FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Earning rates on TAP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2024454-earning-rates-tap.html)

bellerophontes Sep 3, 2020 10:32 am

Earning rates on TAP

If someone has experience with this, do TAP fare earning rates as published on A3's list correspond to what is credited eventually? I'm interested in buying a transatlantic A fare ticket (APTDSI0C), which refers to TAP's Economy Discount class.

Should I expect to get 50% of the miles flown? Or is it calculated differently as in e.g. AC fares?

Yreal Sep 4, 2020 1:41 am

Tap earnings are a crapshot. Tap doesn't use fare buckets, so no-one knows what their fares will turn out to be on a3.

on deep discounted economy, expect nothing.

johnirvine Sep 4, 2020 9:38 am

A class fares on TAP earn 50% mileage with M&B. You can easily check the earning rates of all fares on all airlines with all FFP programs on the website wheretocredit.com.

Xandrios Sep 4, 2020 10:26 am

The problem is that TAP is known for crediting flights to partner programs with different fare codes than the ones booked. It's pretty much impossible to say, unless you are able to find - with a lot of luck/chance - somebody who has recently flown exactly the same route with the same fare.

bellerophontes Sep 4, 2020 1:50 pm

Do you know what's the minimum percentage of miles that will be credited? According to their website, on TAP's program the specific fares credit 10% of the miles, but I guess it's either 50% or nothing on M+B?

NextWhiteDeath Sep 4, 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bellerophontes (Post 32652685)
Do you know what's the minimum percentage of miles that will be credited? According to their website, on TAP's program the specific fares credit 10% of the miles, but I guess it's either 50% or nothing on M+B?

The 10% they quote you is for there own program. TAP has a history of saying one fare bucket and crediting a different one. It is basically the problem of code shares crediting weirdly but self-inclosed in a single airline. It is just weird.

Swanhunter Sep 8, 2020 1:23 am

In my experience TAP has credited as per the fare code at time of purchase (validated by cross referencing the fare with ITA Matrix) and the earnings shown on the M&B table. Sounds like I have been fortunate!

presto.dd Jul 27, 2022 5:45 am

I just bought a TAP ticket from Lisbon to Berlin.
After doing some homework here, I am surprised TAP could credit miles to other star airline programs with a fare class different from the original one on the bought ticket.
Did anyone recently fly TAP with the fare class L in discount fare and credit miles to his/her M&B account?
How much miles did you get? By TAP L class, one can earn 50% of flown miles in M&B. Please share your experience. :)

fifty_two Jul 27, 2022 7:31 am

Originally Posted by presto.dd (Post 34462314)
I just bought a TAP ticket from Lisbon to Berlin.
After doing some homework here, I am surprised TAP could credit miles to other star airline programs with a fare class different from the original one on the bought ticket.
Did anyone recently fly TAP with the fare class L in discount fare and credit miles to his/her M&B account?
How much miles did you get? By TAP L class, one can earn 50% of flown miles in M&B. Please share your experience. :)

Hi

you need to check not the fare class printed on the ticket but the one in fare details (check your TAP booking fares information)

If the letter does match , check the A3 M+B calculator to see if mileage is more or less the same

If letter doesnt match then M&B did a mistake when crediting the flight

Xandrios Jul 27, 2022 10:44 am

Also the fare family counts. I believe that the cheapest TAP fare families (The heavy discounted ones) earn 0% irrelevant of the actual fare code/class.

presto.dd Jul 27, 2022 1:52 pm

Thanks for all your replies. :)

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34463132)
Also the fare family counts. I believe that the cheapest TAP fare families (The heavy discounted ones) earn 0% irrelevant of the actual fare code/class.

Yes, I bought a ticket in the cheapest fare without checked bags. I will report how much miles are really credited into my M&B account after flying in October.

