Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Called Aegean Airlines out for their treatment of Star Alliance Gold

Old Sep 26, 19, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus

Aegean Airlines post came across my Facebook feed so I used this opportunity to write the following:

Can someone from Aegean Airlines explain to me why they continually deny me access to their club lounge in Athens as a United Airlines/Star Alliance gold member when I've booked a connecting flight from Athens to Chania on their website, only to have the club lounge employee tell me I'm flying with Olympic Air, when Olympic Air exists only on paper (the plane, crew flying me to Chania belongs to Aegean Airlines).

United Airlines subcontracts flights to lesser known carries (ex. Wisconsin Air) all the time, but they've never denied me access to their lounge because they chose to subcontract the flight. It is utterly outrageous and comical to be told you're flying with Olympic Air with a straight face and thus denied club access when:

1. I never booked with Olympic Air
2. Reservations were made with (and paid to) Aegean Airlines
3. Aegean Airlines is a member of Star Alliance and should honor their commitments to Star Alliance gold members

The last thing I want to be told after flying 14-16 hours upon arrival to Greece is you cannot enter the Aegean Airlines club lounge so now go roam the halls of Athens International for the next 4 hours.
They followed my post up with a pre-canned response that I'm flying Olympic Air which is not part of Star Alliance and if I have any questions to call their help desk in Athens. Five minutes later they deleted my post entirely. I plan on following up with United Airlines to make them aware of this situation vis a vis club lounge access and baggage fees.

Last edited by Manospeed; Sep 26, 19 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How is your flight marketed? Under an Aegean flight number or under an Olympic flight number? In the USA, the regional affiliate carriers such as Wisconsin Air, SkyWest, Endeavor, Republic, etc. fly under the flight numbers of legacy USA carriers such as UA, DL, AA, and AS in all cases I know, so that the boarding pass would look like a regular UA/DL/AA/AS flight except that the four digit flight number would lie in a certain range.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
The rules around what is Aegean and what is Olympic are quite clear.

Anyone who does not like them is free to make alternative travel arrangements. No one is forced to book anything.

Is it just my perception or is it always United members who have these problems that others do not?
Jma12, cad-spe, tmac100 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
OA is not a *A member, so *G are not entitled to lounge access unless on a J ticket. I understand it can be frustrating but these are the rules... And A3 are not alone in that. Recently I found that as A3*G/SK*G I didn't have access to SEN lounges in FRA when flying Air Dolomiti in J, even though Air Dolomiti are an LH subsidiary, and that segment was a part of a multi city trip booked through LH website... After discussing it with the lounge agent she even told me that I could access the Business lounge only because I was holding a J ticket. Had I been on Y I would have no lounge access at all.

Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
The rules around what is Aegean and what is Olympic are quite clear.
To be honest this is not very clear. It wasn't clear at all the first time I flew them as SK*G (I didn't have A3*G back then). My itinerary was ARN-ATH-RHO, booked through A3's website. Both flights had A3 codes, and the ticket was issued on A3 stock. Even the bird turned out to be A3 metal, with A3 crew. But no lounge access. So I think they need to do a better work communicating that to non-A3 *Gs...
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
It states "Operated by Aegean Airlines" with an OA flight number. I would never book a flight with a non-Star Alliance airline. Aegean Airlines is part of Star Alliance. I went on their website, made a reservation, paid them etc. The airplanes, crews etc. were all Aegean Airlines.

The analogy is you go on the United Airlines website, book a flight, pay United Airlines. UA then states "Flight operated by UA" and issues a Wisconsin Air flight number to you. You go to check your luggage or access the UA club lounge and United says "Sorry, but you're flying Wisconsin Air".

If Aegean Airlines believes they can circumvent its club lounge access and baggage obligations towards Star Alliance gold members on all domestic flights in Greece perhaps they should exit Star Alliance entirely. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
OP
welcome to how the world works.
the rules/conditions stand as published by the airline/lounge operator, regardless of your opinion.

if you are getting stressed by this, then come to Asia and you’ll see the plethora of subsidiaries of star alliance airlines where your gold status is worthless for entering star alliance business lounges.
Just live and learn, and move on....
lhrpete, Jma12, cad-spe and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
OP
welcome to how the world works.
the rules/conditions stand as published by the airline/lounge operator, regardless of your opinion.

if you are getting stressed by this, then come to Asia and you’ll see the plethora of subsidiaries of star alliance airlines where your gold status is worthless for entering star alliance business lounges.
Just live and learn, and move on....
"Stressed out" for having to shell out more money to pay for things I should be receiving free of charge like club lounge access and excess baggage fees?
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Manospeed View Post
"Stressed out" for having to shell out more money to pay for things I should be receiving free of charge like club lounge access and excess baggage fees?
That's the way it is, you can't do anything about it. Life is too short to go on a one-man crusade against an airline!
lhrpete and RCAQ01 like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For this one, I would have expected lounge access as it had the A3 flight number and doesn't seem to have been a codeshare operated by OA. Passengers can't be expected to know the internal contract details between carriers.

Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
OA is not a *A member, so *G are not entitled to lounge access unless on a J ticket. I understand it can be frustrating but these are the rules... And A3 are not alone in that. Recently I found that as A3*G/SK*G I didn't have access to SEN lounges in FRA when flying Air Dolomiti in J, even though Air Dolomiti are an LH subsidiary, and that segment was a part of a multi city trip booked through LH website... After discussing it with the lounge agent she even told me that I could access the Business lounge only because I was holding a J ticket. Had I been on Y I would have no lounge access at all.

To be honest this is not very clear. It wasn't clear at all the first time I flew them as SK*G (I didn't have A3*G back then). My itinerary was ARN-ATH-RHO, booked through A3's website. Both flights had A3 codes, and the ticket was issued on A3 stock. Even the bird turned out to be A3 metal, with A3 crew. But no lounge access. So I think they need to do a better work communicating that to non-A3 *Gs...
Here the OA flight number would cause me to question whether I'd be eligible to use the lounge. I presume it would have been possible to book this flight with an A3 flight number, possibly at a higher fare.

It states "Operated by Aegean Airlines" with an OA flight number. I would never book a flight with a non-Star Alliance airline. Aegean Airlines is part of Star Alliance. I went on their website, made a reservation, paid them etc. The airplanes, crews etc. were all Aegean Airlines.

The analogy is you go on the United Airlines website, book a flight, pay United Airlines. UA then states "Flight operated by UA" and issues a Wisconsin Air flight number to you. You go to check your luggage or access the UA club lounge and United says "Sorry, but you're flying Wisconsin Air".

If Aegean Airlines believes they can circumvent its club lounge access and baggage obligations towards Star Alliance gold members on all domestic flights in Greece perhaps they should exit Star Alliance entirely. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
This reminds me of flying between MSP and IAH back before various mergers, when NW based at MSP and CO based at IAH were close partners. The fine print was that I could use a lounge when departing from MSP when booked on NW metal with a NW flight number and a lounge at IAH when departing on CO metal with a CO flight number, using my AmEx Plat card. So I was forced to tell my PTS travel agent exactly how to book my tickets: Attention to detail.
Old Sep 26, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Not exclusive to A3. I’ve had all sorts of excuses from a number of *A airlines. The worst was trying to use the transit lounge for NZ at LAX. The lounge dragon stated me down and said that “this is a NZ lounge but not a *A lounge”.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Aegean Airlines post came across my Facebook feed so I used this opportunity to write the following:

They followed my post up with a pre-canned response that I'm flying Olympic Air which is not part of Star Alliance and if I have any questions to call their help desk in Athens. Five minutes later they deleted my post entirely. I plan on following up with United Airlines to make them aware of this situation vis a vis club lounge access and baggage fees.
Assume you are frequent star alliance traveller. you must be well aware of the below scenario TG/WE, BR/B7, SQ/MI,
lhrpete, Jma12 and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
yes. stressed out because you think you "should be receiving free of charge" the star alliance lounge access while flying on a non-star alliance flight.
it is fine print, but it is still the reality..

Let it go! Let it go!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
There is an entire megathread on this: Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Yes, Aegean is fully aware of what they're doing.

The grandstanding by Aegean Gold elites in this thread is amusing though. I'm sure a handful would be the first to complain about carriers like Eurowings giving access to UA *G but not them.
intuition, :D!, Manospeed and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
There is an entire megathread on this: Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Yes, Aegean is fully aware of what they're doing.

The grandstanding by Aegean Gold elites in this thread is amusing though. I'm sure a handful would be the first to complain about carriers like Eurowings giving access to UA *G but not them.
It seems like most who COMPLAIN are not from Europe or Asia
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:08 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Not exclusive to A3. I’ve had all sorts of excuses from a number of *A airlines. The worst was trying to use the transit lounge for NZ at LAX. The lounge dragon stated me down and said that “this is a NZ lounge but not a *A lounge”.
it could be true. not every *A airline lounge are *A lounge. *A has contract which states which lounge is for *A.

Search this Thread