Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powergean
was anything changed for you?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:57 am

No, the same like before.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Good old Ams-ath-bru down to 800 milles. bummer...
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yreal
Good old Ams-ath-bru down to 800 milles. bummer...
Yeah. If they are looking to get people to book flights, they aren't doing themselves any favours with these changes! Unless of course you've got lots of cash to burn for higher fares.

I had S GoLight fares for March next year, but now that they've cancelled a flight (and after looking at these new earnings), I don't fancy being rebooked. I've asked for a refund! My allegiance to Aegean is slowly slipping away...
romans likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It seems the screenshot posted above VIE to ATH contains some glitches.
The difference between Light and Flex is now cheaper however Flex does not include a checked bag. On HEL ATH it was 29 EUR difference, now it is just 19 EUR, but light to comfortflex is 51 EUR.
The lowest fare with a checked bag is now this new Comfort Flex, and the buy up is now higher than it used to be, 51 instead of 29 EUR.
giorginho likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Also some business class fares have increased, like ATH CDG in A and Z at least, around 25 EUR per direction.
giorginho likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:27 am

The last thing I expected today, when opening Aegean's website, was to see such huge changes...

I personally considered the last changes made in June to be more on the positive side than on the negative. Less miles for cheapo fares, less €€ difference for going from go light to flex.
I only book when I am certain that I will fly (and so far, prior to the pandemic, I've only ever had to change 1 trip and cancel another 1, both due to extraordinary cirmumstances). So I am primarily looking at these new changes from my perspective and it's not looking good.

The difference in price between the cheapest fare and the fare that includes a drop-off bag is now at its absolute highest ever! I actually thought that with such a difference in fare price (between go light and comfort flex) that Aegean would have also increased the prices they charge for drop-off bags, but to my surprise, they haven't (yet).

The "benefit" of changing flights within the same day is almost non-existent... Very few international destinations get multiple flights per day to begin with, and if these fares apply for domestic flights I think the price on pays up front for this "flexibility" is probably the same (if not higher) than buying 2 cheap tickets for both flights!

You can pick a seat "up front" with no charge... priority boarding (couldn't find this on the greek site and I wonder how they come up with something like this during the pandemic, when boarding is not handled based on the purchased fare edit: found it! https://el.aegeanair.com/organoste/p...economy-class/ and the #4 footnote covers the "warning" about current conditions /edit) ... whatever... fast track and dedicated check-in would have been much nicer perks!

Fare prices (for example in booking class A) have been increased! One could argue that the extra miles are worth it... I prefer to pay less up front than get back a similar (smaller) price difference much later in the form of miles.

Why didn't Aegean keep the Flex fare as it was and add some extra perks to the comfort flex if they absolutely wanted to have that new fare category? Why did they change the ENTIRE miles earning plan and fare categories/strategy again within just 3 months of the last major change?

But what really gets me (and I never until today even considered I would ever be writing this): The booking site (and with that, in part, the airline!) now resembles almost 100% the ones of LCC's (at least when selecting the "economy" tab).
3 different classes of economy on Aegean? One of the things I liked about Aegean was the fact that you didn't have to go over a thousand fare rules or tick a dozen different boxes until you actually got what you wanted included with your ticket...!

Having said all this... There's still room for their offer to get even worse (a look at Lufthansa's fares will suffice).

Edit: I also wonder why the newsletter I just received regarding the new fare categories has 0 information regarding the changes in the miles&bonus program... /edit
nikolask, romans and Anubis13 like this.

Last edited by giorginho; Sep 15, 2020 at 10:42 am
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Just saw this on Facebook on the Aegean Airlines page and scuttled here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but now Lite has to pay for seats AND can only have either one handbag OR a cabin bag? I always remembered it to be both a handbag and a cabin bag.

​Not very positive changes, especially for people with lots of luggage (which thankfully I don't have whilst on A3 flights).
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Also, does the regular Flex now lose the ability to check in a bag for free?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Also, does the regular Flex now lose the ability to check in a bag for free?
Yes, unless you have Gold status.

What's strikes me about all these changes over the last few months is that it's all starting to feel airberlin and its desperate attempts to get more cash with almost daily changes. And we all know what happened to them!
yurtripper likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:03 pm

I think, you are wrong. Aegean is a strong company, air berlin was lossmaking, also befor covid. Aegean is monopoly in Greece, Air berlin was one of tha last, low cost companys...
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Flying empty planes means they are burning their precious cash reserves at a pace which might be quite high. In my view they should start reducing the frequency of their flights more drastically. Changing the fare structure won't be of much assistance to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.