Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Outbound flight cancelled - will the inbound remain intact?

Old Jun 30, 20, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi there.. bit of a newbie with Aegean.. just had a flight cancelled on 15th July and the email said 'segment' cancelled. does this mean that I can still use the inbound (this goes against all my understanding of ticketing) .... can't get through to Aegean to speak with them and unlikely to be able to use a voucher. I'd rather rebook the outbound on another carrier and use the inbound still if I can - whilst getting a refund on the outbound .. Any thoughts / info much appreciated...

Also, any tips of best time of day to call Aegean?

Many thanks
CF
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by CaroFos View Post
Hi there.. bit of a newbie with Aegean.. just had a flight cancelled on 15th July and the email said 'segment' cancelled. does this mean that I can still use the inbound (this goes against all my understanding of ticketing) .... can't get through to Aegean to speak with them and unlikely to be able to use a voucher. I'd rather rebook the outbound on another carrier and use the inbound still if I can - whilst getting a refund on the outbound .. Any thoughts / info much appreciated...

Also, any tips of best time of day to call Aegean?

Many thanks
CF
Well I'm not an expert on these matters but I'd say that you won't be able to fly the inbound segment because the cancellation has made the ticket invalid. Under normal circumstances (i.e. non-COVID times) you would be able to ask Aegean if for the cancelled segment they can rebook you onto another carrier. I believe that EC261/2004 helps you in that respect. They could say that it's not possible, but I think if you insist they would have to do it if they can't get you to your destination within 24 hours on one of their flights.

A refund will not be possible at this time because they (Aegean or the Greek government) have stitched customers up. A voucher would be the only other option unfortunately.
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Well I'm not an expert on these matters but I'd say that you won't be able to fly the inbound segment because the cancellation has made the ticket invalid. Under normal circumstances (i.e. non-COVID times) you would be able to ask Aegean if for the cancelled segment they can rebook you onto another carrier. I believe that EC261/2004 helps you in that respect. They could say that it's not possible, but I think if you insist they would have to do it if they can't get you to your destination within 24 hours on one of their flights.

A refund will not be possible at this time because they (Aegean or the Greek government) have stitched customers up. A voucher would be the only other option unfortunately.
THank you very much ... that's pretty much what I thought but the wording was misleading ! appreciate your thoughts..
BW CF
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
If you don't have status (so therefore won't be able to use the 24/7 Gold line), I would suggest phoning in the evening or early morning. Alternatively you could try sending a DM on Twitter, they are extremely helpful there and will be able to make matters a little clearer. Good luck!
CaroFos likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Many thanks Headingwest!.

Last edited by CaroFos; Jul 1, 20 at 2:13 am Reason: realised both replies were from same person so changed to singular thanks!
Old Jul 1, 20, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by CaroFos View Post
Any thoughts / info much appreciated...
You should first check if Aegean will rebook you onto this other carrier (without knowing the route/carriers in question, we cannot indicate how likely this is to happen, but depending on the airline(s) that would be required to accomplish this, it could rate anywhere from likely to impossible).

You should also check how much it would cost you to buy a new return ticket; this is likely to work out far cheaper than turning your existing ticket into a one-way, and buying another one-way separately.

Only once you have ruled out these options would I proceed in the manner you suggest.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:25 pm

Just had the same problem for a connecting flight and called the hotline. Ticket would not have been valid anymore. My problem was that flights from NUE-ATH are fully cancelled this summer. So they rebooked me on a flight from MUC. I could choose any Aegean flight I wanted even on different dates. Lufthansa flights they refused in the first step but it even was not my aim to fly LH.
CaroFos likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: