Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Old Nov 26, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,
I am in that group of Gold members whose status was extended to May 23/24. At the time this was done, many other major airlines extended their members for an entire year. Does anyone know if it's possible that Aegean will extend again to make it one year?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by karns
Hello all,
I am in that group of Gold members whose status was extended to May 23/24. At the time this was done, many other major airlines extended their members for an entire year. Does anyone know if it's possible that Aegean will extend again to make it one year?
Everything is possible this year, but don't necessarily count on that!
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Everything is possible this year, but don't necessarily count on that!
I guess I won't, but I will be hoping like crazy, as I don't expect to get a chance to do the runs before then. Maybe there are many of us who could apply some pressure?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I was thinking the same these days. With lockdowns in place in some countries in Europe, and a high level of uncertainty as to what happens next, it's next to impossible to plan a status run anytime soon.

I'm "in".
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: LX*S/ SK*G
I'm in as well!
With all these restrictions it's impossible to go anywhere.
Let's send some emails and pressure A3 to consider extending with another 6 months. It won't cost them anything!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I suspect I'm in a minority but I like my qualification date moving from November to May,
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Honestly, I don't think anything we do as individuals or collectively will move A3 on a general level. They will want to have a certain number of Golds and Silvers to generate loyalty both to A3 and *A generally. A FFP is a profit centre for every airline, even if not flying the 'host' carrier, so they will try to maintain active members.

They've already taken the first step by extending for 6 months and reducing the status miles required. They increased the number of purchasable status miles. They then offered double miles during a period when travel within Europe was broadly possible. If that's enough to bring their required numbers then likely that'll be it. If it isn't then they'll come up with something else. That could be one of several things - a further six months extension and re-start everyone from November again. A further reduction in the status miles requirement. A relaxation of the number of A3 flights needed.

In my case I had SK flights to the US which would have requalified me back in May. Even without that I also had enough booked A3 flights to re-qualify at the lower tier mile level, coupled with the double miles. The SK flights were obviously canned. Two days before I was due to fly to SKG they closed the airport and so those went as well.

Right now I have another trip to ATH booked for March (not on A3), with some internal flights when I'm there to push me over the line. If Europe is still not open, or the UK still requires self-isolation on return from Greece, then I will have to drop those trips as well.

At that point I'd probably write to A3 pointing out that I would have re-qualified many times over and ask if there was some discretion on an individual basis. I'd also think that if it was still essentially impossible for me to re-qualify then A3 would have a numbers problem again and would be looking at it more broadly.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by karns
I guess I won't, but I will be hoping like crazy, as I don't expect to get a chance to do the runs before then. Maybe there are many of us who could apply some pressure?
It doesn't exactly sound like you are in a position to apply pressure...

"Aegean, regardless of whether you extend my status by another 6 months or not, I won't be doing any more Star Alliance flying until after May" doesn't exactly sound like you are holding all the cards in that negotiation!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:12 am

,, If Europe is still not open, or the UK still requires self-isolation" I hope not, i also have double miles flight 1 march ath-london and back next day. Lets hope, with the vaccination they will open more in febr.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
I bought the remaining tier milles when they went on sale. I had a bunch more flights, so that was a facepalm moment.

Then the lockdown went in, got vouchers for everything and I turned out alright.

I did a round-trip athens, jtr-ath-bru and dus-skg-ath-ams this year. I could fly to Stockholm on sas plus flight, but just buying the milles seems easier at this point.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by powergean
,, If Europe is still not open, or the UK still requires self-isolation" I hope not, i also have double miles flight 1 march ath-london and back next day. Lets hope, with the vaccination they will open more in febr.
You should be able to fly to London and back without any problems, you just have to go directly to your hotel and stay there until it's time for your return flight.
GUWonder, DELLAS and powergean like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:32 am

Are you sure??? Thanks anyway!

Last edited by powergean; Nov 29, 2020 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:06 am
AOH

I am in the same boat. I don't think I will do any substantial flying in the foreseeable future. I really hope Aegean extends status for another 6 months. Several other loyalty programs extended by a full year.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:25 am

i dont think, they will do thes. They alredy gived 6 month, and we only need 9 000 miles, for requalify, not 12 000 as normally.
giorginho likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by powergean
i dont think, they will do thes. They alredy gived 6 month, and we only need 9 000 miles, for requalify, not 12 000 as normally.
assuming, of course, you live at an airport with A3 service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.