Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Can I use the UK small claim court for recover ticket value for a cancelled A3 flight

Can I use the UK small claim court for recover ticket value for a cancelled A3 flight

Old Nov 9, 20, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here is the (rather complicated) situation: living in UK, booked flight on A3, paid with credit card in NL (but with my address being in UK) - can I use the UK small claim court for recover ticket value for a cancelled flight? Thanks
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 9, 20, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

sorry, forgot to mention that the flight was a domestic flight within Greece
Old Nov 10, 20, 1:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since this has nothing to do with LH or M&M related airlines I'm moving the question to the A3 forum.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod LH|M&M forum
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:13 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Anyone with access to a UK address can take action against any company or individual that also has a UK address.

In the case of A3, they most likely have an office at Heathrow which will run their UK ticketing operation. You need to send a Letter before Action to them giving them a reasonable time to pay, usually 14 days, and then you can issue proceedings.

Presumably you have not accepted a voucher and have requested the refund?
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:24 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
I'm not sure there is a UK address. If you dial a UK number you are routed directly to Athens. The ground handling at LHR is contracted and so they almost certainly have no UK presence at all other than a contractor. As for UK ticketing - it's all on line these days and almost without doubt not a UK based function, it's not like when you had them written out for you!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:40 am

Programs: A3*G
Even if you get a court to decide in your favour, the problem currently is, how to execute. Aegean probably has no assets in the UK (practically you can't seize a plane), so it will be hard to get your money even with a court order right now.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:19 am
Original Poster

thank for responses, though does not sound very promising
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
What are you trying to sue over?
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

well, one leg of our domestic flight was cancelled due to strike. Called in, protected return flight and requested refund. They told me that it'll take at least three months, which is clearly against EU law. Currently trying through credit card to force a charge back for the amount. But would like to have small claims court as back-up option. But if there is no address (I can see one addresses listed at different airports, but not sure whether this qualifies), I guess that is not really an option
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
You actually could attempt to seize a plane (been done in other countries including Germany and Austria)
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

doubt they are flying to UK right now and... what would I do with a plane - does not fit into my living room
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Focus on the chargeback which you have already filed. Presuming that your NL card issuer (bank) is decent, this should be a relatively easy process so long as you have done everything in writing and provided backup to prove each step of what you say in your OP. If not, I would shore that up. The whole point of a chargeback is to make this simple.
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

yes, that is my hope indeed. But they are also incredibly slow!
Old Nov 10, 20, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer View Post
yes, that is my hope indeed. But they are also incredibly slow!
Who is slow? If it is your card issuer, prod them hard. A decent card issuer ought to issue a provisional / temporary credit within a few days of a properly documented chargeback based on EC 261/2004 and that ought to become permanent shortly thereafter.

Small claims may seem quick, but service, and the entire process can take a very long time.
Old Nov 10, 20, 3:35 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
For what its worth, if you sue a3 will pay up as soon as you find out you are for real.

But the cc is your best bet. If you're dutch, de kantonrechter is also possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: