FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Double tier and award miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2025604-double-tier-award-miles.html)

Bassprofessor Oct 22, 2020 1:11 am

I had to change a ticket (due to invol. changes) with an agent on the phone yesterday which was booked during the promotion period. The booking date now still says that it was booked during this period.
This could indicate that the promotion could be honored even if the ticket gets changed later.

Ogunsoto Oct 23, 2020 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Bassprofessor (Post 32764746)
I had to change a ticket (due to invol. changes) with an agent on the phone yesterday which was booked during the promotion period. The booking date now still says that it was booked during this period.
This could indicate that the promotion could be honored even if the ticket gets changed later.

Where is the booking date mentioned?

Bassprofessor Oct 23, 2020 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Ogunsoto (Post 32767481)
Where is the booking date mentioned?

When you rebook via phone, you get an electronic travel receipt in which the booking date is mentioned. The document attached was sent two days ago and the booking date still says 05Oct.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c108bd29db.png

Ogunsoto Oct 23, 2020 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Bassprofessor (Post 32767496)
When you rebook via phone, you get an electronic travel receipt in which the booking date is mentioned. The document attached was sent two days ago and the booking date still says 05Oct.

Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting - I had a look on previous occasions where I had to rebook and the date on the electronic ticket receipt is updated with the rebooking date.

boaz84 Oct 24, 2020 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Ogunsoto (Post 32767542)
Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting - I had a look on previous occasions where I had to rebook and the date on the electronic ticket receipt is updated with the rebooking date.

Did you rebook via the website in those occasions...? I can't be 100% sure, but I think that if they rebook it over the phone and it's a simple exchange with no ADC then they do
what's called a "sticker", meaning a re-validation of the same ticket. I too changed a ticket a couple of days ago with an agent over the phone, and when the agent sent me the confirmation
it also had the original booking date.
It's possible that if you change it via the website, even if it's a simple exchange with no ADC it reissues a new ticket number. If this is true it might be best practice to rebook over the phone
with an agent any tickets that were booked within this promo period.

Ogunsoto Oct 24, 2020 7:44 am

Originally Posted by boaz84 (Post 32769576)
Did you rebook via the website in those occasions...? I can't be 100% sure, but I think that if they rebook it over the phone and it's a simple exchange with no ADC then they do
what's called a "sticker", meaning a re-validation of the same ticket. I too changed a ticket a couple of days ago with an agent over the phone, and when the agent sent me the confirmation
it also had the original booking date.
It's possible that if you change it via the website, even if it's a simple exchange with no ADC it reissues a new ticket number. If this is true it might be best practice to rebook over the phone
with an agent any tickets that were booked within this promo period.

All of them were over the phone. It's seems that there is no consensus regarding the booking date.

Currently, I have 12 trips that I booked during the promo and a couple have already cancelled flights. I'll ring them at some point and see what is actually happening.

Resolution Oct 26, 2020 6:19 am

One experience of changing date ATH - LHR

Will be interesting how many different experiences there on this. Thought I’d share mine.

We rebooked a flight during the eligibility period (for the date monday 19th October). All good.

Unfortunately for us an air traffic control strike was announced for this date but only after the offer had closed on the 14th October. Aegean had no info about this this on their site and were still taking bookings for the date. I guess that they hoped the strike would be cancelled as has happened before. [Edit- the strike did go ahead after all covering Sunday 18th & Monday 19th October]

We didn’t want the uncertainty so decided to do an online change. Fully accepting that this may mean losing the double points bonus. That’s exactly what happened. We flew back on Saturday. Points have just posted to our accounts without the bonus.

Just to be clear am not complaining about this at all! Sharing so other have the info for their own planning.

giorginho Oct 26, 2020 6:43 pm

If I am reading this last post correctly, this booking was originally made before the promotional period and then changed within the promotional period, only to be changed again after the promotional period had ended. I think the likelihood of this ticket not getting 2x miles in this case was 100% (and correctly/justifiably so), but thanks for the input.
Btw my 2x miles posted within 24h of flying and it took my status around an additional 12 hours to change from blue to silver. The fun fact here is, that I almost got enough miles to requalify until October 2022 (this will likely only require one return flight with 1x miles in comfort flex). This will also probably be the closest I will ever get to reaching gold (currently 12 months to gather 13k miles), but since this generally isn't worth pursuing to me, I would probably only consider it if another 2x miles + 50OFF promotion turned up.

intuition Oct 27, 2020 1:44 am

Originally Posted by giorginho (Post 32775090)
If I am reading this last post correctly, this booking was originally made before the promotional period and then changed within the promotional period, only to be changed again after the promotional period had ended. I think the likelihood of this ticket not getting 2x miles in this case was 100% (and correctly/justifiably so),

How so?
If the campaign explicitly stated both new tickets and rebooked ticket was included in the promotion, why is the rebooked ticket to be treated differently?
A correct and justifiably way is that all tickets included in 2x promo is treated the same way. So a rebooking after promo-period should either let all tickets keep 2x or make them earn 1x.

As rebooking during promo period was enough to fulfil the terms for entering the promo, I agree that it is reasonable that later rebookings lead to promo getting voided. But there are several parameters at play here, and quirky airline systems, which makes it so interesting to see reports of what happened in many different cases.

giorginho Oct 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 32775535)
How so?
If the campaign explicitly stated both new tickets and rebooked ticket was included in the promotion, why is the rebooked ticket to be treated differently?

Because this particular rebooked ticket got rebooked again, outside of the promotional period and this rebooking wasn't even involuntary! The promo says "rebooked tickets get 2x", but of course only if they get used according to the rebooking that was made during this time (which is not the case here). So if we were to agree, that the conditions of the "original" booking date would/should count, then this was originally booked as 1x miles. If we were to agree that the rebooking date should count, then this was rebooked after the 2x, so again just 1x. Either way it's 1x, unless the customer makes a very far-fetched demand to get 2x miles, because "one of the re-bookings", which is no longer valid, was within the 2x period. The system itself will never grant this booking 2x automatically, that's what I said and I think it makes perfect sense. It would be crazy to have a dozen changes made to a booking and have some randomly selected "in-between" rebooking rule apply! It's either the first or the last.
I really don't understand the argument, since you already answered to yourself in the same post!

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 32775535)
... I agree that it is reasonable that later rebookings lead to promo getting voided.

...and this isn't even simply just a "later rebooking", like I already described above.

intuition Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Well, I read your post as if you were saying there is a difference if the original booking date is within the promo-period or not. To me there is not.

For this promo, a ticket with either original booking date within the promo period (let's call this ticket A) or a ticket with a rebooking within the promo period (ticket B) both are valid.
If ticket B is rebooked after the promo-period and it is self-evident that it leads to losing the promo, I claim that is is just as self-evident that ticket A would lose the promo, if rebooked after promo-period.

My opinion is that both A and B will lose the promo if they are rebooked now. But I also believe nothing is self evident, and therefore all posts reporting actual earnings are of interest.

The reason why I am bringing this up is that your post can be read as you are discouraging member Resolution to post, by disqualifying his/hers contribution. I, on the other hand, think it is a valuable contribution and that the community ought to embolden posters with very few posts.

powergean Oct 27, 2020 3:25 pm

Old story! Go back post 78-90. Was clear from beginning, that any changes after the promo date not giving double miles.

Resolution Oct 27, 2020 3:57 pm

. My opinion is that both A and B will lose the promo if they are rebooked now. But I also believe nothing is self evident, and therefore all posts reporting actual earnings are of interest.

The reason why I am bringing this up is that your post can be read as you are discouraging member Resolution to post, by disqualifying his/hers contribution. I, on the other hand, think it is a valuable contribution and that the community ought to embolden posters with very few posts.

Thanks intuition . I was very conscious that my post could prompt a discussion about reasonableness. That’s why I stressed the fact that I was not complaining in any way. My primary motivation was about sharing data/intelligence (whatever you want to call it) about my experience. It’s on topic and given the limited number of flying experiences due to Covid I thought it would be useful.

At the risk of triggering a separate debate! The tone of some responses Is not encouraging. Thankfully I have thickening skin but it should not come to that to be part of the forum.

giorginho Oct 27, 2020 4:59 pm

You did read my post correctly. While I am certain, that this case provided very little input (I didn't mean to discourage anyone from contributing any data inputs, I just don't think that this particular case made us any wiser, since this was certainly the expected outcome and anything different would have been a very big surprise), I do still maintain that anyone who booked (or even re-booked) within the 2x miles promotional period and gets rebooked involuntarily (due to strikes, flight cancelations etc.) should still be entitled to 2x miles.
I know what information was communicated by some Aegean representatives, but there have still not been any such cases actually reported (unless I missed one, which I don't think I did). Whether Aegean credits 2x miles automatically in such cases or the passenger has to file a claim, is also something we still need to wait to find out for sure (as well as how Aegean will handle such claims, should any be made).
I have some data input that isn't exactly relevant, but it gives you some idea. I had 2 flights that I rebooked back during the lockdown. Both were cheapo P class economy tickets. The first got re-issued in Y, after which I didn't change anything again until I flew and I got the miles for the re-issued fare class. The second got rebooked into Q or J (again, for some, J is an economy fare), but I later successfully placed an upgrade bid and flew in business class. For this ticket I didn't get the miles for the re-booked Q fare (even though I made this re-booking myself online) but for the originally booked P fare!
So to me that is one indication, that the miles crediting system will, according to the circumstances, either utilize the original booking, or the very last re-booking, but not any "in-between" re-bookings. This is the reason why I can imagine it being "easier" for a ticket booked for the first time within the promotional period to get the 2x miles, than any ticket booked before that and re-booked within the promotional period (if both were to be re-booked again later).

:D! Nov 2, 2020 1:34 pm

Well it looks like every time I try to go to Thessaloniki my plans get thwarted, now with England banning overseas trips and Greece banning travel in and out of that area.

The furthest I got was last year when I managed to take the airport bus into town and walk around for 15 minutes before I had to go back - as my inbound flight had been delayed by 4 hours.

Anyway I might not have received the double miles this time, as my original flight was cancelled.

Maybe fifth time lucky in March?? I would like A3 to run this promo again, or better still extend status for another 6 months as I am not sure we will get out of this mess by May.