misremembering, but I almost never booked Aegean in paid C on these routes because they were usually significantly more expensive.

But back to the actual service, I always take the seafood meal, so I have still been quite happy with the starters. (Just recently enjoyed prawns and octopus, which was very yum) And while I would prefer the courses presented individually, I still think the current conditions are quite okay for now. If the prices on your routes are same as pre-pandemic highs, then I would probably tend to agree that the service should be better, but for my routes, the prices are still quite competitive which makes the service really shine in comparison to the similarly or higher priced competition.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I find the title of this thread to be a bit strong. The product might be less than it was, but I wouldn't say it is ruined by any stretch. I don't think any of their competitors come close to matching their level of service.

And as far as the idea that prices are as they were before, I can only say that we must be looking at very different routes. Aegean paid business class used to always be the most expensive option when I would look before. From AMS or LHR or FRA, (the main markets that I would fly from) I don't think I ever found Aegean business to be available for less than 150% of the price of discounted business on LH/LX/OS. Nowadays, it has been outright cheaper than competitors, even when I just booked some flights during the double tier mile promo. Perhaps I am misremembering, but I almost never booked Aegean in paid C on these routes because they were usually significantly more expensive.

But back to the actual service, I always take the seafood meal, so I have still been quite happy with the starters. (Just recently enjoyed prawns and octopus, which was very yum) And while I would prefer the courses presented individually, I still think the current conditions are quite okay for now. If the prices on your routes are same as pre-pandemic highs, then I would probably tend to agree that the service should be better, but for my routes, the prices are still quite competitive which makes the service really shine in comparison to the similarly or higher priced competition.
Thanks for the tips regarding the seafood meal. I used to love when they served octopus as a starter, was delicious. Will definitely try this next time. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Having just done my first 4 A3 flights since "the bag", I find it hard to agree with your sentiments. Yes, the portions are smaller but they were also shrinking pre-pandemic. I still found the quality of the food to be excellent, with the breakfast omelette the notable exception. However, I am still to find an airline that can do a really good breakfast, especially on short-haul flights within the EU.

On the subject of pricing, I was able to renew Gold for less than 400 which I consider a pretty solid deal when you consider I got 4 business class flights out of it too. I also rebooked some flights to next year and the price difference to upgrade from L to Z was so low that I decided to forfeit my upgrade coupons and just pay outright for business. That would never have happened a few years back.

In short, I'm still very happy with A3 and am quite willing to overlook one bad omelette when I consider how good things are on the whole.
Guys, don't get me wrong. I still love A3 and go out of my way to fly with them on some route (exemple : CDG-IST / CDG-MOW / LUX-IST / CDG-SOF / IST-OTP etc etc) where they are cheaper options direct. So it means I'm still ok with A3. BUT as mentioned before : they had a real Gem of a C class (best in europe, no doubt) but now they are just a good C class with nothing special. Of course if you compare with the competition (except TK and LX) it's still stunning C class but I tend to think about how amazing there were vs about good they are compare to the poor intra European C class most airlines offers (hello to AF / LO / LH and BA here).
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by frenchft
Guys, don't get me wrong. I still love A3 and go out of my way to fly with them on some route (exemple : CDG-IST / CDG-MOW / LUX-IST / CDG-SOF / IST-OTP etc etc) where they are cheaper options direct. So it means I'm still ok with A3. BUT as mentioned before : they had a real Gem of a C class (best in europe, no doubt) but now they are just a good C class with nothing special. Of course if you compare with the competition (except TK and LX) it's still stunning C class but I tend to think about how amazing there were vs about good they are compare to the poor intra European C class most airlines offers (hello to AF / LO / LH and BA here).
I see what you mean and I do agree that the overall offering has been reduced but you have to consider how hard the industry has been hit by this pandemic. While we all love getting as much as we can while paying as little as possible, I still feel that we are treated very well by A3 all things considered. I'm also not convinced that things won't get better again once the world recovers more from this pandemic. While I would fully expect other airlines to stick with their cutbacks, I could foresee A3 restoring the service to pre-pandemic levels. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how things develop in the coming years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.