Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

"European Cross-Border" earnings - is TLV in "Europe"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I was wondering if a LH flight FRA-TLV is considered European cross-border or international for earnings purposes? I know Aegean considers TLV to be in Europe for redemption purposes - does that translate into only 1,250 miles if crediting a paid Y ticket? Thanks!

Last edited by yonatan; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:17 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
With LH much depends on the booking class, if you have that someone will help.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
With LH much depends on the booking class, if you have that someone will help.
Not exactly true! The M+B earnings can be seen in three categories (domestic, i.e. Germany, Europe and international, i.e. long haul). The OP is correct in his question. For example, one-way FRA-TLV in Y would yield 1250 miles if TLV is considered to be "Europe" while it would yield 2760 miles if considered to be international. Mind you, I can't help either as I don't know the answer to that...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by yonatan
I know Aegean considers TLV to be in Europe for redemption purposes
This is incorrect; Aegean assigns Israel to "North Africa" and does not consider it to be part of Europe.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
M+M considers it to be outside of Europe, i.e. miles are computer based on distance.
Just checked that using the M+M app.
​​​​​
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is incorrect; Aegean assigns Israel to "North Africa" and does not consider it to be part of Europe.
Indeed - and they consider FNC and the Canary Islands to be Central & South Africa - that makes FNC a very long way from LIS! Even more crazy, Melilla is in Central & South Africa too. Does someone in Athens need a geography lesson?

While I agree that the original question does depend on whether TLV is Europe or long haul - LH certainly operate is with their NEK fleet, a lot with LH does come down to the booking class.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
M+M considers it to be outside of Europe, i.e. miles are computer based on distance.
Just checked that using the M+M app.
​​​​​
Miles & More is a different programme. If you're earning in Aegean's Miles+Bonus, it is the T&Cs of Miles+Bonus that apply, not those of M+M
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
The answer is "International": for a Lufthansa TLV->MUC flight, M fare, I got 1648 "Tier Miles" last November.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Miles & More is a different programme. If you're earning in Aegean's Miles+Bonus, it is the T&Cs of Miles+Bonus that apply, not those of M+M
Of course I know that. I'm not stupid. So hear me out.

​​My experience is that when it comes to earnings, the operating airline's FFP is a very very good indicator.
Honestly, I have no idea what info LH gives to A3/M+B when miles are credited but I know the following:
- SQ26 FRA-JFK in W (back when it gave 100%) lead to a credit of 3,847 miles which is exactly the distance SQ uses when crediting to Krisflyer
- LH404 FRA-JFK in N (which also gives 100%) lead to a credit of 3,837 miles which (once again) is the distance LH uses for credits to M+M

Call me crazy, but there is more going on than LH just telling A3 that the flight was from FRA to JFK.
I think that LH computes the miles for A3, based on the agreements they have.
Therefore, it matters what LH considers Europe.
And to figure that out, M+M is a very good starting point.

Obviously, an alternative explanation can be that LH send over the routing as well as what they think the distance is.

This is something that has been going through my head for quite some time now, since it seems so odd that LH and SQ give different miles on the same route.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course I know that. I'm not stupid. So hear me out.

​​My experience is that when it comes to earnings, the operating airline's FFP is a very very good indicator.
In the field of FFPs, where the earning rates are typically at “standardized” rates (100%, 50%, 150%, 200%, etc) of the IATA mileage between that airport pair, there will be lots of FFPs that “agree” on the mileage for a certain subset of routes - but this is not always consistent and therefore cannot be assumed.

As such, while the “faulty logic” of checking what the operating airline would award for a given flight turns out to give the correct answer in this case, the logic used to arrive at the correct answer is wrong.

Obviously, an alternative explanation can be that LH send over the routing as well as what they think the distance is.
There is no need for airlines to send redundant information around like that. As all *A airlines report mileage earning flights via Starnet, and as all airlines use the IATA-provided Ticketed Point Mileage between each city pair, none of the airlines need to worry about what they think the distance is.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:21 am

I had a C-class with LH MUC-TLV in June, and it credited according to the distance flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.