FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Business class on Dub ATH Dub.? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2022875-business-class-dub-ath-dub.html)

Earthman Aug 5, 2020 11:56 am

Business class on Dub ATH Dub.?

Hi folks, could someone confirm that business class is available on this route and what to expect?
The website is selling it at very good prices and in a dummy booking, a seat plan is showing a separate cabin at the front with 4 seats available in an abc def configuration with the middle seat blocked

However, a search of this forum, brings up mention of Dub ATH Dub being an all economy service

Thank you

irishguy28 Aug 5, 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 32583676)
Hi folks, could someone confirm that business class is available on this route and what to expect?
The website is selling it at very good prices and in a dummy booking, a seat plan is showing a separate cabin at the front with 4 seats available in an abc def configuration with the middle seat blocked

It's standard euro-business - so NOT a separate cabin, but just the first few rows with the middle seat kept free.

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 32583676)

However, a search of this forum, brings up mention of Dub ATH Dub being an all economy service

Thank you

It had business when launched, then went to all economy for a while. I guess they have now offered business again.

Are you familiar with Aegean? They're a good little airline, but just as long as you realise that business is, like with most European airlines, predominantly a "soft" product (more miles awarded, higher fare charged, better food served) then go for it.

Xandrios Aug 5, 2020 12:46 pm

And one addition is that at this time, due to covid, the food and drinkservice is heavily restricted. To the point that it's pretty much Economy meal/drink only.

hermes1 Aug 5, 2020 5:36 pm

Manchester is also coming up with Business Class. That's new!

Knobbgb Aug 5, 2020 11:21 pm

I guess with the current low load factors they are chancing their arm to fill one or two extra seats at a higher price. I can understand why they don't normally offer C class on these routes. In (a normal) summer they are pretty much sold out - and at quite high fares, particularly MAN but the other "leisure-only" routes too. I have friends who have paid over 400 Euro for the last Y class seats on MAN-ATH. When I did ATH-DUB in C there were two rows (8 seats or 12 economy seats wasted) - Y was pretty much full and I was the only one in C - and I was on a voucher upgrade!

They are also offering C class on EDI and TLL (just two I looked at because I have flown them) which were always economy only and, as per another thread, they're even offering business class on some of their Olympic-operated Dash8 services - and in some cases it's cheaper than even GoLight economy!

Alexandros Bravos Aug 5, 2020 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 32584924)
I guess with the current low load factors they are chancing their arm to fill one or two extra seats at a higher price. I can understand why they don't normally offer C class on these routes. In (a normal) summer they are pretty much sold out - and at quite high fares, particularly MAN but the other "leisure-only" routes too. I have friends who have paid over 400 Euro for the last Y class seats on MAN-ATH. When I did ATH-DUB in C there were two rows (8 seats or 12 economy seats wasted) - Y was pretty much full and I was the only one in C - and I was on a voucher upgrade!

They are also offering C class on EDI and TLL (just two I looked at because I have flown them) which were always economy only and, as per another thread, they're even offering business class on some of their Olympic-operated Dash8 services - and in some cases it's cheaper than even GoLight economy!

Since earlier in the summer they have increased the domestic destinations where they offer business class by adding Myconos (JMK), Santorini (JTR), Lesvos (MJT), Kos (KGS) and Alexandroupolis (AXD). The first two destinations offer business class also when flights are operated by Dash Q-400s.

romans Aug 6, 2020 12:10 am

have booked this route ATH-DUB-ATH for Sept for needed mileage run (the price for all = 219€, for 2 business class tickets = crazy). I don't expect anything special but good flights :)

Earthman Aug 6, 2020 1:15 am

Originally Posted by romans (Post 32584972)
have booked this route ATH-DUB-ATH for Sept for needed mileage run (the price for all = 219€, for 2 business class tickets = crazy). I don't expect anything special but good flights :)

Yeah that's the price I'm looking at, as low as €208
By contrast, the cheapest other is Lufty via muc or fra for circa 300 to 400 euros
BA is north of 700 via lhr
I'd rather not fly FR during Covid, though buying an extra middle seat there is possible
I presume some alcohol will be available on board up front even with the slimmed down service?
Anyone know if the DAA Dub lounge in T1 is open and how is it coping?
Thanks again, this is helpful

romans Aug 6, 2020 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 32585046)
Yeah that's the price I'm looking at, as low as €208
By contrast, the cheapest other is Lufty via muc or fra for circa 300 to 400 euros
BA is north of 700 via lhr
I'd rather not fly FR during Covid, though buying an extra middle seat there is possible
I presume some alcohol will be available on board up front even with the slimmed down service?

208€ - for both together? that's so good price:) Alcohol should be present.

irishguy28 Aug 6, 2020 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 32584924)
I have friends who have paid over 400 Euro for the last Y class seats on MAN-ATH. When I did ATH-DUB in C there were two rows (8 seats or 12 economy seats wasted) - Y was pretty much full and I was the only one in C - and I was on a voucher upgrade!

Does this mean that A3 doesn't "move the curtain" and reduce the size of the business cabin (in the context of routes where it appears A3 struggles to sell J) as most other European airlines do?

Does A3 stick rigidly to a 2-row or 3-row business cabin on its routes? (Are there routes where they have a bigger business cabin?)

I don't travel frequently enough on A3 to know this, but reading between the lines here, it seems that they don't, which is strange!

irishguy28 Aug 6, 2020 2:03 am

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 32585046)

According to the website, closed for the next 2 months. Note that all dates are subject to change.

https://www.dublinairport.com/enhanc.../lounges/t1-t2
https://www.dublinairport.com/enhanc...y/lounges/faqs

headingwest Aug 6, 2020 2:13 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 32585100)
Does this mean that A3 doesn't "move the curtain" and reduce the size of the business cabin (in the context of routes where it appears A3 struggles to sell J) as most other European airlines do?

Does A3 stick rigidly to a 2-row or 3-row business cabin on its routes? (Are there routes where they have a bigger business cabin?)

I don't travel frequently enough on A3 to know this, but reading between the lines here, it seems that they don't, which is strange!

I think this answers your question. A3 certainly does move the curtain depending on demand.

ATH-LHR
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...708ff1af81.png

romans Aug 6, 2020 2:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 32585100)

from my experiences I will tell you tomorrow (BUD-ATH) atm 5 rows of BIZ, but my DUB-ATH or ATH-DUB (not sure now) it was moved from 5 rows to 2 even for the flight in Sept.

Xandrios Aug 6, 2020 2:20 am

They serve alcohol but not the nice wines they used to.

Regarding the cabin size, they definitely change that depending on demand - but when they can they do seem to leave some extra space/rows in business, even though it may not strictly be needed.

Dover2Golf Aug 6, 2020 6:40 am

I've been on A3 with one row of business class and at other times particularly on LHR-ATH when there is a lot more i.e. 10+ rows but I don't count them.