Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Has Major Booking Headache, Many Pax Affected

Old Sep 24, 19, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3G

Today checked the credit card statement for upcoming Aegean flights. Lo and behold an online booking on Aegean's website has been billed 3 times. Entries made are two on Sept 18th and one on Sept 21st - all for a single transaction made in the online booking on Sept 12th.. There should only be one debit entry on the credit card on Sept 18th. Notice how it took 6-9 days from transaction date to statement entries.
Phoned the usual Aegean hotline and response was the airline knew of the problem. But it was not their fault. It was the bank they use (National Bank of Greece - NBG).
From the conversation it was clear many passengers are affected if they booked tickets in the period SEPT 12-16, 2019.
NBG had a computer processing (infomatics??) problem of software installed on Aegean's website according to Aegean staff.

The front line staff are doing an excellent job themselves but my perception of Aegean is typical of Greek companies never wishing to take responsibility. I had no idea whose Aegean Airlines banker was until today. Booking online is completely on an Aegean Airlines URL address and the airline does not wish to be responsible for their banker's software error on their website?
I therefore direct to Aegean Airlines SA management the following questions:
Question 1:
Why did Aegean, knowing the problem had occured, NOT contact the customers directly as soon as possible? To be honest and direct to face up to what is a problem in their booking process.
Question 2:
Why is Aegean waiting for customers to contact the airline to declare there is a problem with their credit card statement?
Note: Aegean says it has not been informed how long error entries will take to be reversed and the airline is not responsible.

The phone agent said an email will be sent to passengers who complain with a form to be completed with credit card transaction information that the airline will forward to NBG. That is the extent of its responsibility/liability.

So if you have booked Aegean Airlines in recent weeks just check your credit card statements.

Footnote: I am really, really disappointed in Aegean. They can sometimes be very "greek" in the way they conduct business but until now I have never been truly disappointed.
May I make a bold suggestion as this is not a small issue. AEGEAN should consider to compensate all affected Miles+Bonus members with something to soothe the angst with some bonus tier miles.
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by GeorgieBoy4; Sep 24, 19 at 5:20 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 24, 19, 5:48 am

They can sometimes be very "greek" in the way they conduct business
Can you elaborate please?

Also, it's all about the miles, isn't it?
Old Sep 24, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Booked on Sept 2 and have been billed once (on Sept 2).
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Booked on Sept 2 and have been billed once (on Sept 2).
Same as Xandrios, no extra charges on my single September transaction on Aegean website last week. Purchase was made through my Swedish corporate card, if that matters.

Originally Posted by GeorgieBoy4 View Post
The phone agent said an email will be sent to passengers who complain with a form to be completed with credit card transaction information that the airline will forward to NBG.
How about passengers who may have missed that? Does Aegean get to keep the money? This would be against the most fundamental basic corporate ethics for a firm to cover up this if it is indeed a wide-scale issue they have noticed.

OP, depending on how much you value your future relationship with Aegean you may always as a last resort dispute the redundant transactions through your bank’s website or card issuer, and have Aegean instead do their explaining to Visa or MasterCard. I would nevertheless be a bit patient, and wait to see what happens before resorting to that.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:57 am

There is somekind of computer problem affecting mostly mastercard cards that made transactions (physically or online) in Greece on 14 - 15 September and the amount of the transaction was charged again on 18th September.
The National Bank of Greece should reverse the transactions of 18th September.
I already had 2 transactions from super markets reversed and wait for another one.
East_and_West likes this.

Last edited by Chr04; Sep 24, 19 at 11:03 am
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:36 pm

Supermarkets won't give miles as an apology! Perhaps cheese will be OK!
sokolov likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Supermarkets won't give miles as an apology! Perhaps cheese will be OK!
I don't have any recent transactions in Greek supermarkets, but if any of you guys receive some free cheese that you don't care about please PM me. I have a whole bunch of upcoming intra-European flights on SAS Go in the next couple of weeks, so getting some feta cheese to go doesn't sound bad at all
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3G
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya View Post
Can you elaborate please?

Also, it's all about the miles, isn't it?
Let me reply this way.
1. It is not about the miles. It should be classed as a suggestion for a goodwill gesture. The airline does not guarantee that any error billings will be corrected, as they claim no responsibility. It is not small money involved. So far the airline has said nothing publicly to my knowledge. Talk about possibly shooting itself in the foot over their "Regional Airline of Europe" accolade. Their poor corporate communication reaction - even until now, is questionable.
2. The "Greek" reference. If you have a lot of business contacts with Greeks or stay in Greece for any length of time, you will know the meaning. No offence is meant but non Greeks have to recognise that the Greek mindset can sharply contrast with the expectations from those who are from a non-Mediterranean Europe over major company service standard failures. Of course there are exceptions, but not this time.
3. I have lived in the country for many years. Aegean shoud have been more pro-active in at least sending out a general communication to alert customers that a computer failure had occured and during which period, and offer a course of action if any customer was affected.
As you can see these are my personal comments and experience. Others may not care, but as I pay for air tickets, I do.
Having flown for more than 60 years, I think I know what I am talking about and how to remedy the credit card billing errors. But again why should I have to spend time over a problem not of my own making? The Bank knows when and where the billing errors occured.
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by GeorgieBoy4; Sep 25, 19 at 6:24 am
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:32 am

You miss the point that it wasnt Aegean fault but the bank that handles they payments
Old Sep 25, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
While I agree that it wasn't Aegean's fault - it's their payment processor that made the mistake. So I agree with GeorgieBoy4 that its up to them to resolve.

However... I do believe that the bank would resolve it. Without the customer realising most likely. My expectation is that that would probably have taken a little more time though, and the OP may just have noticed it 'too early'.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:11 am

I've had a similar problem with one of my bookings using my mastercard earlier this year (I think back in May): I got an error at the very last step during the payment process (something like "the xxxx error occurred, please begin the booking process again", had happened to me before as well), but (this time) I saw afterwards that the original ticket, even though not issued, was charged to my card. I called Aegean and they canceled that charge themselves.
Originally Posted by GeorgieBoy4 View Post
2. The "Greek" reference. If you have a lot of business contacts with Greeks or stay in Greece for any length of time, you will know the meaning. No offence is meant but non Greeks have to recognise that the Greek mindset can sharply contrast with the expectations from those who are from a non-Mediterranean Europe over major company service standard failures. Of course there are exceptions, but not this time.
Having spent most of my lifetime in Greece I can verify your reference. However: I assume you count Germany to those considered "non-Mediterranean". Well... I can guarantee you that the same "mindset" is even worse in this western european country (and I come across it daily, pretty much everywhere). I haven't met anyone (at least in terms of companies or the public sector) in nearly 6 years abroad, who actually takes responsibility for their own actions (your case is a very light example, since transactions are carried out in a safe environment, that no Aegean agent can access, not even NBG agents, apart from their programmers, or the programmers of the issuing cards), which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting, coming from that "Mediterranean mindset" myself. My guess is, that people in this country value every cent and every minute of free time (redeeming yourself for your mistakes means more costs to your business and/or less free time) much more than Greeks, who will work overtime and never complain. Feel free to pm me some examples/countries where that ideal (ownership of one's own mistake) is actually valid.

Search this Thread