FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   BCN-ATH-TLV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1979223-bcn-ath-tlv.html)

holocker Jul 19, 2019 12:35 pm

BCN-ATH-TLV

I am looking at a flight that involves a stop and change of planes in Athens from Barcelona Greece to Tel Aviv Israel.
Will I need to reclaim my luggage and recheck?
Will I need to go thru passport control?

irishguy28 Jul 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 31321334)
Barcelona Greece

:D :D :D

At least outside of the US, just "Barcelona" is typically enough to indicate the correct location!

Will I need to reclaim my luggage and recheck?

If you are buying all travel on Aegean on a single ticket/in a single transaction, then no you won't have to reclaim and recheck your luggage, as it will be checked through to your final destination..

If you are buying all travel on Aegean on a single ticket/in a single transaction, then you can remain airside. Note that for Israel there are likely to be additional security and passport checks prior to boarding.

lhrpete Jul 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes, you will be leaving the Schengen Area at ATH.

Knobbgb Jul 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lhrpete (Post 31321570)
Yes, you will be leaving the Schengen Area at ATH.

...so, you'll arrive at ATH in the same way a domestic passenger would - no passport formalities. I assume from your profile you are a US citizen and so must have a Shengen visa. This covers you to enter Greece from Spain with no passport check. You will then have to leave the secure area, go upstairs and clear passport control (and security) to leave Schengen for your TLV flight. There are no airside transfers between the two areas at ATH unfortunately.

holocker Jul 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Do I need a visa to transit through Athens airport?

keisari Jul 19, 2019 10:48 pm

If you are a US passport holder you do not need visa to enter Schengen area
You fly the equivalent of a domestic flight between Barcelona and Athens
In Athens, if you do not need to collect your bags (because you are flying with the same airline through), then you proceed to do immigration to leave the Schengen area and then proceed to your gate to TLV. I am sure there is some kind of security check before boarding the flight to TLV.

keisari Jul 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 31322020)
. I assume from your profile you are a US citizen and so must have a Shengen visa.

If the OP has indeed a US passport then there is no Schengen visa requirement if he is staying less than 90 days.

Xandrios Jul 20, 2019 3:07 am

It doesn't really matter for this trip. The OP will be arriving from a Schengen country, so there will be no Schengen visa check upon arrival in ATH at all. If the OP were to not have the rights to enter Schengen, that would already have blocked him in Barcelona or earlier.

What may be an issue at ATH is the VISA requirements to enter Israel. I have no clue about the requirements for US citizens but it may be worth looking up.

Knobbgb Jul 20, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31322798)
If the OP has indeed a US passport then there is no Schengen visa requirement if he is staying less than 90 days.

There you go, I learned something I really aught to have known already. All my American friends either stay longer than 90 days or are here as students, hence the confusion, sorry.

What may be an issue at ATH is the VISA requirements to enter Israel
And, to be honest, he probably wouldn't even be allowed to check-in at BCN if that were going to be an issue.

holocker Jul 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Checked Israel Visa requirements and only need a Visa if staying for more than 90 days. My 2 best flight options are either this flight or a nonstop on Norweigian.

TPJ Jul 22, 2019 2:39 am

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 31324855)
Checked Israel Visa requirements and only need a Visa if staying for more than 90 days. My 2 best flight options are either this flight or a nonstop on Norweigian.

Norwegian? You know what their financial situation is? I hope they will survive, but they have been losing money for a few years now. Their MAX'es are grounded, so cancelations might happen. They do not have any interline agreements, so if you are stranded you are stranded. Think Spirit with complimentary Wi-Fi :D

During IROPS, A3 can reroute you onto any legacy airline. If you are 'A Gold you will get all published benefits.