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 34462537)
Hi

you need to check not the fare class printed on the ticket but the one in fare details (check your TAP booking fares information)

If the letter does match , check the A3 M+B calculator to see if mileage is more or less the same

If letter doesnt match then M&B did a mistake when crediting the flight

After I booked a TAP ticket directly from the TAP official website, TAP also simultaneously emailed me the amadeus itinerary receipt of this ticket.
So I know the fare basis code of my ticket is L15DSC0A, showing the fare class L in discount fare (DSC).

fifty_two Jul 27, 2022 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by presto.dd (Post 34463681)
after flying in October..

So how can you make such statement if you havent flown yet ? = "TAP could credit miles to other star airline programs with a fare class different from the original one on the bought ticket "

Originally Posted by presto.dd (Post 34463681)
So I know the fare basis code of my ticket is L15DSC0A, showing the fare class L in discount fare (DSC).

Ok , so its Economy Discounted , then L means 50% according to charts , so around 700 miles one way or 1.4k miles for return trip

jerry_greece Jul 27, 2022 4:53 pm

From my experience, TAP does a different matching of fare classes, despite what they show in booking.

the “discount” Y fares I booked in the past, despite showing K or L, were in the end mapped to A class which in M&B credits to 0.

irishguy28 Jul 28, 2022 10:09 am

14 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 34464073)
So how can you make such statement if you havent flown yet ? = "TAP could credit miles to other star airline programs with a fare class different from the original one on the bought ticket "

Many of us have learned this from bitter experience and posted it here to warn others. TAP is an exception to the normal rule (Air Canada is another) that the first letter in the fare basis is the thing that matters and the only thing that determines what the earning rate will be. The OP has been told (and, it appears, now understands) in this thread (and there are others) that you never know what you might get in any other *A programme....but you definitely do NOT give any weight to the first letter of TAP's fare code.

You cannot rely on the leading letter of the fare basis as reported by TAP to determine the earning in Aegean's Miles+Bonus; this "leading letter" as shown by TAP is meaningless and is not used by TAP to indicate the type of ticket. As such, a completely different fare basis will, in the background, be reported to Aegean. You have no way of knowing in advance what it might "map" to in Aegean's table. The only "clue" is the fare family you select (Discount/Basic/Classic/Plus), with no chance at all of mileage for Discount, and an increasing chance that you might get something as you opt for each higher fare family.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-...class-tap.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aege...nings-cut.html (also mentions TAP quite a lot)

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 34464073)
Ok , so its Economy Discounted , then L means 50% according to charts , so around 700 miles one way or 1.4k miles for return trip

While that would be the correct analysis for most other airlines, this is not how it works with TAP.

The leading "L" in "L15DSC0A" is meaningless. The only important part of this fare basis is the DSC for "Discount". (The other options are: BSC for Basic, CLC for Classic, PLU for Plus)

In TAP's own program, it is the fare family that matters for earning.

And Discount fares earn nothing, whether short/medium haul, or intercontinental, in TAP's own programme.

When this flight is reported to Aegean, it won't be reported as "Lxxxx", meaning interpreted as an L class fare earning 50% as indicated in the table. Somewhere along the way, it gets transposed. And I'm 99.99% certain that it will be reported to A3 as one of the classes I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F - i.e. it will appear to A3 as one of the listed non-earning classes.

Now, as it's the first time you appear to have encountered this chicanery, you are likely thinking that this can't be correct, and that we are all either seriously misled, or trying to pull a fast one on you. And yes, indeed, it is rather shocking that this scenario has gone on for so long (see how ancient some of the threads posted above are) such that the uninitiated flyer thinks - like you did - that an L class purchased as "Discount" from TAP will earn a hefty 50% on Aegean. And it is shocking that Aegean doesn't instead adopt a fare earning table that (like TAP) is based on the fare family (Discount/Basic/Classic/Plus) such that one can see accurately what the earning will be.

The truth is, we do not know how these TAP fare bases are transposed into the fare letters of the A3 table. However, you can pretty much assume that, if you buy a Plus or Classic fare, you should earn 100% or 50% (regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). If you buy a Basic fare, then you probably will earn nothing (again, regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). And if you buy a Discount fare, then you were not going to earn anything from TAP, so there clearly is no chance of A3 giving you anything for a Discount fare (even if, as in the illustrated example, it has been given a meaningless "L" at the start of the fare basis code).

TAP's earning chart for TAP flights (first image below) : https://www.flytap.com/en-nl/miles-a...n-miles/flying
A3's earning chart for TAP flights (second image below): https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../airlines/tap/

fifty_two Jul 28, 2022 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34466077)
Many of us have learned this from bitter experience and posted it here to warn others. TAP is an exception to the normal rule

Oh , wasnt aware of it , i am a newbie regarding TAP and M&G

(Air Canada is another)

Can you give a small summary/introduction ? i will dig deeper later during winter by myself cause i might fly with AC in 2023

that the first letter in the fare basis is the thing that matters and the only thing that determines what the earning rate will be. The OP has been told (and, it appears, now understands) in this thread (and there are others) that you never know what you might get in any other *A programme....but you definitely do NOT give any weight to the first letter of TAP's fare code.

A bit like what AF does since new FB version where they introduced XP , booking code is meaningless , only booking class (eco,prem,biz) is important

will check it during my homework

While that would be the correct analysis for most other airlines, this is not how it works with TAP . The leading "L" in "L15DSC0A" is meaningless. The only important part of this fare basis is the DSC for "Discount". (The other options are: BSC for Basic, CLC for Classic, PLU for Plus) . In TAP's own program, it is the fare family that matters for earning.And Discount fares earn nothing, whether short/medium haul, or intercontinental, in TAP's own programme.

This part i got it , thats why i avoid this type of fares and dont book TAP from OTAs

When this flight is reported to Aegean, it won't be reported as "Lxxxx", meaning interpreted as an L class fare earning 50% as indicated in the table. Somewhere along the way, it gets transposed. And I'm 99.99% certain that it will be reported to A3 as one of the classes I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F - i.e. it will appear to A3 as one of the listed non-earning classes.

Similar issue happened to many skyteam FFP members flying OK

Now, as it's the first time you appear to have encountered this chicanery, you are likely thinking that this can't be correct, and that we are all either seriously misled, or trying to pull a fast one on you. And yes, indeed, it is rather shocking that this scenario has gone on for so long (see how ancient some of the threads posted above are) such that the uninitiated flyer thinks - like you did - that an L class purchased as "Discount" from TAP will earn a hefty 50% on Aegean. And it is shocking that Aegean doesn't instead adopt a fare earning table that (like TAP) is based on the fare family (Discount/Basic/Classic/Plus) such that one can see accurately what the earning will be.

As i couldnt get his statement , this is why i asked what is going on cause i assumed i missed a part of the story . I also used A3 to collect miles from star alliance and never had such issue , so i needed more details

The truth is, we do not know how these TAP fare bases are transposed into the fare letters of the A3 table. However, you can pretty much assume that, if you buy a Plus or Classic fare, you should earn 100% or 50% (regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). If you buy a Basic fare, then you probably will earn nothing (again, regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). And if you buy a Discount fare, then you were not going to earn anything from TAP, so there clearly is no chance of A3 giving you anything for a Discount fare (even if, as in the illustrated example, it has been given a meaningless "L" at the start of the fare basis code).

Ok so this apply in case a pax would buy tickets from TAP , so to avoid such trouble if a codeshare is availabe its better to buy through another star alliance airline who can put their code on this flight and display clear rules .... or if no codeshare/fairprice available then simple fly U2/W6/FR

TAP's earning chart for TAP flights (first image below) : https://www.flytap.com/en-nl/miles-a...n-miles/flying
A3's earning chart for TAP flights (second image below): https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../airlines/tap/

Those i know , however i wasnt aware of this TAP mess , thanks god i collect now in M&G , so i am less impacted , but its good to know it

In the end big thanks for sharing knowledge about this topic