FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Double tier and award miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2025604-double-tier-award-miles.html)

:D! Sep 23, 20 8:16 am

Double tier and award miles

I was just wondering about how I would be able to renew my Gold by May 2021 when I got this email:

Double reward from Miles+BonusBook now your flights up to September 2021 and earn double award and tier miles, so that you can manage your tier effectively, despite any changes in your flight activity.

Ηοw to benefit from the offer
  • Book your flights up until 14.09.2020. 14.10.2020
  • Don’t forget to fill in your Miles+Bonus member ID during your booking

The initial email had a typo which was corrected shortly afterwards.

Garimi Sep 23, 20 8:22 am

I'm also looking for this offer....mayby its by 24 Sept....who knows but x2 on flex tariff with also off50 offer is tempted....

AlwaysFlyStar Sep 23, 20 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Garimi (Post 32694969)
I'm also looking for this offer....mayby its by 24 Sept....who knows but x2 on flex tariff with also off50 offer is tempted....

In the text of the email it says September 2021, so I would be inclined to think it is for a whole year?

Booking until 14.10 2020 for flights until September 2021.

pewpew Sep 23, 20 8:41 am

Is anyone able to find the fine print? I'm also wondering how to renew gold from North America...

headingwest Sep 23, 20 8:43 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 32694957)
I hope that 2020 is a typo and not that they sent an email 1 week too late.

Already corrected in my e-mail from them.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1bc72831b1.png

This would be great if it applied to existing bookings, I already have almost 6,000 to come with booked flights!

ermis177 Sep 23, 20 8:59 am

I have to say Aegean is trying really hard. OFF50 and now this. I will be booking my flights tomorrow.

MSPeconomist Sep 23, 20 9:23 am

I got the same email today, sent 09.23.2020, but I must book by 09.14.2020, not that I'm planning to try to go near Greece anytime soon.

nldogbert Sep 23, 20 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 32695028)
I have to say Aegean is trying really hard. OFF50 and now this. I will be booking my flights tomorrow.

This indeed is the case, I do still need some to requalify, however too bad that it's difficult to do without spending a night for a quick MR to ATH and back due to the reduced flight schedules.
I guess this 2x promo is only valid on A3 flights and not any *A flights.. which would help.

Cheers!

Archon1995 Sep 23, 20 9:48 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 32694993)
Is anyone able to find the fine print? I'm also wondering how to renew gold from North America...

I was wondering the same, and then I needed domestic UA flights the first weekend of October which will (read: should) tip me into Gold. It was looking grim for Gold this year until they popped up.

giorginho Sep 23, 20 9:49 am

The only thing that would make sense would be 14th October, since the 24th September would be only for 30-something hours, lika a "flash-sale".
Anyway, that and the 50off would make me silver with a single business class return flight, gold with 3 (coming from blue...!).
I think I'll wait a little bit until all the good prices disappear (shouldn't take too long now) so that I'll have a good excuse not to book 😜.

Archon1995 Sep 23, 20 9:54 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 32695091)
This indeed is the case, I do still need some to requalify, however too bad that it's difficult to do without spending a night for a quick MR to ATH and back due to the reduced flight schedules.
I guess this 2x promo is only valid on A3 flights and not any *A flights.. which would help.

Cheers!

I had the same thought. A nice jump on 2021 requalification if it does count on *A flights.

I'll almost certainly book some flights for next year with A3. If I still can't visit over there by then, airline status will probably be far, far down my list of worries...

NextWhiteDeath Sep 23, 20 10:01 am

So for anyone wondering. This promotion only covers new booking made from today (23.09.2020) till 14.10.2020
So people who hadn't used their 50off voucher can get a lot of miles this year for a flight.
Im missing out on this as I booked my 50off flight last week.
Also, it only applies to A3 and OA flights.

intuition Sep 23, 20 10:29 am

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath (Post 32695167)
So for anyone wondering. This promotion only covers new booking made from today (23.09.2020) till 14.10.2020

You have this confirmed from ...?

The mail has no fine print and the booking link seems to lead to generic "Book a flight".

NextWhiteDeath Sep 23, 20 10:30 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 32695239)
You have this confirmed from ...?

The mail has no fine print and the booking link seems to lead to generic "Book a flight".

I called the gold line and the representative looked it up.
​​​​​

irishguy28 Sep 23, 20 10:31 am

Corrected email sent out

Book your flights up until 14.10.2020.

irishguy28 Sep 23, 20 10:33 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 32695091)

Cheers!

Yes, this is now clearly stated in the corrected email

headingwest Sep 23, 20 10:45 am

I love the way Aegean always publishes something and then corrects/adapts/changes it over the following minutes, hours, and days!! :D

Doesn't someone actually check or proofread text before putting in on the web or sending out e-mails!?

palcsaky Sep 23, 20 12:03 pm

There also appears to be an unadvertised sale going on. This morning LHR-ATH return in business cost £350, now £220!

