Gold Mileage Run -> 9,000 miles

Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Gold Mileage Run -> 9,000 miles

Hi FTers!

I need 9,000 miles to get to Gold and would like to ask your advice for a cost-effective MR.

Here is the lowdown:
Base Airport: SZG, MUC or VIE
Travel Period: Between July and mid-November 2019
No A3 segments needed
No destination preferences
Preferably one (max. two) trip

The best I can find is MUC-EWR-MUC (via OSL/CPH) with SK in Go (mid-October) which would net around 8,900 miles. Price: ca. 500€

This seems like the best deal I'm going to get.

But maybe someone has a better/more creative suggestion?

Last edited by QFBoy; Jun 5, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
That's definitely a good deal.
Generally, what may also be good is flying on OS in booking class Z.
I think RailJet segments also give miles when they carry an OS flight number.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:44 pm

For around 500 euros you could also go to South Africa, Cape Town or Joburg from Vienna on Ethiopian and earn plenty of miles past 9k. There are probably other African destinations that would earn enough at a similar price but I haven't checked them all.
Has the bonus of no (or 1) time zone changes, could be some october/november sunshine before the european winter bites, and assuming you aren't doing an immediate turn around, even across 2/3 days SA prices vs NYC prices for hotel food experiences...
Stewie Mac, QFBoy and tmac100 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
SAS has cheap deals from Europe to USA and USA to Europe. I have also found a €599-€649 deal for the dates I wish to travel where the direct flights are €1200-€1300. SAS Go K and L fare classes map to %100 in Aegean M&B so go for that.

And if possible, go to SFO to maximize miles. It would be around the same price.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
You don't have to do long-haul. SK A-class via ARN or OSL somewhere should suffice. Either to southern Europe with one change like below which can be done in less than 24h and should give you 10k+ miles (didn't check availability):

Or include an extra stop in CPH both ways and use the extra 2400 miles to travel somewhere closer.
QFBoy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'd try to go for European business on OS. You'll get 2000 miles per segment, cost should be <500 euro and it would be more comfortable than going long-haul in economy..
QFBoy, DELLAS and tmac100 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'd try to go for European business on OS. You'll get 2000 miles per segment, cost should be <500 euro and it would be more comfortable than going long-haul in economy..
Until you find it's booked into P class and you get 750 miles or it's an LX code share and you get 500 miles or an LH code share in P class and you get nothing.

Z class gives you 1250 miles per segment but you need C or D to get 2000.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Z class gives you 1250 miles per segment but you need C or D to get 2000.
On OS Z gives 1,000 on domestic and 2,000 on European cross border routes.
Obviously one has to make sure that the flights are operated by OS, but that's always sth to keep in mind.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
On OS Z gives 1,000 on domestic and 2,000 on European cross border routes.
Obviously one has to make sure that the flights are operated by OS, but that's always sth to keep in mind.
As above, it depends on the booking class, C & D do, P doesn't.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:43 am

C,D,J,Z on Austrian Airlines give 2,000.
Which is exactly what I said earlier
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
That's definitely a good deal.
Generally, what may also be good is flying on OS in booking class Z.
I think RailJet segments also give miles when they carry an OS flight number.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I thought that OS might be an option but flying from MUC/SZG is usually very expensive. I haven't been able to find any itineraries around 500€ without repositioning to a different airport.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gnopps
You don't have to do long-haul. SK A-class via ARN or OSL somewhere should suffice. Either to southern Europe with one change like below which can be done in less than 24h and should give you 10k+ miles (didn't check availability):

Or include an extra stop in CPH both ways and use the extra 2400 miles to travel somewhere closer.
This is amazing! Thank you! Will definitely look into it. Cost-effective and efficient!

Originally Posted by greenarmy
For around 500 euros you could also go to South Africa, Cape Town or Joburg from Vienna on Ethiopian and earn plenty of miles past 9k. There are probably other African destinations that would earn enough at a similar price but I haven't checked them all.
Has the bonus of no (or 1) time zone changes, could be some october/november sunshine before the european winter bites, and assuming you aren't doing an immediate turn around, even across 2/3 days SA prices vs NYC prices for hotel food experiences...
Thanks for the advice! I didn't even know that Ethiopian flights earned so well! And South Africa is always worth a visit!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Same advise: I did several times GVA - ARN - ATH in SK Plus, which was 9000+ miles for around 600 EUR.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Same advise: I did several times GVA - ARN - ATH in SK Plus, which was 9000+ miles for around 600 EUR.
You mean RT, right?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:01 am

Yes he means round trip, that is the only way to reach 9k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.