FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   *A Gold on Aegean (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2020082-gold-aegean.html)

AHC96 Jun 20, 2020 9:18 am

*A Gold on Aegean

Thinking of booking LHR-ATH on Aegean for November, but I'm curious about *A Gold benefits on Aegean. The website doesn't say much, mostly about Miles&Bonus Gold stuff.

Is there free seat selection? Free bag on cheapest economy ticket? Gold Track in LHR/ATH?

KLouis Jun 20, 2020 9:03 pm

Now, I really don't understand what "*A Gold benefits on Aegean" as opposed to "Miles&Bonus Gold stuff". At any rate, when you say "The website", did you check this? Finally, as to your specific questions, the answers are yes for free Gold track and free bag, and a qualified yes for the seat selection: some of the seats that you can select for free (up-front and more legroom) do cost money. ;)

garykung Jun 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by AHC96 (Post 32471578)
The website doesn't say much, mostly about Miles&Bonus Gold stuff.

If not specifically mentioned, then the standard *G benefit applies.

Is there free seat selection?

Assume no.

Free bag on cheapest economy ticket?

Assume no. But you should not be charged.

Gold Track in LHR/ATH?

Yes if available.

KLouis Jun 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32472940)
Assume no. But you should not be charged.

This is a wrong answer concerning the free bag! I copy/pasted the following from their site and I can guarantee that I personally always got that:

Special baggage allowance
When you travel on any Aegean or Olympic Air flight, you are entitled to one (1) extra piece of baggage, free of charge, within the maximum allowed weight limit as per your ticket's booking class.
It is clarified that the member is entitled to the benefit, provided that the Miles+Bonus member ID is included in the booking.

garykung Jun 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 32472949)
This is a wrong answer concerning the free bag! I copy/pasted the following from their site and I can guarantee that I personally always got that:

It is not wrong, but your tunnel vision syndrome has made it wrong.

OP stated, supported by your quote, that no information was available for non-A3 *G. The assumptions stated is for the worst case scenario. Hence, "assume". I did mention that OP should not be charged. That's where you fail to see.

Xandrios Jun 21, 2020 2:12 am

The point is that the OP is not M+B member - and the rules for M+B members vs 'other program' Gold members are not the same. Hence the OP's question.

yauee Jun 21, 2020 10:13 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32472985)
It is not wrong, but your tunnel vision syndrome has made it wrong.

OP stated, supported by your quote, that no information was available for non-A3 *G. The assumptions stated is for the worst case scenario. Hence, "assume". I did mention that OP should not be charged. That's where you fail to see.

IIRC CHEAPEST ticket no luggage, even A3 Gold also Zero. but when ticket with 1 luggage , we can have 1 + 1. It seem like 0+0, 1+1, 2+1, 3+1

djjaguar64 Jun 23, 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by yauee (Post 32474041)
IIRC CHEAPEST ticket no luggage, even A3 Gold also Zero. but when ticket with 1 luggage , we can have 1 + 1. It seem like 0+0, 1+1, 2+1, 3+1

Very true and to the point

AHC96 Jun 23, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

Yes, the question was around M+B Gold members vs 'other programme' Gold members (in my case, TAP). Like in most programmes, the rules are not the same for Gold of the airline's own programme and others. Still haven't booked A3 for my trip to Athens but I probably will.

Tennen Jun 24, 2020 10:05 pm

Since when do A3 Golds get zero luggage on A3? :confused: AFAIK, all *Gs get a free bag, regardless of ticket type, on A3 flights (for now, at least). When you throw Olympic Air (so, most domestic flights + some international ones?) into the mix, then it's A3 *G only.

AHC96, from the baggage page (bolding mine):

Miles+Bonus Gold* & Star Alliance Gold
Free baggage allowance: 3 pieces 32kg in Business or 2 pieces up to 23kg in Economy Flex or 1 piece up to 23kg in Economy GoLight
Dimensions: 158 cm (62 inches)

*The benefit is also available on Olympic Air flights.
With seating, A3 screws their own *Gs, making them pay for anything other than "Standard" seats, so you aren't missing much. I think you have to wait until check-in opens (48 hours?) to select the free seats. Gold Track might save time at LHR, but at ATH (non-Schengen), it's pretty much useless. The bottleneck is at passport control, so security is pretty quick.

Romanianflyer Jun 25, 2020 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Tennen (Post 32483297)
Since when do A3 Golds get zero luggage on A3? :confused: AFAIK, all *Gs get a free bag, regardless of ticket type, on A3 flights (for now, at least). When you throw Olympic Air (so, most domestic flights + some international ones?) into the mix, then it's A3 *G only.

There are a few *A FFP who also have full benefits when flying OA. This depends whether or not those FFP have a separate agreement with OA. As far as I know, this is the case with TK, UA and NH.

I can at least confirm this for Turkish Airlines. I'm a *G with TK and I do get a free bag on both domestic and international OA routes. My tickets clearly list "1 free (Gold Member) up to 23kg", and I also never had problems getting lounge access courtesy of my TK *G.when flying OA.

eshroom Jan 23, 2021 5:31 am

Aegean have started charging even Aegean Gold for standard seat selection at check-in now. :( Bet it's only a matter of time till upgrade coupons go too.

Yreal Jan 23, 2021 7:46 am

Originally Posted by eshroom (Post 32988882)
Aegean have started charging even Aegean Gold for standard seat selection at check-in now. :( Bet it's only a matter of time till upgrade coupons go too.

Only on light fares.

On oa flights you can still snatch the extra legroom seats for free.

Yreal Jan 23, 2021 8:09 am

Double

eshroom Jan 23, 2021 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Yreal (Post 32989058)
Only on light fares.

On oa flights you can still snatch the extra legroom seats for free.

Gotscha. But not OA light fares. Although up front and extra leg room are all prices the same for meon OA. Hardly bank breaking ah 3 euros though.