Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Good destinations for 1-2 days for a 4-sector run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good destinations for 1-2 days for a 4-sector run?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Well....! It's that time of year again sector run time!

I had a fantastic deal booked for 25-27th Sept to CHQ to renew status with a lovely city center hotel that just fell apart when the Dutch government put ALL Greek islands on the quarantine list. Absolutely gutted. I was looking forward to spending a full day by the pool and a great dinner and Greek wine somewhere. Mainland is still permitted though so I booked to SKG instead. (which is really crazy from a Covid POV - a small island town vs. a busy city..)

Anyway.. I have no idea about Thessaloniki. I saw there's some nice hotels near and south of the airport, though maybe it would be nice to be closer to a town center. Does anybody have any recommendations for where I should stay and if there are any MUST SEEs for Thessaloniki? A Greek dinner recommendation would be welcome too.
I was there yesterday but just close to Airport (Iris hotel) and just for one night, needed last 4 segments to be G. Defo go to the city, place close to airport is not what I want to repeat. Nothing against, just there is nothing special to do. City is city.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:41 pm

The Archaeological Museum is a "must": the finds of the Vergina tombs are simply amazing!!!
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by romans
I was there yesterday but just close to Airport (Iris hotel) and just for one night, needed last 4 segments to be G. Defo go to the city, place close to airport is not what I want to repeat. Nothing against, just there is nothing special to do. City is city.
Yes, it looked a bit remote.. I saw the Hyatt Regency looked nice if I was just to sit by the pool all day (also an option!)

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Well you can still fly to the islands. Its just that things like insurance might work differently (or not at all).
The crazy thing is that Thessaloniki has been quite a hotspot too, definitely more than some of the islands (though not sure how it compares to Crete).

Personally I'm not very familiar with the city... but I do know that it is well known for its cuisine. Probably very different from the island style that you were hoping to find, but hopefully good/nice nonetheless.
Yes, I thought it was a bit bizarre. 8 teenagers on boys holiday caught it in Crete and then brought it back. Thessaloniki is worse, but for NL not on the quarantine list (situation is not great here in NL either, to be fair. I am probabaly a higher risk than any local in Crete or mainland!)

Originally Posted by Sebi1
You can rent a car and drive down two hours to Chalkidiki. There are nice beaches and it is a touristic area with hotels and apartments. Thessaloniki is not that spectacular and in my opinion you have seen everything there within a few hours.
Nice idea - I'll check that out. I have a few Avis promotions I think too..

Originally Posted by KLouis
The Archaeological Museum is a "must": the finds of the Vergina tombs are simply amazing!!!
Great! That sounds like a good way to spend a few hours. I quite like to learn about the destinations I go to and my knowledge of Greek history is virtually zero, which is a shame.

Thank you all for your constructive and great ideas - this is why this forum is a super place ^
Xandrios and romans like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Thessaloniki's archaeological museum is definitely a must and if you're into Byzantine history that one is superb as well. For accommodation I'd recommend The Caravan B&B - it's urban and bright and the central Electra Palace has recently been renovated. Two restaurant recommendations: Charoupi and Sempriko. And I wouldn't miss renting a bike and riding up and down the promenade
OttoMH likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Looks like Chania is the best bet price wise - €240 all-in return for an up-gradable fare. The hotels and restaurants look great too. A bargain for securing StarGold through Oct 2021 (and a bit of a Jolly too!) Thanks all - I notice a lot of BMI folks in here too
Good old Bmi took me to places I never knew I wanted to go Those M+C USA deals are sadly missed . In terms of requal A3 is better IMHO.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Good old Bmi took me to places I never knew I wanted to go Those M+C USA deals are sadly missed . In terms of requal A3 is better IMHO.
Ahh.. BMI miles and cash.. I ran out of vacation days before I could spend my miles! I used a chunk to send my parents on a C & F (Swiss!) round trip to Mexico twice - they'd never been out of economy before I still had a large chunk left to convert to Avios..

A3 re-qualification is perfect. I fly frequently on Star Alliance, but only short haul, low economy. I would never make Gold the long route, but desperately want Gold for the lounge and fast track to make the frequent economy short haul more bearable. A 1-2 night mileage run adventure to Greece each year is fun, especially as I usually manage to use my upgrade coupons too!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I did not want to start a new thread so I am asking my questions here. We are planning to book LHR-ATH-XXX, and XXX-ATH-CDG. Any recommendations will be welcome . Apr 2 first departure and April 4/5 second departure.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:18 pm

Not knowing what you're after (e.g. culture? hiking? etc.) I will not recommend anything in particular but give you a small warning: This is the non-orthodox Easter weekend, so both numbers of passengers and prices will sky-rocket! Act fast!!!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not knowing what you're after (e.g. culture? hiking? etc.) I will not recommend anything in particular but give you a small warning: This is the non-orthodox Easter weekend, so both numbers of passengers and prices will sky-rocket! Act fast!!!
No hiking, just relaxation and eating yummy greek food. Thats why I want to book now using the vouchers they provided us for the cancelled trip this year.

Been to Heraklion, SKG, Kefalonia already.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Rhodes or Kos, perhaps? Lots to see as well and nice for strolls.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atothepoweroftwo
Rhodes or Kos, perhaps? Lots to see as well and nice for strolls.

Thank you will start looking at these 2 as well as Corfu.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:52 pm

Look at Chania as well, very different from Heraklion.
Xandrios and Arrivals like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you will do, so close to booking not done yet.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:34 pm

I visited both in late November last year, just before [waves at everything] all this kicked off. Yes, they are significantly different, and both are worth a visit.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thank you will do, so close to booking not done yet.
I was supposed to go to Chania but Crete got negative travel advice just before departure so went to SKG. CHQ flight timings are good too, at least from AMS. I'd done some research and the food looks great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.