Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 and their ridiculous fares, I have had it....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 and their ridiculous fares, I have had it....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by hugolover
I’m sure we will all be surprised that FQTS and FQTV is supported again on LH group! It’s been years and years and years since that worked. You’d have to go back to Pictures.

I’d be willing to bet at no point did your booking have two FFPs entered in there. All that happened was the barcode was issued on your BP and it is encoded with your A3 status, then they swapped it over. You don’t need to ask agents for any of that. You can do it on LH.com.

By the way, since when did LH group charge for exit row at OLCI? It’s free for everyone...
This thread is primarily about 'A3 and their ridiculous fares....'. Reporting what seats I got today on OS for free is therefore highly relevant since all the victims who continue flying A3 have to pay for upfront seats and even more for exit row seats. It is not popular to say it here but LH Group is currently offering a far better and more cost-effective service than Aegean. I can assure you that two FFP codes can be entered on the LH system - I have played this game of swapping around FFP numbers on LH.com for a long time and am not a FFP novice. Last year, I earned and used more than 500,000 miles. Recently, M&M refused to retrospectively credit me with miles on two K class OS sectors which I flew using my A3*G card.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're never entering two FFP codes though. They are not simultaneously in the booking. FQTV and FQTS is long dead but as you point out, it doesn't matter its dead as you are still able to get into a lounge using A3*G and credit your cheap K and L fares to M&M. The suggestion by other members to leave it and then retroclaim is easier. Plus, you won't be on the pursers PIL as a "premium" A3*G member.

If what you say is true, come back and show is your bookings with TWO numbers entered as FQTV and FQTS. If however, you mean you can change number, then you can do it for as many times as there are Star carriers. The LH system will let you swap it as many times as you like. You get into the lounge, every time, because the system reads the barcode of the BP. In other words, I could issue a BP with an A3*G entered at the time of completing OLCI and the LH BP showing "Priority" then I could change it 26 times via LH.com or via the desk and the original barcode would still let you in because it is encoded that way. The system the LH staff use does an offline read of the BP. It doesn't check the Star database every single time someone enters a lounge. Unless the staff pull up the booking on an Altea terminal, they will not see the 26 lines of changing FQTV.

M&M regularly fails to credit members who are even SEN and HON because its "already credited". That's nothing new. Their IT is crap.

In the same sentence did you point out that you got a free seat in the preferred zone (which is not the exit row btw) you then said the exit row is free of charge. It was reasonable to point out that the preferred zone, which is a Star Gold, SEN and HON privilege is not the same as the exit row, which is free for everyone at OLCI. Btw, the second exit row on an A320 is charged as standard ASR.

The seat blocking is highly complex on LH. An A3*G does not have the same PCV as SEN or HON and anyway, Altea will by default, fill the cabin on a narrow body 2-2 and then start allocating middle seats plus weight and balance. It makes sense that way. In other words, what is often reported as seat blocking, is actually just the seating logic.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DELLAS

I know your having a bit of a rant and we are all entitled to that from time to time but A3 still offer a very decent product and FF program compared to LH.
I can vouch for that comment, being an LH SEN & A3 Gold.

I keep my A3 status for OA flights as well as for lower-price redemption for some combinations, and LH for F redemption on LH/LX but also because some fares work out better being credited to M&M than M&B even after taking into account the difference in burn rate. (By the way, I'm a "real" A3/OA flyer, rather than 'there just for easy status'.)

Product-wise, while I have gripes about insufficient food quantity on A3 domestic flights in J (esp. compared to TK), I still think they are more than decent in terms of soft products. Which other airlines in Europe give you hot meals in Y on short sectors like OTP-ATH, or have an espresso machine on most short haul jets?

I'd say, if a frequent flyer programme or an airline doesn't suit your needs, the best option is to vote with your feet and use another carrier/programme.

In terms of A3 fares, I generally find them pretty reasonable! I'm used to paying €600-700 for return 45 minute flights in J elsewhere though.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm used to paying €600-700 for return 45 minute flights in J elsewhere though.
Is that per segment, or per month? Is it a timeshare?

So, who pays for the lounge, we never learned for sure, still a mystery....?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
.....So, who pays for the lounge, we never learned for sure, still a mystery....?
And the discussion of angels dancing continues.

FWIW, next time in MCT, I will pay for anyone's lounge access into the WY lounge! Anyone! BUT, since I know that reciprocity is rewarding, that individual with paid-for WY access can pay for me. 😉

There! Question answered 🤔

A serious offer - PM me if interested, or if you'd prefer accessing the Prime Lounge instead.....
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Is that per segment, or per month? Is it a timeshare?

So, who pays for the lounge, we never learned for sure, still a mystery....?
Per return, i.e. two segments.

As for who pays for the lounge, I've no idea of the context but I did pay for entry into a lounge once some years ago somewhere - I think it was IST - because it was cheaper than data roaming and there was no public Wifi but there was wifi in the lounge.

Or if it's about which carrier pays for lounge access (e.g. "when flying LH in Y and you are A3 Gold, who pays for your lounge access"), I've no idea about Star Alliance arrangement. If it's anything like OW, it can be a combination both the operating carrier and the one whose credential you are using.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:48 am

When the requalification requirements were applied, an A3 contact told me that one of the reasons that they enforced the 12K + 4 segements (or 24K) was that they were seeing "charges" for lounge access in all over the world. I quote "charges", because as someone else said, airlines do not actually pay each other but they try to counterbalance these.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
When the requalification requirements were applied, an A3 contact told me that one of the reasons that they enforced the 12K + 4 segements (or 24K) was that they were seeing "charges" for lounge access in all over the world. I quote "charges", because as someone else said, airlines do not actually pay each other but they try to counterbalance these.
You guys went crazy gorging on the soup and the cheese cubes in the United lounges, you couldn't help yourselves, did you?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:22 am

You guys went crazy gorging on the soup and the cheese cubes in the United lounges, you couldn't help yourselves, did you?
AND the maple syrup at the MLL lounges across Canada to be honest...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Don't forget the chocolate chip cookies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.