Gold Mileage Run -> 9,000 miles

Old Jun 5, 19, 3:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SZG/MUC
Posts: 345
Gold Mileage Run -> 9,000 miles

Hi FTers!

I need 9,000 miles to get to Gold and would like to ask your advice for a cost-effective MR.

Here is the lowdown:
Base Airport: SZG, MUC or VIE
Travel Period: Between July and mid-November 2019
No A3 segments needed
No destination preferences
Preferably one (max. two) trip

The best I can find is MUC-EWR-MUC (via OSL/CPH) with SK in Go (mid-October) which would net around 8,900 miles. Price: ca. 500€

This seems like the best deal I'm going to get.

But maybe someone has a better/more creative suggestion?

Last edited by QFBoy; Jun 5, 19 at 3:58 pm
QFBoy is offline  
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 369
That's definitely a good deal.
Generally, what may also be good is flying on OS in booking class Z.
I think RailJet segments also give miles when they carry an OS flight number.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
For around 500 euros you could also go to South Africa, Cape Town or Joburg from Vienna on Ethiopian and earn plenty of miles past 9k. There are probably other African destinations that would earn enough at a similar price but I haven't checked them all.
Has the bonus of no (or 1) time zone changes, could be some october/november sunshine before the european winter bites, and assuming you aren't doing an immediate turn around, even across 2/3 days SA prices vs NYC prices for hotel food experiences...
Stewie Mac, QFBoy and tmac100 like this.
greenarmy is offline  
Old Jun 5, 19, 5:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 8,396
SAS has cheap deals from Europe to USA and USA to Europe. I have also found a €599-€649 deal for the dates I wish to travel where the direct flights are €1200-€1300. SAS Go K and L fare classes map to %100 in Aegean M&B so go for that.

And if possible, go to SFO to maximize miles. It would be around the same price.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: Star Gold
Posts: 4,233
You don't have to do long-haul. SK A-class via ARN or OSL somewhere should suffice. Either to southern Europe with one change like below which can be done in less than 24h and should give you 10k+ miles (didn't check availability):


Or include an extra stop in CPH both ways and use the extra 2400 miles to travel somewhere closer.
QFBoy likes this.
Gnopps is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 5,417
I'd try to go for European business on OS. You'll get 2000 miles per segment, cost should be <500 euro and it would be more comfortable than going long-haul in economy..
QFBoy, DELLAS and tmac100 like this.
Xandrios is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I'd try to go for European business on OS. You'll get 2000 miles per segment, cost should be <500 euro and it would be more comfortable than going long-haul in economy..
Until you find it's booked into P class and you get 750 miles or it's an LX code share and you get 500 miles or an LH code share in P class and you get nothing.

Z class gives you 1250 miles per segment but you need C or D to get 2000.
Dover2Golf is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
Z class gives you 1250 miles per segment but you need C or D to get 2000.
On OS Z gives 1,000 on domestic and 2,000 on European cross border routes.
Obviously one has to make sure that the flights are operated by OS, but that's always sth to keep in mind.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 7:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
On OS Z gives 1,000 on domestic and 2,000 on European cross border routes.
Obviously one has to make sure that the flights are operated by OS, but that's always sth to keep in mind.
As above, it depends on the booking class, C & D do, P doesn't.
Dover2Golf is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 369

C,D,J,Z on Austrian Airlines give 2,000.
Which is exactly what I said earlier
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:01 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SZG/MUC
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
That's definitely a good deal.
Generally, what may also be good is flying on OS in booking class Z.
I think RailJet segments also give miles when they carry an OS flight number.
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I'd try to go for European business on OS. You'll get 2000 miles per segment, cost should be <500 euro and it would be more comfortable than going long-haul in economy..
I thought that OS might be an option but flying from MUC/SZG is usually very expensive. I haven't been able to find any itineraries around 500 without repositioning to a different airport.
QFBoy is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:04 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SZG/MUC
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
You don't have to do long-haul. SK A-class via ARN or OSL somewhere should suffice. Either to southern Europe with one change like below which can be done in less than 24h and should give you 10k+ miles (didn't check availability):


Or include an extra stop in CPH both ways and use the extra 2400 miles to travel somewhere closer.
This is amazing! Thank you! Will definitely look into it. Cost-effective and efficient!

Originally Posted by greenarmy View Post
For around 500 euros you could also go to South Africa, Cape Town or Joburg from Vienna on Ethiopian and earn plenty of miles past 9k. There are probably other African destinations that would earn enough at a similar price but I haven't checked them all.
Has the bonus of no (or 1) time zone changes, could be some october/november sunshine before the european winter bites, and assuming you aren't doing an immediate turn around, even across 2/3 days SA prices vs NYC prices for hotel food experiences...
Thanks for the advice! I didn't even know that Ethiopian flights earned so well! And South Africa is always worth a visit!
QFBoy is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: GVA
Programs: A3 *G, LX *S, AF *S
Posts: 502
Same advise: I did several times GVA - ARN - ATH in SK Plus, which was 9000+ miles for around 600 EUR.
Carpacchio is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 2:10 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by Carpacchio View Post
Same advise: I did several times GVA - ARN - ATH in SK Plus, which was 9000+ miles for around 600 EUR.
You mean RT, right?
East_and_West is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 72
Yes he means round trip, that is the only way to reach 9k
Anubis13 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: