Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

How do you apply for a refund with Aegean?

Old Jun 13, 20, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Phoned the airline and they flat out refused a refund despite multiple references to EU261 etc. Only offered a voucher or change of date.

They said that if I really want to push it, I need to fill out a customer relations contact form. Are they able to process the refund? I can't find this form on their website.

Has anyone managed to get a refund from aegean and if so, how?
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: A3 *G
I'd say you've got pretty much zero chance at the moment. I've been disputing a refund with them for three months now. For the first two moths they totally ignored all communications. When they finally answered they quoted the new Greek law (passed in early May I believe) which allows them to issue vouchers. When I queried this and pointed out that national law does NOT override EU law (EU.261) they went quiet again and have since ignored my last three emails. Apparently the EU commission have recently reiterated that EU.261 is still valid and that they will take "steps" against the governments of countries that do not abide, but until that happens I think Aegean will stand their ground, or at least pretend to be deaf. From other posts (do a search) it seems the best way is via your credit card company, if that's what you used for payment, and that a lot of the card companies are indeed making refunds.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 20, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
I'd say you've got pretty much zero chance at the moment. I've been disputing a refund with them for three months now. For the first two moths they totally ignored all communications. When they finally answered they quoted the new Greek law (passed in early May I believe) which allows them to issue vouchers. When I queried this and pointed out that national law does NOT override EU law (EU.261) they went quiet again and have since ignored my last three emails. Apparently the EU commission have recently reiterated that EU.261 is still valid and that they will take "steps" against the governments of countries that do not abide, but until that happens I think Aegean will stand their ground, or at least pretend to be deaf. From other posts (do a search) it seems the best way is via your credit card company, if that's what you used for payment, and that a lot of the card companies are indeed making refunds.
they will take "steps" against the governments of countries that do not abide, but until that happens "'

Yes, will take years, if....

So better take the voucher...
Old Jun 13, 20, 3:56 pm

Take the voucher!
Old Jun 13, 20, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
You get a refund by filing a chargeback with your credit card company if you can.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Jun 13, 20, 5:42 pm

I realize this might not be the best option for everyone, but I believe the voucher can be converted into monetary refund if not used after 12 months. So it's just a question of waiting out.
Old Jun 14, 20, 1:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by lukulius View Post
I realize this might not be the best option for everyone, but I believe the voucher can be converted into monetary refund if not used after 12 months. So it's just a question of waiting out.
18 months.
Old Jun 14, 20, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
On a refundable fare or in cases of a cancelled flight you should ultimately get a refund. Why not take it up with MCOL?
Old Jun 14, 20, 2:21 am
Original Poster

This one is actually for my friend who is based in ROI!
Old Jun 14, 20, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
18 months.
Aegean's voucher form website says 12 months:
You will be able to redeem your Credit Voucher on any future flight within the next 18 months. If you will not use it, you are eligible to request a monetary refund, either for the total or the remaining unused amount, 12 months after the date of its issuance.
Old Jun 14, 20, 3:48 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
I booked BUD-ATH-OTP for the end of June on a crappy OTA. First the ATH-OTP leg was cancelled and I was put on a later flight. Now BUD-ATH isn't running that day

I too rang up Aegean and got the 'hard sell' on the benefits of the voucher over a refund. Neither Aegean nor the OTA will help with a refund

As I booked with my Curve (debit) card I'm unsure if there's much use in looking into a chargeback option.

Is there any way to figure out how much this Aegean voucher would be worth? I booked via an OTA instead of Aegean as it was cheaper. If I'm issued an Aegean voucher for the lesser amount I spent at the OTA, I feel I may miss out on some value.

If Aegean offered a little sweetener (like Wizz Air...chucking in a 20% bonus with your voucher. But funnily enough they refunded my money in 4 weeks) I may be more tempted by the voucher (my 'travel date' is before July 1st, so I suppose I wouldn't be eligible for any 10% extra).
Old Jun 14, 20, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by lukulius View Post
Aegean's voucher form website says 12 months:
Interesting, they must have changed that since I received my vouchers (see below the T&Cs that were in e-mails).

Old Jun 14, 20, 5:15 am

Bud-otp every day flights. aegean will start in august ...
Old Jun 14, 20, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by galego View Post
Is there any way to figure out how much this Aegean voucher would be worth? I booked via an OTA instead of Aegean as it was cheaper. If I'm issued an Aegean voucher for the lesser amount I spent at the OTA, I feel I may miss out on some value.
If you get a voucher, it will be for the fare price, not the price you paid for the ticket with the OTA. I have a few vouchers where I made 14 EUR on each ticket because the OTA was discounting the flights, but the voucher value is for the fare price that was quoted on Aegean's website.
galego likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: