Keeping Miles+Bonus account remains active*

Old Oct 9, 19, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Keeping Miles+Bonus account remains active*

Hello. I bought some Aegean miles last year on 7 November 2018 (with bonus). Haven't used it since then.

From the FAQ

Do my Tier or Award miles expire?

Tier Miles have a twelve (12) month lifetime. Award miles do not expire and you may redeem them as long as your Miles+Bonus account remains active*.

When will these miles expire? So the next question how to keep my Miles + Bonus account remains active?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:34 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by zercab View Post
Hello. I bought some Aegean miles last year on 7 November 2018 (with bonus). Haven't used it since then.

From the FAQ

When will these miles expire? So the next question how to keep my Miles + Bonus account remains active?

Thanks
It depends on what kind of miles you bought:
  • If they were Tier miles (the ones that count towards your membership level), they are valid for a year; they will thus expire on Nov 6 this year, unless in the meanwhile you get upgraded to the next tier (Silver/Gold), at which point the count starts over from zero. There is nothing you can do to keep Tier miles from expiring.
  • If those you bought were Award miles (the ones that you can use to get tickets), they do not expire as long as your M&B account remains active.
At some point I remember reading somewhere in this forum that you need to register with M&B a paid flight on A3, OA, or any *A member at least once every 5 years to keep your account active. A couple of months ago though that I skimmed through T&C on behalf of my brother who has an virtually inactive M&B I could not find the relevant entry, so it is possible that even this requirement may have been removed.
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
So the next question how to keep my Miles + Bonus account remains active?
Stay alive.

It really is that simple.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
It depends on what kind of miles you bought:
  • If they were Tier miles (the ones that count towards your membership level), they are valid for a year; they will thus expire on Nov 6 this year, unless in the meanwhile you get upgraded to the next tier (Silver/Gold), at which point the count starts over from zero. There is nothing you can do to keep Tier miles from expiring.
  • If those you bought were Award miles (the ones that you can use to get tickets), they do not expire as long as your M&B account remains active.
At some point I remember reading somewhere in this forum that you need to register with M&B a paid flight on A3, OA, or any *A member at least once every 5 years to keep your account active. A couple of months ago though that I skimmed through T&C on behalf of my brother who has an virtually inactive M&B I could not find the relevant entry, so it is possible that even this requirement may have been removed.
ok just checked they are award miles!

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Stay alive.

It really is that simple.
means the miles+bonus account will remain active forever?
just wondering as some other mileage account has like expiry if i dont login / fly with them.
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

means the miles+bonus account will remain active forever?
Or until the rules are changed.

Nothing lasts forever; but the current rules say they do. Aegean once had lifetime status - qualify for Gold, and you never lost it. Next month, it will have been 5 years since they changed that, and that's why most of us legacy Golds still have membership years ending 23 November!
Tokyoite likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 10, 19 at 3:11 am
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok just checked they are award miles!
You really should NOT buy award miles unless you actually need them to make an imminent redemption. It doesn't matter where there was a bonus purchase offer - sinking cash into a far less converible currency (any Frequent Flyer Programme's award miles) is a very bad investment - unless the purchase is to allow you to make an instant redemption that you need and that you otherwise cannot make.
Old Oct 11, 19, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You really should NOT buy award miles unless you actually need them to make an imminent redemption. It doesn't matter where there was a bonus purchase offer - sinking cash into a far less converible currency (any Frequent Flyer Programme's award miles) is a very bad investment - unless the purchase is to allow you to make an instant redemption that you need and that you otherwise cannot make.
yes sir, due to unforeseen circumstances my plan was cancelled and ended up not booking the flight
Old Oct 12, 19, 2:03 am

My wife's M&B account was deleted, as nobody within Aegean can find it any more. She must have last credited miles from an Aegean flight around 2011 or 2012, but we are pretty sure that the account has been taken out of existence quite a while ago... I remember asking them when I registered with M&B back in 2012 and they were positive that the miles will never expire. Doesn't seem to always be the case (but then again my wife never even logged in online etc., so maybe that "dead silence" had something to do with it).
Old Oct 13, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by giorginho View Post
My wife's M&B account was deleted, as nobody within Aegean can find it any more. She must have last credited miles from an Aegean flight around 2011 or 2012, but we are pretty sure that the account has been taken out of existence quite a while ago... I remember asking them when I registered with M&B back in 2012 and they were positive that the miles will never expire. Doesn't seem to always be the case (but then again my wife never even logged in online etc., so maybe that "dead silence" had something to do with it).
Maybe there was no account expiry before the new program launched (I don't remember the exact T&Cs), but even so, the new conditions are quite clear about when the account would expire. Even without logging in - surely your wife would have received emails about the changes in conditions and then the upcoming closing of the account?
Old Oct 13, 19, 8:20 am

Given my age, my memories may be wrong, but I remember that until a couple of years ago accounts were first blocked after an inactivity of 3 (or 5?) years and were then "deleted" after an additional 12 months w/o any bookings with Aegean; until I read this thread I was not aware they had changed the rules. Anyway, if giorginho's wife's last credit was 7 or 8 years ago, the account is definitely futsch since quite some time.

Search this Thread