Is this a real offer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
Is this a real offer?

I have received a promotional email from Aegean saying that
Travel to Greece with 30% off!
The offer is valid for all direct and connecting flights from all international destinations to/from Greece. Flights between 01/04/2021 – 30/10/2021.
The offer is described as being "until March 1st"

The VERY small lettering at the bottom of the email says:
Fares and fuel surcharges shown on the reservation system are already reduced 30%.

When you go to the website through the link provided in the email, the site is exactly the same as when you go in as a normal user. There is no mention on the site that the fares have been reduced by 30%. If they really have been reduced by this amount I expect it would be splattered all over the website. Not everyone is on their email list.

Is this a true reduction?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:18 am

It is a real offer and the fare prices have already dropped by 30% since a few days ago (the newsletter / notification is not received simultaneously by all recepients). I already booked flights combining this general discount and some discount codes too, which results in unbeatable prices for my flights. You should change the title to be a little more informative. The "30% off" isn't that big of a deal itself, it's been coming and going for quite some time now, sometimes it goes up to 40% or even to 50% (there has been a 50% discount on fares twice in the past 6 months -- not counting therecent "valentine's day 50% offer", which was only for a few selected destinations -- , though only 1 of those 2 times it was also applicable on business class fares), but the fact that you can combine this with other discount codes (which rarely exist parallel to such general promotions) is what makes this offer stand out.

There's also a clear mention on the homepage, it's the first backround that you get as soon as it loads, plus there's a separate section...
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/offers...omo-to-greece/ (and it's also basically the "tuesday's deal", for which there's also a separate section)

Last edited by giorginho; Feb 25, 2021 at 7:36 am
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I will probably use

Thanks, I see they now have a countdown to the end of the offer on their site.

I need 4 A3 flights for my requalification in May and have been monitoring the requalification thread here, but not the fare offers. There is a narrow window between the earliest date when the UK might allow travel, and my requalification date. So I am looking at a 18-20 May departure from the UK, plus a couple of internal flights. Once in Greece, Mrs Donard and I will want to stay past the requalification date. If we get an extension I will move our trip to later, though with Flex fares they say we would have to pay the fare difference. Interestingly, with Lite fares the say there is not , which is a(limited time offer (on the pop-up when you press the (i) symbol beside the fare when booking)

Unfortunately I do not have a code for an extra discount. The "gift" promotion gave us 1,000 miles each.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
In my opinion, one should buy tickets early to get the best deals. For summer, the best time to buy, I think, is December/January and that can be mixed with a promotion.
The flights I booked for May, June and July have gone up quite a lot, even taking into account the latest promotions (20%-30%)
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by donard

Is this a true reduction?
You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that you were singled out to receive a 30% discount, while others who are not in the know, or not on Aegean's mailing lists, are simultaneously being offered the same tickets at full price. Because you can't find evidence that these other poor sods are being charged at the full rate, you seem to smell some kind of rat here.

It is incorrect to assume or expect that you are among a special group that was singled out to benefit from an exclusive offer; it is incorrect to assume that Aegean is simultaneously selling the same tickets at two different prices for two different sets of people - that would most likely be illegal.

In any case, all visitors to the Aegean website are presented with the information that all flights to Greece are being offered to all-comers at a discount of 30%.

If I have totally misinterpreted your post, and you are concerned that the prices are not 30% below what they were prior to the offer - rather than that your concern is that you can't find evidence that A3 is simultaneously targeting 2 different groups with 2 different prices, your price being 30% off - then my apologies.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Clarifications

KATERGOO Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Amazon has not delivered my time machine yet, so I cannot go back to use your information for this booking. I have the ability to travel forwards in time, and will want to book a couple of domestic flights between 21 May and 24 may. HER-ATH-CHQ is the most likely and then I will requalify for *G.

irishguy28 I never thought that A3 was targeting two different groups. I came across something strange, and queried Flyertalk.

I looked at A3's site and found fares for the flights I was interested in, but did not book. .A few days later, I received an email saying there was 30% off. Great, so I followed the link, which showed exactly the same fares as before. There was no big splash on the site saying the fares shown were 30% off. The email said the site would show fares that were 30% reduced, but the site itself never mentioned a 30% reduction. Strange - maybe I was missing some sort of discount code or .... So I posted.

With hindsight, I have figured out what happened, A3 posted reduced fares on the site. They sent out the emails. They had not added any banners to the site saying the fares were discounted. I checked the site and was puzzled, as the fares were still the same as before. It was only then that A3 updated the site with the banners saying 30% off and a countdown to the end of the promotion. You and others saw my post, looked at the site and thought "what an idiot!". I do not deny being an idiot from time to time, but not this time.

I seem to have mentioned time a lot in this post.

Last edited by donard; Feb 27, 2021 at 11:09 am Reason: Punctuation error
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:24 am

donard you are not an idiot, you are just probably not accustomed to Aegean's pricing policy and thus you simply didn't know what to look for. Here's the clue for future reference: If you've booked a certain couple of routes before, you probably have an idea about how big the price difference between "light", "flex" and "comfort flex" is. For my routes for example I know for a fact that it now is 12 (light - flex) and 50 (light - comfort flex) Euros respectively (it used to be lower when they still had the "go light" fare). Since 30% discount on the fare basis is a big discount it should be easy to spot if such a 50 Euro difference for example has been reduced down to 35 Euros . Then you know, that there's a 30% discount in place.
You also seem to have missed both my mentions, that newsletters and price reductions don't go out simultaneously and that this offer was promoted in 2 different ways (as a "tuesday deal" as well as a separate "offer"). Again: The prices were already reduced when you were searching for your tickets (probably long!) before you got the e-mail... that's why you couldn't tell it was "true".
KATERGOO we are living in a totally crazy time with regards to travel so you never know when the best price will be feasible, but in general you are correct: Aegean's fares around the peak season are always high, they basically never post P fares for those dates, even on the very first day, when their flight schedule goes online. However you can book with promotional codes, which do appear around the period you mention and book a more expensive fare at a reduced price. My booking a couple of days ago regarded late August till late September dates so it is a similar distance to December-June :P
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by donard
KATERGOO Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Amazon has not delivered my time machine yet, so I cannot go back to use your information for this booking. I have the ability to travel forwards in time, and will want to book a couple of domestic flights between 21 May and 24 may. HER-ATH-CHQ is the most likely and then I will requalify for *G.

irishguy28 I never thought that A3 was targeting two different groups. I came across something strange, and queried Flyertalk.

I looked at A3's site and found fares for the flights I was interested in, but did not book. .A few days later, I received an email saying there was 30% off. Great, so I followed the link, which showed exactly the same fares as before. There was no big splash on the site saying the fares shown were 30% off. The email said the site would show fares that were 30% reduced, but the site itself never mentioned a 30% reduction. Strange - maybe I was missing some sort of discount code or .... So I posted.

With hindsight, I have figured out what happened, A3 posted reduced fares on the site. They sent out the emails. They had not added any banners to the site saying the fares were discounted. I checked the site and was puzzled, as the fares were still the same as before. It was only then that A3 updated the site with the banners saying 30% off and a countdown to the end of the promotion. You and others saw my post, looked at the site and thought "what an idiot!". I do not deny being an idiot from time to time, but not this time.

I seem to have mentioned time a lot in this post.
donard, sorry to say my post was not for you only. Nevertheless, I hope your time line goes well over 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.