Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

The Greek airport that was left to fall apart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Greek airport that was left to fall apart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Very true. As a kid I flew UMNR and on arrival a family member used to casually walk past the army guards with machine guns to meet me and the OA ground staff member in the baggage hall. In many ways rather then advance we have gone backwards. Especially when you look at todays world!
As a kid I flew UMNR multiple times from Brussels to Athens and a family member was always allowed to pick me up on the tarmac when the aircraft arrived
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
As a kid I flew UMNR multiple times from Brussels to Athens and a family member was always allowed to pick me up on the tarmac when the aircraft arrived
Were you that much of a brat that the crew couldnt wait to get rid of you ?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I loved flying into Hellenikon and always was on Olympic from the early 1970s until it closed. The west terminal was just so fast to pass through for all it often seemed chaotic and the journey down town was always so fast.

Things are much smarter now of course and ATH is a quick and efficient place to fly into and out of and of course A3 is in a different league to Olympic Airways.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Would be so cool to get one of those disused dishevelled aircraft and open a bar in it somewhere on Santorini or Crete
giorginho likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Would be so cool to get one of those disused dishevelled aircraft and open a bar in it somewhere on Santorini or Crete
Id still prefer to see them restored especially the interiors to keep them as they are. Then a stable home in a museum at the current site which is what is being proposed. After all that is their historic home. The interior of the B747 is in pretty good condition considering especially the art work and seats. Thats one thing that surprised me when I stepped inside the B747 a while back on a open day.

pic upload
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
I simply wonder who at CNN considered this a piece of news after 20 years! Actually, even for Americans, this is nothing new: for example, about 10 years earlier than closure of the old HER, DEN (Stapleton) was closed and, like Athens, it was replaced by a brand-new airport.
Just wait til CNN finds out that Athens hosted the Olympics in 2004. And that many of those venues are now abandoned, too!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ga...on-in-pictures
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:12 am

Yep, the moment the Olympics were over absolutely everybody forgot about them and, most importantly (you can substitute with sadly, annoying, irritating, etc.) nobody cared about the money spent!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:30 am
Original Poster

The demolition has started at the West Hellinikon .

sapman986 and giorginho like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:03 pm

It's a shame to see the 747s like this. The once great giants of the skies now sit watching the Greek sunsets.

One of the sister 747s (Olympic Flame) was recently dismantled in the UK. Most of the plane was scrapped bar a few bit and Tailfins.co.uk making some collectible pieces.

I wonder if the same will happen to this one?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:55 pm
HAF

These pics bring up great memories. I worked at the Olympic IT building in early '90s - my office overlooking the main runway.... Still remember the noon departure of the then TWA 747s to JFK ... Of course the new Athens airport is bigger and much more efficient, however there was something very special about Hellinikon...

--HAF
DELLAS, cad-spe and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HAF
These pics bring up great memories. I worked at the Olympic IT building in early '90s - my office overlooking the main runway.... Still remember the noon departure of the then TWA 747s to JFK ... Of course the new Athens airport is bigger and much more efficient, however there was something very special about Hellinikon...

--HAF
Agree I remember the TWA flight also the police on motorbikes used to have to stop the traffic at the end of the perimeter runway due to jet blast as it took off.
HAF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.