Business class award flights

Old May 9, 19, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Business class award flights

Hello there
I have try to find J class tickets from Europe to Asia with Aegean miles and bonus but it looks Singapore Airlines never has an open award seat available
last year you could easily find flits through Istanbul or Milan, thatís not the case anymore
I have tried 6 months in advance not pick season and nothing, only TK is available or Asiana and some times EVA air SWISS and LH but never ever SINGAPORE AIRLINES
Whats wrong?
Old May 9, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: A3 Gold
SQ typically only releases long-haul premium cabin award space to members of their own frequent flyer program KrisFlyer. Sometimes award space is also released to partners, but this is more of an exception rather than the norm.
jannosk likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
You can usually get SQ with M&M but no other European programme.

Eva is IMO much better than SQ these days and would be my first choice heading that way, Asiana seats are also better than SQ and the crew more personable too, food is OK but EVA is better.

SQ is trading on past glory and is really pretty mediocre. They are never my first choice these days even though I'm a lifetime top tier with them.
DELLAS, jannosk and yurtripper like this.
Old May 9, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
You can usually get SQ with M&M but no other European programme.

Eva is IMO much better than SQ these days and would be my first choice heading that way, Asiana seats are also better than SQ and the crew more personable too, food is OK but EVA is better.

SQ is trading on past glory and is really pretty mediocre. They are never my first choice these days even though I'm a lifetime top tier with them.
I would agree. I flew business class with both Singapore and EVA, and EVA was by far a better experience. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky, but the crew on SQ were very unprofessional and the hard product was old and worn out. I couldn't understand why the airline has such a good name.

The crew on EVA on the other hand were excellent and it felt like the airline was in a different league altogether. On TPE-BKK-LHR the food and champagne were as good as anything I've ever had in First Class. Not to mention the Rimowa amenity kit! I would definitely choose them over SQ anyday!
lhrpete likes this.
Old May 10, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
I would agree. I flew business class with both Singapore and EVA, and EVA was by far a better experience. I'm not sure if I was just unlucky, but the crew on SQ were very unprofessional and the hard product was old and worn out. I couldn't understand why the airline has such a good name.

The crew on EVA on the other hand were excellent and it felt like the airline was in a different league altogether. On TPE-BKK-LHR the food and champagne were as good as anything I've ever had in First Class. Not to mention the Rimowa amenity kit! I would definitely choose them over SQ anyday!
Thai also have a very good C class product, especially on the new A350 and A380. I believe the 777 has the same seats but I haven't flown that. The food and service is excellent. Taxes and fees are usually lower with them too, particularly out of MXP and FCO.

On SQ, the C class availability usually only shows up on routes operated by the 777-200 (and the A330, but I don't think they fly to Europe any more) with the older interior, so you need to keep looking on routes where they operate - IST being one as you know. I sometimes see availability on that.
Old May 10, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
Thai also have a very good C class product...
Yes, I could have booked Thai from BKK to VIE with very low taxes, but in the end I decided to maximise my miles and experience by booking TPE-BKK-LHR with BR and tagging on LHR-ATH-IST-VIE in economy. I guess that the Extinction Rebellion campaign would have me hung, drawn and quartered for that!
:D! and yurtripper like this.
Old May 10, 19, 1:40 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
SQ out of IST is bookable, but is old J product. EVA from VIE is a good option as well, or OZ from FRA?
Old May 10, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
As SQ *G, I get the feeling I get no better treatment from them as KF Gold than as a *G from any partner airline (maybe worse even). And when you see the KrisFlyer Gold lounge at SIN you definitely feel like a second class citizen! They're all about PPS these days, and you can find quite a few people who managed to earn PPS even before reaching KF Gold. PPS at least lets you stuff the miles somewhere else while getting all the *G bennies and better recognition on SQ itself (SilverKris lounge in SIN, for instance).

TPE looks like it could be my next long-haul trip so EVA definitely seems the way to go.
Old May 17, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Speaking of Turkish Airlines business class, has anyone noticed that Aegean classifies it as first class for award travel? Is this correct at all?
Old May 17, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by btang View Post
Speaking of Turkish Airlines business class, has anyone noticed that Aegean classifies it as first class for award travel? Is this correct at all?
I've not noticed that. Although I haven't actually made a redemption on TK, I often see availability in Business class - at business class rates, never First. What do you mean exactly? Maybe show a screen-shot.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like there's some kind of bug in there. Checking now, the DO have flights showing as First instead of Business. In some cases, the same flight has both Business AND First - with the First having a lower Cash component (taxes and fees) than Business. On the flights with "First" there is never any Economy available so it looks like Y flights are being wrongly displayed somehow. It wasn't like that when I was searching the same routes a couple of days ago. I'm sure it'll go back to normal soon.

Last edited by Knobbgb; May 17, 19 at 8:12 am
Old May 18, 19, 6:02 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
already discussed on this topic: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31110046-post1880.html
TP is listed as well as F

Search this Thread