Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Help: Need 2 segments (or 4k miles) to retain Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Need 2 segments (or 4k miles) to retain Gold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold
Question Help: Need 2 segments (or 4k miles) to retain Gold

Greetings to the hivemind,

Due to my own stupidity (thinking that reward flights would count as segments) I'm in the unfortunate situation of needing either ~4k miles or 2 extra A3/OA segments to retain my Gold status within the next two months. My homebase is London.

I will be in Athens for a few days in February and I was considering doing a return flight to one of the islands. I was looking at ATH-MJT-ATH and wanting to do a turnaround flight. According to the schedule the plane arrives at 15:20 in MJT and departs for ATH at 15:55. Would that be sufficient time for me to deplane and get back to the same gate to fly back? Having called the Gold phone line, the agent sounded skeptical and suggested against it. I should note, I was thinking of doing it on the day of my departure back to London, with my ATH-LHR flight at 19:10. That is, if for whatever reason I fail to board the MJT-ATH flight, I would also miss my ATH-LHR flight (they would not be on the same booking).

Alternatively, I could look for some mileage run from London that would give me ~4k miles (I could do that during the second half of January). If someone wants to be really creative, I will also be in Sydney for three weeks in Dec/Jan, so any *A runs for ~4k from there would be another possibility (but as far as I know only Air New Zealand would be a possibility?).

Any opinions/thoughts/advice are welcome!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I suggest you book a flight ATH - SKG (Thessaloniki) - ATH. Direct returns are possible (I did it several times already), and if there is an issue, there are flights almost every hour, so won't have a problem with your LHR return flight.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Whata rhe renewal date?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I would do SKG too
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold
Originally Posted by Yreal
Whata rhe renewal date?
Renewal is 11th of Feb. Yes, SKG would be safer.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:36 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
cheap flights to OTP too, good for a day trip (landing here early morning and leave back to ATH in the afternoon - OTP is OK now for B2B as well, the immingration and transfer flows were redesigned and is now easier to transfer in OTP from INT to INT flights)
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Soiram
Greetings to the hivemind,

Due to my own stupidity (thinking that reward flights would count as segments) I'm in the unfortunate situation of needing either ~4k miles or 2 extra A3/OA segments to retain my Gold status within the next two months. My homebase is London.

I will be in Athens for a few days in February and I was considering doing a return flight to one of the islands. I was looking at ATH-MJT-ATH and wanting to do a turnaround flight. According to the schedule the plane arrives at 15:20 in MJT and departs for ATH at 15:55. Would that be sufficient time for me to deplane and get back to the same gate to fly back? Having called the Gold phone line, the agent sounded skeptical and suggested against it. I should note, I was thinking of doing it on the day of my departure back to London, with my ATH-LHR flight at 19:10. That is, if for whatever reason I fail to board the MJT-ATH flight, I would also miss my ATH-LHR flight (they would not be on the same booking).

Alternatively, I could look for some mileage run from London that would give me ~4k miles (I could do that during the second half of January). If someone wants to be really creative, I will also be in Sydney for three weeks in Dec/Jan, so any *A runs for ~4k from there would be another possibility (but as far as I know only Air New Zealand would be a possibility?).

Any opinions/thoughts/advice are welcome!
I've done it lost of times, with even less time to spare. Always on the ATH-SKG route, sometimes all 4 flights in one day. Been asked many times by flight crew what the heck is going on? Absolutely do it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.