Garimi Sep 23, 20 1:07 pm

I'm based at LHR and trying to book with OFF50
economy flex and biz

Code working but after putting Aegean ff number and choosing seats I have message what promo code cannot be used so 220gbp
Mayby becouse of promo ?

still very good 18k Aegean miles for gold

:D! Sep 23, 20 1:24 pm

I guess this means there won't be any further tier extensions.

palcsaky Sep 23, 20 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Garimi (Post 32695661)
I'm based at LHR and trying to book with OFF50
economy flex and biz

Code working but after putting Aegean ff number and choosing seats I have message what promo code cannot be used so 220gbp
Mayby becouse of promo ?

Code won’t work unless Aegean sent it to your M&B linked email and invited you to use it.

Garimi Sep 23, 20 2:23 pm

still nice almost 18k (LHR-ATH-LHR 8968x2) Aegean miles for 217.31GBP for Golds..

if I want buy 18k miles I need spend 450 Euro (at Black Friday 225Euro) so do the math....

Yreal Sep 23, 20 5:30 pm

Still bummed i didnt get 50off...

But still, 500% milles voor c. Insane.

NWIFlyer Sep 24, 20 12:43 am

Originally Posted by palcsaky (Post 32695498)
There also appears to be an unadvertised sale going on. This morning LHR-ATH return in business cost £350, now £220!

This will be in response to a lowering of BA fares on the route a few days ago - A3 has matched within £1.

headingwest Sep 24, 20 1:32 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 32696903)
This will be in response to a lowering of BA fares on the route a few days ago - A3 has matched within £1.

With BA arguably offering the better service (and I never ever thought I'd say that!).

palcsaky Sep 24, 20 2:10 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 32696963)
With BA arguably offering the better service (and I never ever thought I'd say that!).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...10138f359.jpeg
The Do&Co mousse was divine

Cookoovaya Sep 24, 20 3:33 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 32696903)

Also, they operate a 787 with flat bed during October for less than £200.

NWIFlyer Sep 24, 20 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Cookoovaya (Post 32697082)
Also, they operate a 787 with flat bed during October for less than £200.

Although that may not be guaranteed - you could end up in Premium Economy, still though a considerable uplift on Euro Business Class.

For many, me included, this comes down to which alliance you want to re-qualify with. I'd have been through A3 requalification in May for a then November year end if I hadn't had flight cancellations. As it is I'm currently sitting on less than 500 miles for the year, whereas thanks to BA giving me a status extension I'm now under no pressure to fly with them (although I'm still doing so on short haul which makes sense because of the range of direct flights from the UK).

In spite of the likelihood of BA Gold getting me a flatbed, actually strategically it's better for me to take the A3 option in order to maintain status in two alliances, so in that sense Aegean is calling this right - the primary objective here is to encourage people to requalify and remain loyal to the FFP, whilst bringing some direct money into the airline as working capital.

I've got to imagine A3 is looking at the numbers and recognising that the 6 month extension really is of negligible use to most people given Covid will continue to decimate the industry for far longer than that. If I lost *G then I'd simply switch all my business to oneworld and burn my remaining miles. Even if relatively little of my *A spend is with A3, they still earn from me crediting to M+B, so none of that is good news for them.

Giving me a chance to requalify with an attractive offer is more compelling for me than some more lifetime BA Tier Points and a few thousand Avios. Depending on which way the UK government goes with self-isolation requirements from Greece then I'll likely grab something.

It's just a shame domestic flights to SKG are so expensive - I'd planned to grab a day return to get my four flights for the year, but the better value is actually in taking a second return LHR-ATH.

Cookoovaya Sep 24, 20 7:10 am

Totally agree - nothing is guaranteed.

It makes sense considering your circumstances.

It's a great way for Aegean to generate some money while also keeping their M&B members satisfied without giving a free extension.

Winter is already bad for airlines, a bit worse for A3 as their revenue is heavily tied with tourism during the summer season and considering the current circumstances I can only assume that dark (financial) days are coming.

I'm tempted to book myself, even the business class tickets for the trips that I have planned but rebooking those can get really expensive. It's worth considering that in case your circumstances change.

KLouis Sep 24, 20 7:48 am

After having cancelled all my flights this year, I'm scheduled to fly HER-CDG next week on A3 and then CDG-ZRH with AF (and back), trying this way to a) get a few more miles towards M+B gold requalification, in case I fly more often in the next few months, as well as b) extend the validity of my >400K miles with FB. Not having received any email re the new offers (I guess these are targetted to non-residents of Greece), I may well loose top-tier status with all alliances after more than 25 years. Indeed, one has to reconsider his/her priorities in life after retiring, (un)fortunately, the pandemic is helping me accept some realities. Tough luck, no more lounges! :)

palcsaky Sep 24, 20 8:47 am

A3 seem to have pulled the evening LHR flight on most of the days until the end of March 2021.

Question regarding business class tickets. Do I need to call to request a refund or can I do it online? And if I have to call, do they charge the €20 agent processing fee?

Xandrios Sep 24, 20 8:50 am

KLouis, slightly offtopic, but you may want to check the miles/status extension programmes currently in force for FB. As far as I know they have paused all miles-expiry processes at least until the end of the year. If you have any kind of status (Or FB Amex card) the miles shouldn't expire at all.

The A3 double tier miles offer would be interesting if one is trying to build status. Combined with the 50% discount you could get large amounts of status miles by flying business within Europe. If you already had status you likely are now in the extension-period, meaning that any status-miles earned are not counted towards re-qualification - so that is less useful. I don't believe that the 50%-off promo works for flights next year.

One additional usecase for this promotion could be to collect award miles. A ~100 euro business class flight will get you close to 8K award miles (especially having Gold with the 20% bonus on top). Having a 1 cent-per-mile valuation that means you basically get 80 euro back on that 100 euro ticket. Not quite worth a mileage run, but nevertheless a great way to fly business class for next to nothing. Very useful if you have to travel anyway.

Of course, be careful with collecting large amounts of awards miles (as always). Aegean can at any time reduce the value of those award miles by increasing prices for reward flights. And if A3 were to go out of business, your miles would be gone too.

Originally Posted by palcsaky (Post 32697485)
A3 seem to have pulled the evening LHR flight on most of the days until the end of March 2021.

Question regarding business class tickets. Do I need to call to request a refund or can I do it online? And if I have to call, do they charge the €20 agent processing fee?

You will have to call and they will charge the 20 euro service fee. Unfortunately that's always been the case :(

Cookoovaya Sep 24, 20 9:06 am

Got my 12:15 LHR November flight cancelled as well.

Yreal Sep 24, 20 9:27 am

Seems... sane?

I mean, who want to arrive at 4.00 in the morning in greece? Well, beside people requalifying...

Yreal Sep 24, 20 9:31 am

Ah, just got some emails of Ath-skg flights being shuffeld.

NWIFlyer Sep 24, 20 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Yreal (Post 32697573)
Seems... sane?

I mean, who want to arrive at 4.00 in the morning in greece? Well, beside people requalifying...

I’ve done it, and not primarily because of mileage running - typically the fares are more competitive, the UA lounge at LHR is usually empty meaning they almost literally try and pour champagne down your neck, and in terms of a connection through to SKG, and probably elsewhere, actually it works very well in terms of not losing a day of holiday.

ATH only - not so great given all you can get at that time of the morning is a bus!

So for these sort of offers where ATH is the destination, the early and mid afternoon flights are better, and strangely seem to offer the best J pricing.

headingwest Sep 24, 20 1:40 pm

I wish they had published some terms & conditions with this X2 Miles promotion.

Let's say you book within the window until 14th October. Then, due to COVID-19 restrictions, you have to rebook for a later date. Presumably you'd not get double miles because it would be re-ticketed after 14th October, or would the date the booking (PNR) was generated count? It's pretty vague!

In addition to that, you'd have to pay any fare difference. So, as I already have 4 Credit Vouchers and given the current uncertainty, I'm not so sure I want to throw more money their way. That said, this offer is very tempting!!

yurtripper Sep 24, 20 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 32698315)
I wish they had published some terms & conditions with this X2 Miles promotion.

Let's say you book within the window until 14th October. Then, due to COVID-19 restrictions, you have to rebook for a later date. Presumably you'd not get double miles because it would be re-ticketed after 14th October, or would the date the booking (PNR) was generated count? It's pretty vague!

In addition to that, you'd have to pay any fare difference. So, as I already have 4 Credit Vouchers and given the current uncertainty, I'm not so sure I want to throw more money their way. That said, this offer is very tempting!!

I came to here to post a question about whether a flight that’s rescheduled after the promo period will retain the double miles, then I saw the post by headingwest asking the same thing.

I agree that this is something I will need clarification on before making any bookings, given there’s a high chance of rebooking being needed.

Xandrios Sep 25, 20 2:10 am

With all other promotions lately the date of the issuance of the e-ticket counts, irrelevant if that was the original booking or a change later on. So it is plausible that if you rebook outside of the ticketing-window for this promotion, that you won't get the double points.

Having said that, theoretically it can also be based on the date of the booking rather than the ticket. From a technical perspective that's possible. Its just not the convention with the other promo's lately.

headingwest Sep 25, 20 2:21 am

That's the problem, nobody knows. That's why they should have published terms & conditions with the promotion!