Message from our CEO

Old May 18, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Message from our CEO

Dear passenger,

First of all, we hope that you and your family are in good health.

For all of us in the family of AEGEAN and Olympic Air, 2020 started on a high, with optimism and vision for the new year and our next steps.

Unfortunately, the unprecedented situation we have all been faced with during the last three months, has forced us to give up doing what we love most, flying with you. We have had to stop flying with you, but we never stopped flying for you, stepping in to be by your side every time we were asked to, no matter how far we had to fly, to bring back to Greece whatever was needed.

Greece has successfully tackled the first phase of the health crisis, making us all very proud of what we have achieved together.

In keeping with the successful national efforts made so far, we are working diligently to face the new challenges raised by the pandemic. Having as absolute priority the health and safety of our passengers and employees and in close cooperation with the authorities, we have already modified the procedures in place for boarding, both at the gate and for aircraft access, and our inflight service. We have also reinforced the protocols for cleaning and disinfecting our aircraft. The use of a face mask has become obligatory for both our passengers and our crews, and from now on, only one personal item will be allowed in the cabin. Furthermore, the last 3 rows of seats will be kept vacant in case we should need to isolate a passenger with potential symptoms. During the week you will receive detailed information of all the protective measures and new procedures that we will be putting in place within the framework of new protocols for safe travelling.

From today, as travel restrictions to the mainland and the island of Crete have been lifted and from next week, to all the Greek islands, we are ready to fly together on our domestic network.

We are getting ready to gradually restore international operations in the coming weeks and months. Initially we plan to restart operations with a limited schedule from Athens to Munich, Frankfurt, Geneva and Zurich. At the same time, we shall increase flights operating to Brussels, which is the only international destination that we didnt suspend. Soon, more destinations will be added.

As we adapt to a new way of travelling, we are adjusting our tickets accordingly so that you can travel with more flexibility and confidence. All new tickets issued between 18th May and 15th June 2020, and regardless of flight dates, will have the benefits of the FLEX fare category, so that you can have one piece of checked luggage free of charge and also the option to change your ticket without rebooking fees.

In conclusion, please be assured that we shall be constantly monitoring developments and learning step by step how to successfully and carefully progress to the next one. After all, this is what we have been doing for more than 20 years at AEGEAN, always guided by our values and having you, our passengers, as our main focus.

We look forward to travelling together again.

Thank you for your support.

Dimitris Gerogiannis
Chief Executive Officer
Old May 18, 2020, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I noticed that only Flex fares are now available. However, unlike the positive spin in this message, the price matches to regular Flex price. In fact, it may actually be a bit higher.

Also, while yesterday cheap(ish) P fares were available (to AMS), today all of those are gone for the summer and only T Flex (and up) remains.
Arrivals likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:43 pm

Does that mean if we need to rebook our existing tickets now we have to do that into FLEX and pay the difference? Not a very nice move by Aegean.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

To be honest Im noticing this trend with many airlines in various markets. It looks like its the way things are going to be for a while . People who took vouchers from the airlines will also find that voucher is worth less when coming to rebook in the months to come and even for next year.

Interesting about the blocking last 3 rows on Aegean aircraft though. Not heard that from other airlines unless I missed it.
irishguy28 and Yreal like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
So are all fares upgradable with vouchers now?
Old May 18, 2020, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I cannot find the miles redemption option - it keeps giving an error!
Old May 18, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELLAS
To be honest Im noticing this trend with many airlines in various markets. It looks like its the way things are going to be for a while . People who took vouchers from the airlines will also find that voucher is worth less when coming to rebook in the months to come and even for next year.

Interesting about the blocking last 3 rows on Aegean aircraft though. Not heard that from other airlines unless I missed it.
You mean people who were forced to take vouchers!

If they are only selling Flex fares, I will keep hold of my vouchers for 18 months and then cash them in. That's if the EU doesn't force Aegean to pay up before then!

What will be interesting to see is what happens when I go to rebook my 3 cancelled flights that I haven't applied for vouchers for. Will they rebook me in Flex without additional costs?
East_and_West likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Summary: Pay the price of a Flex ticket, and enjoy all the benefits of a Flex ticket! It doesn't sound that bad... It must be the greatest benefit introduced in the past few years, at least since the time they brought up the 50% discount on advance seat reservation fees for Gold members.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
They definitely seem to have lost their magic touch. Firstly, we had the (illegal) refusal of refunds for flight cancellations, which will undoubtedly put a lot of people off booking Aegean flights in the future. Plus customer service agents completely ignoring messages from anyone not willing to accept those vouchers. Now we have most leisure travellers being completely priced out of potential holiday flights. There price difference between A3 flights and their competitors' will kill Aegean's business.

A couple of months ago I felt confident that Aegean still had a successful future, but some of these recent decisions really make me wonder!
Old May 19, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
The use of a face mask has become obligatory for both our passengers and our crews, and from now on, only one personal item will be allowed in the cabin.
One personal item allowed. Aegean defines that as "Women's/men's handbag or thin laptop case." Which means that I can't take my combined laptop and photography backpack on Aegean. So, no thank you, I'm not flying.

Also, a face mask is obligatory. The cabin air is replaced every four minutes, when all potential viruses are gone. But a face mask will mean that all potential viruses will be trapped in the mask. Which means that the masks will have to be replaced frequently. They have to be disposed of in a way so that they don't come into contact with anything else on the plane, and then the user needs to wash his or her hands with water and soap. I really hope that they have plenty of lavatories, water, soap, and open trash bins on board (not like the ones in a typical lavatory where you have to press down on the lid to open the bin). Otherwise, an obligatory face mask may increase the risk of spreading infections.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Aegean like a lot of other carriers are adopting the face mask policy just like the majority will and the same goes for hand luggage. Those that dont want to will find themselves grounded longer with less and less options.

People need to get used to a new way of flying otherwise better you take staycations!
cad-spe likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
They definitely seem to have lost their magic touch. Firstly, we had the (illegal) refusal of refunds for flight cancellations, which will undoubtedly put a lot of people off booking Aegean flights in the future. Plus customer service agents completely ignoring messages from anyone not willing to accept those vouchers. Now we have most leisure travellers being completely priced out of potential holiday flights. There price difference between A3 flights and their competitors' will kill Aegean's business.

A couple of months ago I felt confident that Aegean still had a successful future, but some of these recent decisions really make me wonder!
doubt the price will matter that much. Summer tickets on a3 where always more expensive then tickets to Thailand for some reason...
DELLAS likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Yreal
doubt the price will matter that much. Summer tickets on a3 where always more expensive then tickets to Thailand for some reason...
The problem is these are not just summer tickets, they are only offering Flex right through until next April.
Old May 19, 2020, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
The problem is these are not just summer tickets, they are only offering Flex right through until next April.
As time goes on these will be adjusted. Because its very much unheard of airlines are finding their way so traditional sales and saver fares are out the window. Ive looked at various routes and airlines that I usually fly and all prices are above average for all dates.
If you are looking for next Jan-May then the advice would be to hold off until September or until the marketing and revenue management gurus launch a sale.
cad-spe and Arrivals like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:44 am

Soms prices are pretty cool. Booked ams-muc-sin-zrh-ams for 300. Not complaining. W6 is also dumping.

flying to Athens on anything but a3 does feel dirty though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.