Earning rates on TAP

Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I can tell you for sure that L class Discount on TAP will give you a big fat zero on A3.

As a general rule for TAP, I have found that the ticketed class will only credit to A3 corresponding to the mileage chart if purchased in Classic or higher. And even then, not always. It’s so convoluted that I avoid TAP because of it.

Crediting to A3 has never been easy. Take the LH Group business class fares, for example. Booking in P class, these can be quite expensive, but credit zero to A3. It’s really weird that in many cases a $500 eco fare will credit way more than a $1000 biz fare.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Take the LH Group business class fares, for example. Booking in P class, these can be quite expensive, but credit zero to A3. It’s really weird that in many cases a $500 eco fare will credit way more than a $1000 biz fare.
LH P is notorious.

It's not only A3 Miles+Bonus that gives nothing for P; neither does Asiana Club, Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles, EVA Airways Inifinity MileageLands {surely the best FFP name ever!}, South African Airways Voyager, TAP Portugal Miles & Go, or Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles.

Brussels Airlines P is even worse - all of those programmes, and a couple of others, give a big fat 0%.

Luckily, though, the situation is better for OS P (all those mentioned above, except Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles, grant 100% miles) and LX P (ALL of those mentioned above grant 100% miles).

I no longer fly TAP in Economy...only in "Executive". I've never had a Business fare that didn't post to M+B (and at 200%, which is more than they would earn in TAP's program). The last TAP ticket I flew, earlier this year to Faro, was actually cheaper in Business than in Economy on the flights I selected.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
LH P is notorious.

It's not only A3 Miles+Bonus that gives nothing for P; neither does Asiana Club, Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles, EVA Airways Inifinity MileageLands {surely the best FFP name ever!}, South African Airways Voyager, TAP Portugal Miles & Go, or Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles.
I'm interested to know why EVA Airways has such a good FFP? Why is it so special?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:14 pm

I assume business class fare will earn 200% regardless of booking class, right?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm interested to know why EVA Airways has such a good FFP? Why is it so special?
you've missed a word!
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird006
Yes; TAP "Executive" and "Top Executive" earn 200% in Aegean M+B
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
you've missed a word!
Ah yes! Sorry, not sure how I missed that
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That's the sweet spot with TAP, TATL business class fares for $1-1.6k from either side of the Atlantic. Cheap, credit generously, and free stopovers or day-long layovers in Portugal, if desired.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:55 am

Any of you have experience how it is with Miles & More instead of the A3 program? Same weirdness of TAP crediting?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Any of you have experience how it is with Miles & More instead of the A3 program? Same weirdness of TAP crediting?
kind of because according to table: https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e..._basic_01.html

flew LIS-FNC, I should have received fixed 125miles but got 250miles instead of - lowest class O discount, and only 125 miles for the same booking class code VIE-LIS
P class is not even there/added/updated so 0 miles for bid upgrades
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by speedbird006
Recently I upgraded to exec/business on TAP with 2 flights on a RT ticket. While the booking class was C on my boarding pass, on my M&B account with A3, I had both flights as P, with paultry 490 TPs earned for each flight..No 200% -as expected with booking class C.

This summer I have 2 exec/ bus class tickets (RT) LIS-MAN. After paying full price I certainly hope that I get the 200% TPs on my A3 M&B. But who knows with TAP's shenanigans! 🙄

I think the best thing to do with my M&B account is to fly the 4 needed sectors with A3 using bus class to maximize TPs, and after flying TAP in cheapest economy (but using *G benefits as I am allowed to) just buy the extra TPs with A3. Less hassles that way. Same when flying AC in Canada.
EDIT:
TAP replied, stating that within their T&C I would only get the TPs and miles from my original booking class. So, from now on I will not upgrade TAP flights - even when their glitzy adverts say I will get additional miles and TPs. Enough deceit. TAP's loss not mine as my Euros will be spent elsewhere as I maintain *G benefits with A3 - and using the benefits (like extra luggage, etc) while flying with TAP.

Last edited by tmac100; Apr 8, 2024 at 3:56 pm
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmac100
This summer I have 2 exec/ bus class tickets (RT) LIS-MAN. After paying full price I certainly hope that I get the 200% TPs on my A3 M&B. But who knows with TAP's shenanigans! 🙄
There is no issue with business class tickets on TP. Every TAP Executive ticket I have ever flown has always been reported as either J or Z to A3, and earns at 200%.

It's Economy you have to watch out for.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold

I think the best thing to do with my M&B account is to fly the 4 needed sectors with A3 using bus class to maximize TPs, and after flying TAP in cheapest economy (but using *G benefits as I am allowed to) just buy the extra TPs with A3. Less hassles that way. Same when flying AC in Canada..
Glad you finally came to this conclusion

TAP replied, stating that within their T&C I would only get the TPs and miles from my original booking class. .
While there might be exceptions and glitches , such policy is the "norm" in this industry

So, from now on I will not upgrade TAP flights - even when their glitzy adverts say I will get additional miles and TPs..
This probably only apply to miles and go members

Enough deceit. TAP's loss not mine as my Euros will be spent elsewhere as I maintain *G benefits with A3 - and using the benefits (like extra luggage, etc) while flying with TAP .
Thats essentially what you should do with most star alliance airlines

Focus on A3 and the few generous and non sneaky airlines left for status miles then grab peanuts with the rest of them
tmac100 and ermis177 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
There is no issue with business class tickets on TP. Every TAP Executive ticket I have ever flown has always been reported as either J or Z to A3, and earns at 200%.

It's Economy you have to watch out for.
I totally agree with this - based on my experinces with spending good money on TAP upgrades giving almost nada miles and TPs on M&B. Now I try to fly TAP in cheapest Economy while availing myself on those flights with whatever *G benefits I can - like the check - in bag and lounge access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.