Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in IST

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Transit in IST

I'm potentially looking at flying YVR-IST-ATH, but in the Greek government information, there is the following lines:

"The countries from which entry is allowed, under the aforementioned conditions, without the requirement for subsequent self-isolation are: EU & Schengen Area countries, USA, UK, Israel, Serbia, UAE, New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Thailand, Rwanda, Singapore, the Russian Federation, North Macedonia, Canada, Belarus, Bahrein, Qatar, China, Kuwait, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro *, and Saudi Arabia."

"Non EU citizens are strongly advised to choose direct flights to Greece. In any other case, travelers should abide by the stop-over country requirements."

Source: https://travel.gov.gr/#/

It is not clear what this means - particularly "stop-over country requirements".

It could be read to mean that if you are not flying directly to Greece, you must follow a set of requirements in stop-over countries (such as not leaving transit areas).

Or, it could mean that if you don't fly direct, you must follow the entry requirements of the country you stop-over in, rather than the country of your origin.

(This would make sense for an actual stop-over, but not for transit, for example!)

If the latter, it could mean that a quarantine is required in Greece even if you just transit in Istanbul.

So, does anyone know for sure how this works?

I have found a report of someone doing XXX-DBX-ATH, which would be a non-direct flight, but that doesn't answer the question as DBX is in the UAE which is on the non-quarantine list

Has anyone done XXX-IST-ATH, transit only, where XXX-ATH would be permitted? Or any other XXX-YYY-ATH, where XXX-ATH would be permitted but YYY-ATH would not be?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I believe they mean the first, i.e. that you have to make sure you are allowed to fly to your first destination and take your connecting flight to ATH from there. Country of origin would still be Canada in your case - I suppose you'd be traveling on CAN passport. There are certain EU countries who are/were more strict than Greece, even just for transit, so you might have been stopped there, e.g. we were not allowed to fly DXB-FRA-ATH with a non-EU passport, despite being allowed to flight directly to ATH based on Greece's entry rules. As an added note, quarantine in Greece is not strictly enforced tbh, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're fully vaccinated/recently tested positive.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by peteremcc
Or, it could mean that if you don't fly direct, you must follow the entry requirements of the country you stop-over in, rather than the country of your origin.
This is exactly what it means.

That is why the text above advises you to travel on a service directly from one of the listed countries. If you travel via any other place - even if just to change planes - you are subject to the rules applicable to all passengers arriving from that case, i.e. you are considered as arriving from Turkey and subject to whatever rules are applicable to arrivals from Turkey.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is exactly what it means.

That is why the text above advises you to travel on a service directly from one of the listed countries. If you travel via any other place - even if just to change planes - you are subject to the rules applicable to all passengers arriving from that case, i.e. you are considered as arriving from Turkey and subject to whatever rules are applicable to arrivals from Turkey.
Do you have a source for this? I don't think it's correct - you don't even have to declare a transit stop in the PLF to enter Greece.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
Do you have a source for this?
The page you quoted, which you were unsure how to intepret.

Think about it - why do they advise non-EU nationals to travel on direct flights, if travelling with a transfer in a country not on the list had no impact on their experience upon arrival?

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Attached Images  
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The page you quoted, which you were unsure how to intepret.

Think about it - why do they advise non-EU nationals to travel on direct flights, if travelling with a transfer in a country not on the list had no impact on their experience upon arrival?

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
I wasn't unsure how to interpret the page, I interpreted it as a reminder to travelers to confirm they are allowed to transit through a third country on their way to Greece. The direct flight advice is only a suggestion so that Greece-bound non-EU tourists are not stopped at the origin when flying through transit restricted countries, e.g. Germany. The US embassy that you quoted is saying the same thing.

I also read the current law (valid until 21/06 if not extended), and the quarantine for incoming travelers has been abolished completely. For Greece there are no other restrictions apart from entry restrictions based on the country of citizenship/permanent residency (unless testing positive at the arrival airport).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.