Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info

Old Apr 30, 22, 10:13 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's odd. Did you get the email?

Mine still shows 23/11, which is the extended date. I'm back to pretty much my regular flying schedule so have no problems requalifying before 23 May. However due to this extension I won't get the upgrade vouchers in May.. which I was really counting on for this summer/autumn travel. The business class travel that I had booked for the summer is also kind of wasted now, at least the status miles part, as those will just be lost and not count towards next year.

For me I think this means that... I will have to switch back to Skyteam till november. At least there everything that's earned (award and status miles) carries over to next year. Or maybe figure out how to start flying LH P-fares... which I've always avoided until now.
jerry_greece likes this.
Old Apr 30, 22, 11:37 am

Xandrios, have you thought about calling Aegean Air and telling them that you do not want the extension? They can be accommodating if you explain.

I could have re-qualified in March (400 miles short, so will just purchase miles for 37.50). But for me, since Im not planning to travel over the summer, I decided to wait for the extension before I re-qualify. Now I can just purchase the points and be good until November 24, 2023. I should have no problem re-qualifying next year with the May 24, 2023 date, but I will take the extra 6 months just in case my future travel plans are again changed by the pandemic.
Xandrios and nk15 like this.

Last edited by Flyingtime; Apr 30, 22 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 30, 22, 12:37 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Flyingtime View Post
Xandrios, have you thought about calling Aegean Air and telling them that you do not want the extension? They can be accommodating if you explain.
Yes, this is the rare exception where they are actually harming you, I would call...

In my last call to them I actually asked if they would extending everybody, as some people already had been...and a few days later they did...
Old Apr 30, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
Trying to Keep 23 May as My Renewal Date

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Yes, this is the rare exception where they are actually harming you, I would call...

In my last call to them I actually asked if they would extending everybody, as some people already had been...and a few days later they did...
While I appreciate the extensions A3 has offered during the pandemic, this very short-notice puts me in a bit of a bind.

In February, I booked a trip from the US to Greece in May with 4 flight segments before 23 May and 4 after so that I could chalk up 2 years' worth in one fell swoop as I won't be able to travel much next year. After receiving the email, I immediately called the A3 Gold Hotline and was told to write them an email explaining the situation. I received a case # and a pro-forma email response and hope to hear something positive before my trip begins on 10 May. Other than having to manually change my renewal date in their system, I can't think of how not extending me could be detrimental to A3 in any way.
Old Apr 30, 22, 8:28 pm

I had already re-qualified and they changed my expiration date to May 2023.
Old Apr 30, 22, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post

I'm in the same boat. Has anyone who has already requalified been given an extension?
I would prefer the Nov. 2023 expiry date, but it doesn't seem promising.
Old Apr 30, 22, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
Hold on, you had already a November 2022 expiration date and got extended now, over 6 months in advance (!) by 6 months to May 2023? ​​​​​​​
Old May 1, 22, 5:00 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S); Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

So should I move my C flight due for next week that was booked as a mileage run , I wonder?

My status expires on 01AUG and if they are handing down additional six-month extensions (to people who already got the 12-month extension last year like me), this would simply be a waste of 2500 tier miles that would be better allocated to the next qualifying period.
Old May 1, 22, 5:07 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S); Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
So should I move my C flight due for next week that was booked as a mileage run , I wonder?

My status expires on 01AUG and if they are handing down additional six-month extensions (to people who already got the 12-month extension last year like me), this would simply be a waste of 2500 tier miles that would be better allocated to the next qualifying period.
Or can I get a refund maybe?
Old May 1, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
The posts above are a little confusing so perhaps a little more clarity is required. I was originally given the initial 6-month extension from November 23rd to May 23rd which was not wanted (and annoyingly moved the upgrade renewal process six months into the future). However, since then, things have operated normally. My card details have shown a validity date to May 2023 for many months and this has not changed. I do not believe that Aegean is giving already renewed cardholders a further 6-month extension, although there may possibly have been a cut-off date that excluded very recently renewed cardholders.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by johnirvine; May 1, 22 at 5:59 am
Old May 1, 22, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by johnirvine View Post
The posts above are a little confusing so perhaps a little more clarity is required. I was originally given the initial 6-month extension from November 23rd to May 23rd which was not wanted (and annoyingly moved the upgrade renewal process six months into the future). However, since then, things have operated normally. My card details have shown a validity date to May 2023 for many months and this has not changed. I do not believe that Aegean is giving already renewed cardholders a further 6-month extension, although there may possibly have been a cut-off date that excluded very recently renewed cardholders.
Yes, that's the part and I'm unsure of and would be grateful for clarity on - are people who got the extension last year (ie 12-month) being given new extensions?
Old May 1, 22, 6:52 am

Just to clarify my own extension history.
  • I requalified (legit) in 02/2020, just before the pandemic => expiry 02/2021
  • March 2020 - A3 gives systemwide 6-month extension of status => expiry 08/2021
  • June 2021 - receive a 12-month extension about 6 weeks before my *G expiry => expiry 08/2022 (I had a trip planned for July to cover retaining *G, which got moved to October)
  • Current expiry is 08/2022 and need 6350 miles
Old May 1, 22, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
Or can I get a refund maybe?
If you bought this outright as a C flight I believe it is fully refundable for voluntary cancellations, check the rules or call. If some of it was in economy and upgraded there are some modest penalties for cancellations but can retain full value as a voucher, I believe.
I am not sure it is guaranteed though that everyone is getting extensions.
yurtripper likes this.
Old May 1, 22, 7:37 am

Duplicate
Old May 1, 22, 7:41 am

If you bought this outright as a C flight I believe it is fully refundable for voluntary cancellations, check the rules or call. If some of it was in economy and upgraded there are some modest penalties for cancellations but can retain full value as a voucher, I believe.
I am not sure it is guaranteed though that everyone is getting extensions.
Thanks. Almost certainly I would visit ATH sometime during the summer anyway, so I am okay with just postponing it rather than getting a full refund, but it's nice to know that it's possible.

Search this Thread