Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

50% off (excl. taxes/surcharges) with code (book by 25 Sep fly by 30 Nov) [Targeted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% off (excl. taxes/surcharges) with code (book by 25 Sep fly by 30 Nov) [Targeted]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Well I have never (prior to this "crisis") seen any A or Z fares on my routes in the last 7-8 years so you could be correct (with or without 40% the cheapest business class ticket from Germany to Athens has always been from 330€ upwards... Which is also why I was almost always flying on award tickets and never made any status )
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
There are still some very good A fares available to many destination, but some of them have doubled in cost from where things were in August.

I am hoping another promo code is enroute next week. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by giorginho
there is not a single P fare available (which is total BS, because there's no way those seats are already sold, they just blocked them until the promotion ends!) and the cheapest you can get is a U fare
Thats a good point. I hadn't seen that happening so obviously in the past. On my route I have always been able to use these 40% discount sales to actually get flights with an effective discount - but I do now recognize with your example that this may not always be the case on all routes. Sneaky!

The only tickets these promotions actually affect are the more expensive ones
Yes agreed, and with the more expensive Flex fares a larger portion of the price is actually the fare component - meaning you will save more on these types. In the past business was also included (That's when we had those 99-euro one-way business class flights on the longer routes) but obviously this time its not.

At the beginning of the pandemic I quickly learned that upgraded economy flights were not the easiest in terms of flexibility. Even if you had booked a Flex fare you are still stuck with the 20 euro callcenter fee, plus they make you buy up to the next fare that has a higher overall cost than the current fare. Its despicable how they handle those rebookings in my opinion. They are using every dirty trick in the book to squeeze out a few more cents at this time. Unfortunately, I might add.

They recently canceled one of my economy-upgraded flights after I had already rebooked it to November when the original flight was canceled in April. It was DUS-KLX that I originally booked for 130 euro in Flex almost a year ago. The same flight, early next year, is at 80 euro or so in Flex. So I'd effectively overpay by 50 euro if I rebook to another date. Asking for a monetary refund would make me effectively lose the used upgrade voucher, and may take ages. Getting a voucher instead of a refund would be faster, but I'd still lose the upgrade coupon and I may not be able to use future promo's like the '50% off' coupon - as those cannot be combined with vouchers for payment.

Guess I'll just leave it until they do have a discount promo that I could benefit from (without xxOFF code) and then request the voucher..
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I agree with giorginho that this recent promo on Y is same old, same old, and nothing like as interesting as the targeted offer of 50% on all fares - which I was passed over for
Arrivals likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:20 am
Original Poster

This could potentially 'deserve' a new topic, but since I still maintain that Aegean simply blocks the cheapest fares when it comes to such "offers and promotions" I am posting it here.
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/offers...omestic-offer/
Book until October 13th, fly between November 10th and March 27th in Aegean's (well, "Olympic's") domestic network and get "50%" discount on all economy fares.

Again, the cheapest fares (for example between SKG/ATH) seem to have vanished (I didn't search much, but the lowest I can find is "T"), but perhaps the one thing that could make this promotion actually worth considering is that now ALL economy fares (even the new, "butchered" LIGHT fare) come with unlimited rebookings free of rebooking fees!
Of course the latter is kind of a "smart" move, because if you book a fare now that's -in theory- discounted by 50% and try to rebook later, when no such promotion exists, you will end up paying a fare difference, which will be a minimum of 14 Euros for the T Light fare on the SKG/ATH route and will be going up for other fares. Perhaps for those that don't care about the "flexibility", but rather about some other perks that come with the new comfort flex fare category, it is worth noting that the price difference between this and the light category is probably at its lowest possible (just 14 Euros for the SKG/ATH route, which is the least that just a 23kg bag would cost back in the day...). And of course the promotion is within the timeframe of the 2x miles promo, which means that a 46 Euro SKG/ATH ticket in S comfort flex class will also grant you 1800 status miles (which is probably not the best miles deal, but still...)!
Spoiler

Last edited by giorginho; Oct 7, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Well said. The cheapest fares (P, U, T) have been removed. Moreover the offer only applies to economy fares.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: A3 *G
The way I see it - it doesn't matter if the cheaper fares are no longer available. With the new earning structure there's quite a jump between the fare classes and fare types so the offers are a way to 'book-up' to a higher class for almost the same fare, thus getting more miles for not a lot extra. For example, I was just about to book a one-way domestic with connection in Athens when this current 50% discount for domestic flights was announced. My previous fare was 73 Euro in P class Light earning 200+200=400 miles. Now I'm paying 79 Euro in K class ComfortFlex for 900+900=1800 miles. That's 1400 extra miles for 6 Euro! And I'm doing something similar on the return so, with the current double-miles promotion, that's 7200 tier miles and 8640 award miles - more than three quarters of the way to requalifying, for 150 Euro!
yurtripper and romans like this.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Oct 9, 2020 at 12:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.