Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled and requested Refund. Aegean asking for bank information !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled and requested Refund. Aegean asking for bank information !!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:51 am

I would be leery to provide my bank account number info to a company that has "technical errors" handling money.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xooz
I would be leery to provide my bank account number info to a company that has "technical errors" handling money.
Why, what do you think they would do with it?
cad-spe likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I would suspect it may be more an issue of the financial viability of the airline. Merchants usually must maintain a reserve balance with the
credit card processor - perhaps Aegean is at their limit, and processing any refunds is no longer permitted.
I don't believe so. Recent (business class) tickets were refunded to card without issue.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This information is printed on every paper check issued from OP's account and handed to a merchant, relative or whatever. It is no different other than format, than the credit card number which would be required to issue a refund to a credit card. This is public-facing information used Billions of times per day around the world.

What exactly would concern you?
cad-spe, Yreal and bon mot like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:25 pm

Just my choice. I am fine giving credit card info, as incorrect charges can easily be disputed. Erroneous actions against my bank account can be much more impactful and harder to resolve. While I understand that anyone in receipt of a paper check from me could purposefully defraud me, I still do not give bank info to anyone for them to take action on in some automated fashion.

Last edited by xooz; Apr 6, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Just my choice. I am fine giving credit card info, as incorrect charges can easily be disputed. Erroneous actions against my bank account can be much more impactful and harder to resolve.
If you bank with an outfit that will pay out money to anyone who merely quotes your bank account number, and further will make it "harder to resolve" when they have performed such unauthorised actions on your account, then you really need to find a new banking establishment.
KLouis, cad-spe, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I simply choose not to allow auto deductions from my bank account, preferring to control the issuance and amount of the payment each time. In this case, the theory is that the bank info will be used for future payment, but for me personally, I would do the cc dispute to reclaim my payment rather than give the airline my account information. This seems more likely to succeed quickly and securely than sending my banking information to a blind email account at Aegean.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you bank with an outfit that will pay out money to anyone who merely quotes your bank account number, and further will make it "harder to resolve" when they have performed such unauthorised actions on your account, then you really need to find a new banking establishment.
I don't know in what world you live in, however, if an airline the size of Aegean is not capable of refunding a ticket back to the original payment method then the one who needs to find a new business model is the airline, technical issues processing a simple credit card refund are not normal. Just saying
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I would suspect it may be more an issue of the financial viability of the airline. Merchants usually must maintain a reserve balance with the
credit card processor - perhaps Aegean is at their limit, and processing any refunds is no longer permitted.
Really? I work with eCom sellers doing... well, much less than Aegean (hah) and no one is obliged to keep reserves with any of the processors (banks, card payment gateways, PayPal or other third-party processors). I sometimes get a vibe that people here are rooting for Aegean to go down and are like happy when they post stuff like this? To a random guy reading this - Aegean is doing fine, feel free to book your summer tickets

Originally Posted by Palal
Do a chargeback with your CC - provide the CC details of the cancellation. They are supposed to refund to the original form of payment.
​​​​​​​
When the transaction is "archived" (that 90/180-day limit) it's over for the chargeback. I think most card issuers set it at 120 days. So if the OP's original transaction is indeed older than this time-frame, no refund/chargeback/anything, hence the bank account details.

Last edited by flyertalker0039345; Apr 6, 2021 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by atothepoweroftwo
​​​
When the transaction is "archived" (that 90/180-day limit) it's over for the chargeback. I think most card issuers set it at 120 days. So if the OP's original transaction is indeed older than this time-frame, no refund/chargeback/anything, hence the bank account details.
I've had success disputing it after that limit - mostly for airline tickets where service was not yet rendered and refund was due (and the airline said they'd refund it). You have a few more hoops to jump through, but things came through in the end.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
[QUOTE=atothepoweroftwo;33158011]Really? I work with eCom sellers doing... well, much less than Aegean (hah) and no one is obliged to keep reserves with any of the processors (banks, card payment gateways, PayPal or other third-party processors). I sometimes get a vibe that people here are rooting for Aegean to go down and are like happy when they post stuff like this? To a random guy reading this - Aegean is doing fine, feel free to book your summer tickets

I think you are not fully aware of actual life in the hard world of business today. In Cyprus (and perhaps Greece), it is now standard practice for card payment processors to withhold 5% of receipts from merchants for 30 working days. This condition is applied, in particular but not exclusively, to businesses which provide pre-paid services for delivery in the future and is done to provide protection against claims for reversal of charges. Indeed, only yesterday I had a massive three-hour telephone fight with JCC (the main credit card processor in Cyprus) which had imposed this condition on a new marine repair services company I established in November. Because the company does not offer pre-paid services, JCC reluctantly agreed to waive this condition and a large amount of cash was credited to the company account today. So you are wrong that 'no-one is obliged to keep reserves with any of the processors.'
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnirvine
I think you are not fully aware of actual life in the hard world of business today. In Cyprus (and perhaps Greece), it is now standard practice for card payment processors to withhold 5% of receipts from merchants for 30 working days. This condition is applied, in particular but not exclusively, to businesses which provide pre-paid services for delivery in the future and is done to provide protection against claims for reversal of charges. Indeed, only yesterday I had a massive three-hour telephone fight with JCC (the main credit card processor in Cyprus) which had imposed this condition on a new marine repair services company I established in November. Because the company does not offer pre-paid services, JCC reluctantly agreed to waive this condition and a large amount of cash was credited to the company account today. So you are wrong that 'no-one is obliged to keep reserves with any of the processors.'
I apologize, I guess I really do not know how Greek/Cypriot companies have to operate. In the US, small merchants are the ones whose funds are usually on hold because the banks/processors do not trust them. After some time, when they get to know you, you no longer have any holds on the funds and those can immediately be deposited into your bank account. With Aegean being much larger than an average eCom business, I was confident they are not obliged to keep any reserves.

I see no comment regarding rooting for Aegean to go down - I suppose the opinion I got from glancing at the posts here every now and then is rather true, at least regarding some members
giorginho likes this.

Last edited by flyertalker0039345; Apr 7, 2021 at 3:10 pm Reason: not native enough for Siri to understand what I'm saying
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:54 pm

,, Aegean to go down" :-)))) No way , dont worry about.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
They did the same with my brothers refund. He booked 2 tickets for him and his son(13). Award ticket. SQ cancelled the flights. Now A3 says refund only to credit card for the father, for the son they want banking information. The son does not have an account. Hilarious. So I asked my brother to fill out with his bank account info
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:01 am

Intermediary Bank???

I booked tickets through credit card but the flight cancelled. Now after 1 year I submitted voucher refund request. Aegean air is saying my account is not in Euro, I have account in Saudi Bank in Riyals, so they are asking intermediary Bank details, what is this and where do I find these details? If Anybody have info kindly tell.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.