Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Fraport Greece Completes Four-Year Construction Program for the 14 Greek Airports

Fraport Greece Completes Four-Year Construction Program for the 14 Greek Airports

Old Feb 10, 21, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Fraport Greece Completes Four-Year Construction Program for the 14 Greek Regional Airports

10.02.2021Three months ahead of schedule, Fraport Greece has completed a major four-year infrastructure development program at the 14 regional airports .Thus, Fraport Greece is delivering redeveloped, safe and future-oriented airports that provide new services, greater comfort, and more amenities to Greek and international travellers from around the world.

Fraport Greece launched the airport development program in April 2017, in tandem with the start-up of its concession for managing eleven island and three mainland airports across Greece. Despite various challenges, construction works advanced successfully throughout the first three years, including the peak summer travel periods and even continued during the pandemic; having to overcome many difficulties and challenges. In January 2021, Fraport Greece concluded the last of the construction works for the 14 airports well ahead of the April 2021 contractual deadline.

https://www.fraport-greece.com/eng/m...ional-airports
romans likes this.
Old Feb 10, 21, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

romans, headingwest and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 7:03 am

Amazing news! The last time I was flying from Mytilini you could see the new shiny terminal building fully complete - but we were using the old terminal, which while it still has its charm (that Greek island airport vibe) looked rundown compared to the new building.
Old Feb 11, 21, 1:50 pm

Programs: A3*G
I love Mykonos airport architecture. A real success, I think !
Old Feb 12, 21, 12:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by KATERGOO View Post
I love Mykonos airport architecture. A real success, I think !
Agreed. It certainly looks wonderful in this video.

https://www.k-studio.gr/project/mykonos-airport/
romans, Arrivals, DELLAS and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post

Fantastic video. I love it !
Old Feb 18, 21, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post

They have done a pretty decent job. Really reflects the Islands heritage. Might be worth a visit later in the year to experience it.
Old Feb 23, 21, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
It looks to be more of a facelift than anything else? No interior shots make me think maybe they didn't improve that dismal holding pen where you spend 3-4 hours waiting for your delayed 2:50AM VY flight with no services, though I hope to be surprised! I guess I'll find out in July!
Old Feb 23, 21, 4:17 am

No details were given, but in certain airports (e,g, SKG, CFU) new buildings were built or large extentions of alreay existing buildings were "added". At HER, which was redone 2 years ago (not by Fraport), the improvement through an extension mostly affecting departures is very visible, although this airport is supposed to close in a few (how many?) years, when the new airport at Kastelli is finished*. Now, given that the whole island of Mykonos is overcrowded 24/7 from May till October, expecting an empty departure hall is a very wishful thinking, especially during the night when the cheap flights arrive and leave...

* Mind you, based on the pace of progress so far, I'm certain that it will be finished at the latest by 2122.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Feb 23, 21, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanw View Post
It looks to be more of a facelift than anything else? No interior shots make me think maybe they didn't improve that dismal holding pen where you spend 3-4 hours waiting for your delayed 2:50AM VY flight with no services, though I hope to be surprised! I guess I'll find out in July!
Fly A3/OA rather then airlines known for their delays 😉 Even Via ATH would be quicker if a 3-4 hour delay is on the cards .
Old Feb 24, 21, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
At HER, which was redone 2 years ago (not by Fraport), the improvement through an extension mostly affecting departures is very visible, although this airport is supposed to close in a few (how many?) years, when the new airport at Kastelli is finished*.
I noted the HER extension when there in November 2019. I was not aware of the Kastelli project...will keep an eye on it now.
Old Feb 27, 21, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
Originally Posted by DELLAS View Post
Fly A3/OA rather then airlines known for their delays 😉 Even Via ATH would be quicker if a 3-4 hour delay is on the cards .
I wish! Sadly you can't get from JMK to BCN on Aegean. Well, not unless you fancy a 16-hour journey over two days. That 3AM Vueling flight is literally the best option (and I'm not happy about it).
Old Feb 27, 21, 6:36 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I wish! Sadly you can't get from JMK to BCN on Aegean. Well, not unless you fancy a 16-hour journey over two days. That 3AM Vueling flight is literally the best option (and I'm not happy about it).
traveled to and from Mykonos last year and the interieur has all been renovated. Check in area is so much better and bigger with a starbucks cafe. Airside you have a duty free, a cafe and a restaurant. So much better than before.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: