Upgrades

Old Jun 9, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Upgrades

Hi I am in the process of changing my FFP from AIRNZ to A3 and am currently A3 Silver .Will complete my A3 Gold qualification in a couple of months so will be flying a quite a few A3 sectors. In the main have booked Go Lite fares that are UPT and I am aware that they are not generally able to be upgraded to biz using vouchers. However my inbox is currently being bombarded with offers of the upgrade challange for those Go Lite fares so I assume the UPT rule does not apply in this case.

I have my current silver x 2 upgrade vouchers and couple of the flights i have booked are Flex so would be upgrageable. I had read somewhere that with upgraded flights the underlying fare does not allways credit to the accounnt requiring a retro claim. As I am aiming to align my anniversary date with my partner who is A3 gold, am thinking that maybe prudent to just stay with the economoy fare realising that will lose the silver uprades.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:24 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, TK Gold
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
However my inbox is currently being bombarded with offers of the upgrade challange for those Go Lite fares so I assume the UPT rule does not apply in this case.
These are offers to make bets on upgrades for money. They are not related to your upgrade vouchers and their rules.
Old Jun 9, 19, 11:30 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
For all of my upgraded flights so far I have received the credit f the underlying economy fare. In a few cases I had to retro-claim, delaying the crediting about 2 weeks, although that has not been needed for a long time. The last year or so everything credited automatically for me.

The one thing to be careful with is crediting to another programme than M&B. Then you will likely not receive any miles for these flights.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
I had read somewhere that with upgraded flights the underlying fare does not allways credit to the accounnt requiring a retro claim. As I am aiming to align my anniversary date with my partner who is A3 gold, am thinking that maybe prudent to just stay with the economoy fare realising that will lose the silver uprades.
Any advise would be appreciated.
It shouldn't make any difference really (except the addes 'stress'). If you have to retro-claim the flights will still credit to the original dates of the flights, not later. Adding to what Xandrios said above, I HAVE had to retro-claim my last upgraded flight (back in January) but they did seem to be working automatically before that. I guess it's still a bit inconsistent. One point to note (if it matters to you) - if you successfully use 'Upgrade Challenge', you don't receive Business-class points for the flight - just what you would originally have earned, even though you paid for the upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:52 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
One point to note (if it matters to you) - if you successfully use 'Upgrade Challenge', you don't receive Business-class points for the flight - just what you would originally have earned, even though you paid for the upgrade.
I think they raised the prices for seat selection and luggage recently. Maybe that applies only during the summer season (certainly luggage prices are higher during summer). While we can observe that almost every choice during a flight is/will be purchasable (seats, luggage, future: food), there is no incentive in the form of award and status miles. The prices for the flighs may have dropped a little but the overall cost for a common traveller with luggage has risen. Why don't airlines compensate the higher price with more miles?
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:06 am

Revenue-based FFP... be careful what you wish for
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Arrivals View Post
I think they raised the prices for seat selection and luggage recently. Maybe that applies only during the summer season (certainly luggage prices are higher during summer). While we can observe that almost every choice during a flight is/will be purchasable (seats, luggage, future: food), there is no incentive in the form of award and status miles. The prices for the flighs may have dropped a little but the overall cost for a common traveller with luggage has risen. Why don't airlines compensate the higher price with more miles?
Well, with status those things aren't really an issue (except the seat if you absolutely HAVE to have them). I've never paid for a checked bag with A3, nor for a seat. Food isn't chargeable so that's not an issue either - your 'yet' is a little unfair as buy-on-board hasn't even been hinted at, I don't think. So, for me personally, cheaper flights with more paid add-ons just means I get a BETTER deal - i.e. those non-status pax. pay a little extra to subsidise my free bag and lounge access! (Lets face it, they're happy too, or they would have booked with another airline). I agree, an extra 50 or 100 points if someone pays for a bag or a seat would be fairer, but I do also agree with 'bearchemist' - a revenue-based system would not favour most of us. Don't get me wrong - I'm probably a FFP's worst nightmare - I absolutely maximise my benefits for the lowest possible cost. I'm 100% certain Aegean have never made a single cent profit out of me. I think that's OK though - we're all here basically to get something for nothing aren't we? In return I expect the airline to make things more difficult and only give as much as they feel they need to to make the program worthwhile overall. I won't blame Aegean or complain when they finally weed me out with changes to the program. It's like a game of chess really, only I can't see who the losers are right now - A3 are doing "well", they have lots of happy customers and a popular, presumably profit-boosting FFP too.
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
Point of clarification on these upgrade vouchers, as they don't make it clear anywhere on the A3 site: Are the upgrades good for a single leg, or a connecting flight, or round trip?
Old Jun 22, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
One voucher per leg.
Old Jun 23, 19, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
One voucher per leg.
True.

I remember tho, the first summer they were applied, I got to upgrade a ridiculously-cheap P domestic-ath-europe trip with 1 coupon... Good old (naive) times!

Search this Thread