Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3*G and "fixed 12-month period to collect Tier Miles"

Old Dec 29, 19, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Aegean's M+B conditions for Gold renewal state "you have a fixed 12-month period from the date of your upgrade or renewal of your tier" (vs. the Silver -> Gold "within 12 months"). However, the "date of your upgrade or renewal" is rather vague since they've previously sent me new Gold cards as soon as I made Gold status, not at the 12-month renewal point which would be in March of each year.

In other words if my miles expired in March 2028 (to pick a random future date) and I made Gold status in June 2027 they'd send me the Gold card shortly after June 2027. Does this mean the 12-month clock starts from June 2027 (the time I made Gold) or from 12 months before March 2028 (the Gold status expiry date)?

Hope that wasn't worded too badly, I know what I want to ask but if I've communicated it incorrectly let me know. The confusion is because airlines like UA send your new card around about the expiry date of the previous one so the 12-month duration is obvious while A3 seem to send it when you renew Gold, so you can end up having a "12-month" card for 18 months or more.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
As soon as you hit your requalification threshold, they send you a new card with the updated expiration date. Your 12-month membership year doesn't change unless your status changes (move up a tier or down a tier). So, in your example, you'll get a card sent to you in June 2027 that has an expiration date of March 2029. You can still use your existing card that expires in March 2028 (or your app/digital card).

This is one area that I think A3 excels. On most airlines (at least in the US), if you're traveling during the transition period, you'll be without a card or a way to "prove" you have status for priority benefits and lounge access. With A3's early mailing of the cards, you won't be without a physical card unless you requalify later on in the membership year.

Edited to clarify: If you change status (Blue -> Silver, Silver -> Gold, etc.) in June 2027, then your membership year resets and will run from June to June. The above only applies if you requalify for status (Silver -> Silver or Gold -> Gold).
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks! So the confusion is actually over the requalification period, if I get my card in June 2027, which extends my expiry from March 2028 (before requalifying) to March 2029 (after requalifying), does that mean I have 12 months from June 2027 to June 2028 to do my requalifying miles, or is it 12 months from March 2028 to March 2029? In other words is the clock reset when the new card is issued, or at a fixed 12-month-interval date, in my case March of each year? Aegean have different wording for Silver -> Gold and Gold -> Gold, specifically the "12-month period from the date of your upgrade or renewal of your tier" which makes it a bit unclear, i.e. is the "date of renewal" counted as June 2027, the card issue date, or March 2028, the time the previous status would have expired?
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by mishandled_baggage View Post
... or is it 12 months from March 2028 to March 2029?
This. Don't take it too personally, but your question has been answered multiple times (I'm a bit surprised you didn't find the answer already, I know it and I've never even been Aegean gold ). And to answer your future question , subsequent (post requalification) flights between June 2027 and March 2028 will not count towards requalification for the period between March 2029 and March 2030 (so you're better off crediting these somewhere else).
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yeah, I'd looked through various threads going back at least a year and found some approximate answers but nothing definitive, maybe I was looking in the wrong threads. I feel bad about asking what felt like an FAQ so I'd at least tried to find the answer :-).
giorginho likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 4:43 am

There's a simple way to answer the question. In one's account, the lower box on the right side of the page loaded after logging-in shows how many miles one needs to achieve gold or silver and (here's your answer) also states till when.
yauee and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Well, it shows when the status expires, but due to the ambiguous wording (see my earlier post) it was a bit unclear whether the "12 months" referred to was "12 months before the listed expiry date" or "12 months after you qualify for Gold". The problematic wording was "12-month period from the date of your upgrade or renewal of your tier", but @giorginho has explained which interpretation is the correct one, along with the best way to proceed, "better off crediting these somewhere else", or in my case rescheduling the travel so it falls within the correct 12-month window, i.e. after the March rollover.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Hope that wasn't worded too badly
The date you receive your card is irrelevant (renewing "early" doesn't end your current Gold membership year. They promised you a full year of Gold, and that's exactly what you will get. The "next" year you just qualified for doesn't start immediately - it won't start until the current year has ended. You must still run out the remaining time in your current year - until your unchanged anniversary/renewal date is reached - before they can start that newly-requalified year, at which point they again start counting your Tier Miles).

