Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Posting miles to Aegean while using other *G for status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver

Would be glad to know if this is possible on A3: I'm taking an A3 flight soon, and would like *G benefits, specifically +1 luggage (am UA*G). however, I need the sectors to post to my new A3 account (these will be the silver qualification sectors, giving up UA for A3).

I know YMMV with across airlines....
Do A3 systems allow this ? (changing FF number after checkin, *G benefits remain)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Normally, I'd say just change the FFP once you get to the lounge (you can normally still blag Priority boarding by waving your Gold card at the gate). However, if these are the *qualifying* sectors you need for *S then it's a bit riskier.

I got hit with this in 2018 - I thought I'd changed the FFP to A3 and it even showed up as A3 on my Apple Wallet BP as I went through the gate. I did the same on the return flight next day. However, a couple of days later I found to my horror that both flights had somehow credited to SQ instead of A3. I called up SQ to see if they could get the miles/segments switched to A3 but it was no dice. They dug their heels in said that once the miles had credited they couldn't be reassigned. The end result is that I needed another dash to ATH before my HKG trip so that I could bag *S before the trip that would put me with spitting distance of *G (otherwise 12K of those miles would have been wasted by being allocated to *S qualification without A3 segments - 24K instead of 12K).

Aside from that, I've done this kind of things a fair few times without any issues. In fact I did it only last week at LHR on a LO flight (switched from A3 to LH after getting to the UA lounge). It was just that the one time it failed that turned out to be the most crucial.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:26 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
It is possible (for an unusually knowledgeable travel or customer service agent), but not easy.

There are two fields in the PNR for each airline, the FQTV field (frequent traveller number for mileage earning) and the FQTS field (frequent traveller number for status purposes).

These can be set to different values. But airline IT systems are not always designed to understand that this can happen, so even if you manage to find a travel agent who understands what you are talking about, it is not guaranteed to work.

Give it a try.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
This is from TLV, so the lounge is non *A and of no use. GAs are all contract, not A3 so not that knowledgeable....
Might be stuck here...

I was hoping to find out if the A3 systems are the same as LOT - i.e. once *G is removed from the system (even after checking in) the system shows payment is due for checked luggage (on HLO).

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Normally, I'd say just change the FFP once you get to the lounge (you can normally still blag Priority boarding by waving your Gold card at the gate). However, if these are the *qualifying* sectors you need for *S then it's a bit riskier.

I got hit with this in 2018 - I thought I'd changed the FFP to A3 and it even showed up as A3 on my Apple Wallet BP as I went through the gate. I did the same on the return flight next day. However, a couple of days later I found to my horror that both flights had somehow credited to SQ instead of A3. I called up SQ to see if they could get the miles/segments switched to A3 but it was no dice. They dug their heels in said that once the miles had credited they couldn't be reassigned. The end result is that I needed another dash to ATH before my HKG trip so that I could bag *S before the trip that would put me with spitting distance of *G (otherwise 12K of those miles would have been wasted by being allocated to *S qualification without A3 segments - 24K instead of 12K).

Aside from that, I've done this kind of things a fair few times without any issues. In fact I did it only last week at LHR on a LO flight (switched from A3 to LH after getting to the UA lounge). It was just that the one time it failed that turned out to be the most crucial.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by dand99
This is from TLV, so the lounge is non *A and of no use. GAs are all contract, not A3 so not that knowledgeable....
Might be stuck here...

I was hoping to find out if the A3 systems are the same as LOT - i.e. once *G is removed from the system (even after checking in) the system shows payment is due for checked luggage (on HLO).
You can try changing the FFP number at the gate, if the gate agent is half competent. I have done this when flying LH from MUC, but contract agents may not be as willing (or know how) to help.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Exactly as GBobon says it is technically possible to do this in the reservation system. However my personal experience with this has been very poor as often the airlines' systems aren't correctly setup to match even when the cards have been correctly entered.

If you will be switching to the A3-card then beware that it is difficult to change back to the A3-card from OAL like yurtrip says. Similar experiences here: How late is it possible to modify check-in data online?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by dand99
I had a similar situation a few years ago - I wanted to use my AY+ status to check a bag, but credit the miles to AS. Once the check-in agent changed the FFP to AS, the system wanted me to pay for the bag. I didn't press the issue, but I do understand that it may be difficult, even if you get an agent that knows about FQTV and FQTS.

If you are using benefits e.g., for accessing a lounge while crediting somewhere else, it is easier, but with the bag...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.