Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Earn according to codeshare carrier not operating carrier?

Old May 14, 19, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Hullo, I'm sure I know the answer to this, but having recently got a couple of things wrong I wanted to double check... if I book a codeshare on a miles-earning airline (in this case UA on L/T fares etc) which is operated by an airline which doesn't earn (in this case LX/LH, same fare classes), then I'm ok, right? I earn along the lines of the codeshare carrier not the operating carrier?
Old May 14, 19, 6:00 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Yes, correct - obviously providing you're confident that's the way the codeshare bucket maps.

The easiest ones to decipher are where all classes in a particular cabin earn the same, so AC Business for example - where Lufthansa P class will map to a (currently) 2x earning bucket on AC.

Most other things, particularly in Y, work out more by luck than judgment!

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 14, 19 at 8:19 am
Old May 14, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Operating carrier counts. Booking a UA codeshare operated by LH/LX in a low booking class (K,L,T) give you exactly 0 miles.
Old May 14, 19, 8:18 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Oops, sorry - I misread the intention here. So, whilst my explanation is correct, the first sentence is complete baloney!

Chiller3333 is absolutely correct here - it's the metal that counts, so if you map to a non-earning class on the operating carrier you earn zero.

In the LH to AC example I gave, it works the other way in your favour. Caveat Emptor ...
Old May 14, 19, 12:40 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
But bear in mind that not always the booking class match the one from operating carrier! for eg my UA K mapped as AC A (AC was the operating carrier)
Old May 15, 19, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Oh, thanks all. Very glad I checked... is there any way to figure out how the codes map over in economy? I may well just end up taking a UA flight to EWR instead at this rate... although JFK saves me an hour's drive at the other end...

Last edited by Wingnut; May 15, 19 at 2:59 am
Old May 15, 19, 4:55 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
No there are no real way, except if you find someone recently having a similar ticket in the same fare. There are no real logic to it.
Old May 15, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
There definitely is a logic to it - however we have no insight into what that logic is. Unfortunately these rules are part of agreements between airlines and not public to us.

So the only way to get an idea would be to (In order of reliability):
- Buy the ticket, check, and cancel if not to your liking (assuming fare rules allow to cancel)
- Find somebody who recently purchased the same flight/fare and have him/her check
- Lookup the same flight by the operating carrier, and find the fare that comes closest to the codeshare price.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 11:57 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
@Wingnut, check out this thread, you migh find something there: Wrong booking class credited [Air Canada Y domestic/NA earnings cut]

Search this Thread