The only date that ever matters is the one shown in your profile.

The only thing that will ever change your qualification date, and hence change your fixed 12-month qualification period, is by going up a level in status.

Going up a level in status is impossible for those who have attained Gold. Once you have attained Gold, your qualification year/anniversary date can never again change until you drop down in status (to either Silver, or to Silver and then further down to Blue), and then subsequently go back up in status again.

Note that dropping downwards in status - just as in maintaining any level along the way - can never change your anniversary date/renewal date/membership year. Any such subsequent increase in status level - whether from Silver back to Gold, or from Blue back to Silver - is the only thing that can ever again change your anniversary date/qualification year. You instantly are upgraded to this new higher status level, and your anniversary date is wiped, re-set to the date that you went up in status.

Think of it like this - they don't force you to endure the rest of your year of Silver status when you have surpassed the threshold for Gold. Similarly, they don't force you to endure a full year of Blue status when you have surpassed the threshold for Silver. When you increase in status, the upgrade is instant, and therefore the anniversary date/membership year begins anew at this higher level. But if you continue to maintain Gold, they don't "rob" you of the remainder of the current year when you have qualified for the next year. They allow to you fully enjoy the current year, and will start the following year only once the anniversary date has passed. (Otherwise, they would be short changing you, by reducing your earned status period).

For as long as you continue to maintain Gold status, your anniversary date will never change - regardless of how early you exceed your requalification target and/or how early or late they send a new Gold card to you. That is why most of us still have an anniversary date of 23 November - it's the launch date of the new programme, and therefore the anniversary date for all those who have never gone up in status since the new programme was launched.
Tokyoite, yurtripper and MrArkadin like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 3, 20 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Great explanation.
Iím baffled why this is hard to grasp/understand/digest.

November 23rd....the date that now seems like a birthday of a close relative or friend. Etched in the annual calendar of activities, diligently celebrated each year!
:D!, MrArkadin and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Great explanation.
Iím baffled why this is hard to grasp/understand/digest.

November 23rd....the date that now seems like a birthday of a close relative or friend. Etched in the annual calendar of activities, diligently celebrated each year!
It may be hard to understand the first time because most FFPs use a fixed year or calendar year.

With BA, if you move up from Silver to Gold you could remain at Gold status for up to 25 months (or as little as 13 months) even if you never pay for a oneworld flight after that.

With A3, if you move up from Silver to Gold you will only ever stay at Gold for 12 months if you don't pay for any more Star flights.

...so you can end up having a "12-month" card for 18 months or more.
There is no start date on the card, so there is no such thing as a "12 month card". If you requalify early you just have two cards that are valid (with different expiry dates)
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:19 am

Well, I personally preferred the old M+B system in which my gold card (and status) had no end indicated... Mind you, it took me 4-5 years to achieve this, as at that time one could only earn on A3 flights and I wasn't: Discovering strange lounges in exotic places, I was usually first flying Transavia HER-AMS (yes, you could earn FD on them) then NW or KL, and then, after the AF/KL merger, I was earning FB (AF, DL, KL) going through CDG (they stopped the Transavia flights). Then A3 joined *A, I switched alliances and now, after retiring, it's mostly Europe visiting my children or friends.
:D! and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
With BA, if you move up from Silver to Gold you could remain at Gold status for up to 25 months (or as little as 13 months) even if you never pay for a oneworld flight after that.)
That is a relatively recent change in BA’s programme. It used to be that your anniversary date in BA was fixed, and determined only by when you initially opened your account.

Around the same time that A3 changed their program and introduced the system of resetting the membership year upon upgrade, BA abandoned it.

Flying Blue also, like A3, moved to variable membership years with their 2018 changes. FB previously only had membership years aligned to the calendar year; but now, just as in A3, your year commences again on each increase in status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: