Wiki Posts
Search

How to find B or Y fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
How to find B or Y fares?

Hi all, I'd like to use some M&M miles which will expire soon to upgrade some A3 flights, however those must be either B or Y fares. I've checked a lot of combinations on A3's website and I could not find any B/Y economy tickets. Any idea how to find those fares? Do they still exist? Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:00 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I think you need to call to get a quote and book.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Those are the two most expensive booking classes.
A round-trip FRA-ATH in B costs about 800€ in July and is thus only 80€ less expensive than booking business class right away.

Oftentimes it might even be cheaper to book business class.
Can't you use the miles to book a flight rather than upgrade one?
East_and_West likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You could always find the fare information on matrix.itasoftware.com and then book via Priceline if you want specifically 'Y' and 'B' fares.
However, as Chiller3333 suggested, a Business Class ticket could be much cheaper than a 'Y' or 'B' fare class ticket.
East_and_West and jumpallover like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
As others wrote above, using miles to upgrade a *A flight seldom offers a good value-for-money/value-for-miles. You get to pay for a relatively expensive Economy ticket, you have to pay taxes and fees anyway, and the required mileage is about 80% (if not higher) of that required to get an award in Business in the first place.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jumpallover
Hi all, I'd like to use some M&M miles which will expire soon to upgrade some A3 flights, however those must be either B or Y fares.
This is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

If you genuinely can't find a use for these M&M miles that doesn't require you to buy a costly B/Y ticket (you would probably be able to buy a discount business class fare for less than the price of an economy B/Y ticket) then just let the miles die.

See this example: You end up paying more than 4 times the current cheapest fare just to get a "B" fare. You could buy a business class ticket outright for just €8 more. Is that really a good use of the miles?
If you bought a "Y" ticket, you end up paying far more than the current cheapest-available business class ticket.
Attached Images  
jumpallover likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
Great! Thanks for the answers, now I understand why I could not find those fares
I'll just buy exchange those miles for some sort of coupons!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jumpallover
Great! Thanks for the answers, now I understand why I could not find those fares
I'll just buy exchange those miles for some sort of coupons!
only BR has good Y,B fare as far as I know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.