Apology Email for operations?

Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Apology Email for operations?

Anyone else get this today? The A3 CEO seemed to lay blame heavily of Hellenic ATC for certain recent delays of A3 flights. Anyone know the background of this?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Got it, I was not impacted so don't care much. Only shame they are not giving out some miles lol
RollAnotherFatOne and Laguz like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Got it too, I did not fly A3 in the last couple of months so not impacted. The daily tactical update from Eurocontrol always have, in the last weeks, a warning about capacity issues for several Greek islands.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
In today's world of data analytics, it would have been easier to address this E-Mail to those pax/those mail address owners who actually have taken a flight during a specific time period.

I like AEGEAN. Some airspace restrictions won't dent my loyalty.

Despite their mediocre soft product in business class, I love their catering, their service, and their overall performance.

They're great.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:13 pm

I flew mid-July (HAJ-ATH) and the captain informed us that the (admittedly short) delay was due to the European airspace being overcrowded.
I didn't care that much (in the end I arrived maybe 20-25 min later than planned), but I too got the email (and by asking around I believe everyone has received it). This isn't the first time either, if I am not mistaken, that such an email arrives, I remember reading something similar about strikes every now and then and I think crowded airspace has been "blamed" again for causing delays in the past.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
...{snip}...I remember reading something similar about strikes every now and then and I think crowded airspace has been "blamed" again for causing delays in the past.
Strikes? By whom? What for? Against whom? There are delays in the airspace over Europe, and especially Greece, every single summer I can remember. Whether these are due to Eurocontrol or Greek ATC I have no idea, but I have not heard anything about strikes (yet ).

INFO ADDED LATER: OK, after about an hour of searching, here's the bottom line: air controllers at ATH have decided to not handle more than 23 flights landing per hour from 11:20 am till 19:00 pm. Eurocontrol has been informed of this decision and has issued a "warning". All airlines are affected, but since ATH is the major hub for A3, its planes scheduled to be used for late flights will have already accumulated additional delays from earlier on during the day. This whole thing started soon after the center-right ND party won the general elections a few weeks ago. I will obviously not add any comments of mine as to any reasons for the "go slow" other than saying that the air controllers suggest that the number of personnel should be increased. By the way, flights to/from islands are also affected but, with the exception of those from/to ATH, to a much smaller degree.

Last edited by KLouis; Aug 7, 2019 at 9:08 pm Reason: Info added.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by RCAQ01
Despite their mediocre soft product in business class, I love their catering, their service, and their overall performance.

They're great.
Don't you therefore mean their hard product is mediocre? The things you love are surely the soft product!
giorginho, lhrpete and :D! like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:27 pm

Their business class is the standard European one. As for their fleet, it includes only A32X (plus some turboprops for OA). What would be mediocre about that?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Strikes? By whom? What for? Against whom? There are delays in the airspace over Europe, and especially Greece, every single summer I can remember. Whether these are due to Eurocontrol or Greek ATC I have no idea, but I have not heard anything about strikes (yet ).
The "I remember reading..." part is an obvious reference to past events.
Same goes for the "every now and then" part... Whenever they occur, or at least on a a couple of such occasions, emails from "management" were sent in a similar form. I hope my point is clear now. I wanted to let the OP know that this isn't any "personalized" message or a rarity. Aegean does that, I would say semi-regularly.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In today's world of data analytics, it would have been easier to address this E-Mail to those pax/those mail address owners who actually have taken a flight during a specific time period.
Indeed, but then people who didn't get it and who see mention of it in fora like this would then complain

Originally Posted by N1120A
Anyone else get this today? The A3 CEO seemed to lay blame heavily of Hellenic ATC for certain recent delays of A3 flights. Anyone know the background of this?
It's clearly a circular, so it's a safe bet that it wasn't a personal missive for your eyes only In fact, it's a safe bet that any customers who have provided A3 with their email address and consent to receive unsolicited (marketing) emails would have received it.

And the "background" of this is that air traffic delays cause disruption and congestion all over Europe, particularly in the peak season.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8916791.html
https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37934906.html

Originally Posted by Reuters
Europe airlines brace for another summer of air traffic delays

BRUSSELS, July 10 (Reuters) - European air passengers face another torrid summer of air traffic delays due to a combination of staff shortages, regulatory logjams and perennial strikes, airlines warned on Wednesday.

The head of British Airways owner IAG, Willie Walsh, said delays were increasing carbon emissions, while Ryanair chief executive Michael OLeary bemoaned what he called the lamentable failure of (controllers) to turn up to work.

Airline bosses were speaking at a briefing of lobby group A4E (Airlines for Europe), which called on the incoming European Commission to speed up the delayed Single European Sky project, intended to remove airspace borders and allow shorter routings.

Air traffic management is still dysfunctional in the EU, A4E managing director Thomas Reynaert said.

Between January and June 2019 the number of minutes of flying delays were up 114% compared to 2017, the group said in a statement.
Add to this the latest shenanigans reported above in post 6, and you can see why European airlines tear their hair out in frustration at the patchwork of understaffed and badly-managed air traffic control fiefdoms that hamper travel across Europe.

Here's Eurocontrol's most recent tweet, from 2 hours ago: delays in DUB/LIS/OPO due to weather, but all other issues are operational; staffing issues are impacting several Greek airports, as well as the Karlsruhe and Austria/Hungary/Croatia sectors
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:38 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
INFO ADDED LATER: OK, after about an hour of searching, here's the bottom line: air controllers at ATH have decided to not handle more than 23 flights landing per hour from 11:20 am till 19:00 pm. Eurocontrol has been informed of this decision and has issued a "warning". All airlines are affected, but since ATH is the major hub for A3, its planes scheduled to be used for late flights will have already accumulated additional delays from earlier on during the day. This whole thing started soon after the center-right ND party won the general elections a few weeks ago. I will obviously not add any comments of mine as to any reasons for the "go slow" other than saying that the air controllers suggest that the number of personnel should be increased. By the way, flights to/from islands are also affected but, with the exception of those from/to ATH, to a much smaller degree.
Interesting. That may explain the constant delays I have been running into flying from/to Athens the last months. Many, if not all flights I have been on, suffered from about an hour delay.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I got it. I thought it was just good customer service to stay ahead of the curve and tell people the reasons behind what was happening. ATC all over Europe is overcrowded.

If only BA would be as honest about their IT meltdowns...
headingwest, irishguy28 and DELLAS like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:23 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold

I like AEGEAN. Some airspace restrictions won't dent my loyalty.

They're great.
they want all of us, impacted or not, to know they care about us...
irishguy28, Askin001 and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Communication, even irrelevant communication, is better than no communication at all!
Askin001, GBobon, DELLAS and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:57 am

Totally agree!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.