Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Hotel site (booking.com) failing to complete bookings

Old May 30, 19, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador

At the moment I am unable to make any hotel bookings via Aegean's website (a wrapper for booking.com with referral tracking).

It fails on the payment stage. Whatever credit card I put in it is rejected with the message: "Sorry, we have not been able to take your payment. Please try using a different credit card or PayPal."

The problem is I've tried over half a dozen different credit cards, and they are all rejected. I've closed the browser, logged out and logged in again, switched to incognito etc., and none of it makes any difference. I simply can't complete any booking because the payment card is always rejected.
I've never experienced this problem before. Is anyone else having similar issues?
Old May 31, 19, 3:07 am

Programs: A3 Silver, TK Gold
Try to book from another device or from your friends. Most likely you are blocked by the antifraud of booking.com.
This is not an Aegean problem.
You can also call the booking.com to clarify the reasons.
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michael Nikishin View Post
Try to book from another device or from your friends. Most likely you are blocked by the antifraud of booking.com.
This is not an Aegean problem.
You can also call the booking.com to clarify the reasons.
It's truly bizarre.

1) I rang booking.com and they said there's no block on my account. I tried logging in with a different email (no genius discount) and this gave the same error.
2) I rang my CC providers and all of them confirmed that there is no block on my card(s). They do not even see attempted transactions (so the pre-authorisation is not getting through to them).
3) I tried a Guest booking where you don't even log in but just provide an email on the payment page (I entered an email address that was never used before for bookings). It failed with the same error.
4) I tried booking on various other devices and mobile devices including two iPhones and two iPads (I'm a bit of a collector!). All attempts failed.

When I called back to booking.com with all this info the guy finally admitted that they don't have a clue. In the end he suggested that I should book elsewhere as they don't know how to fix my problem.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:53 pm

An incident.
when i try to book hotels in spain with visa electron it is always rejected from the hotels because the Spanish banking system doesn't allow to charge a visa electron without the physical presence of the card
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:28 pm

This could very well be a problem with the payments provider used by Booking throwing an error. Given that all your credit cards are failing the same way and not even hitting your bank, this appears to be the most likely cause.

It could just as well be a bad code rollout (but that is a bit less likely at the time of posting).
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S
I had a similar issue once when trying to by miles for M&B - all my credit cards were refused by Aegean. When I called them, I gave them my number and it went through then.
I observed that it was a different provider (Bank ?) mentioned in the error message compared to the one where you by regular tickets (where I never had any problems with my cards). So maybe a similar issue ?
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I've done a bit more research and one suspect is 3DS (3D secure) processing. This seems a possible culprit when the payment fails but it is never seen by the bank or CC provider. So that could be a coding error on Booking.com's side. Note that I didn't just try it via Aegean, I tried it through the normal site (both logged in and also logged out as a guest booking) and via the mobile apps.

There's also the PayPal option but I'm less of a fan as the money is taken immediately (and any subsequent refund may result in another FX conversion), in addition to losing Section 75 protection... and the ability to earn points.

I've now switched to Agoda, which is working fine. I prefer their interface in fact but the only problem is that a lot of the private apartments are only listed on Booking or Airbnb (which is always pricier and with worse payment terms).

Search this Thread